What is it worth?

JimmyJoe69

A friend of mine was just given a pistol in payment for some work he performed. It is a Colt 1911. The person who gave it to him claims it was given to his father while his father was in the military. I have done some online research and found out that (according to the serial number) the pistol was manufactured by Colt in 1918. It has the "United States Property" stamp on the left side of the dust shroud. According to my friend, the pistol is in perfect shape.... or as he puts it "not a scratch on it". Does anyone know what the value of this weapon might be? And do not start complaining about the lack of a photo.... I am working on it. ;) I am continuing to research the value for him, but I just thought someone on here might have some insight. Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine was just given a pistol in payment for some work he performed. It is a Colt 1911. The person who gave it to him claims it was given to his father while his father was in the military. I have done some online research and found out that (according to the serial number) the pistol was manufactured by Colt in 1918. It has the "United States Property" stamp on the left side of the dust shroud. According to my friend, the pistol is in perfect shape.... or as he puts it "not a scratch on it". Does anyone know what the value of this weapon might be? And do not start complaining about the lack of a photo.... I am working on it. ;) I am continuing to research the value for him, but I just thought someone on here might have some insight. Thanks.

Probably about $500.. I'll give you $600 because I'm rich and nice...

Ha, but seriously, I would guess several thousand dollars! Your friend is lucky for sure!

Honestly without seeing it theres no way to know if its authentic, been refinished, or has all matching parts. These things will all be issues in determining the real value. Weve sold 1911 colts anywhere from $400-$20,000.

If your friend is in our area, have him call me and schedule to come by... I can tell him what its worth in a matter of minutes.

Guest canynracer

In all seriousness, I have seen some pretty beat up ones sell for 500.00

if it is in that great of shape, I would imagine closer to 1000.00

Guest FroggyOne2

Look on the right side of the frame.. does it say SA above the trigger near the slide release pin? If so, it is a Spingfield Armory Ord rework.. this reduces the value.. if it does not then it may very well be original as issued.

Does it say "United States Property" on the left side of the frame and on the right side of the slide "Model of 1911 US Army"?

Is all of the writing on the firearm in white or blue like the rest of the finish on the piece?

Guest gcrookston

Value is $450 to $2,500 based on description provided. Original / refinished / refurbished? Matching? Attributable to the Navy or Marine Corps? Will it letter through Colt or Springfield Research Service? Too many variables.

Edited by gcrookston

OK guys... here is what I know and have seen. The pistol seems to have it's original finish on it and I cannot find a spot of rust on it anywhere (including under the grips which appear to be plastic). There is a marking on the left side of the frame just above the magazine eject button and below the slide that appears to be "Si6" and it is accompanied by a logo of some sort. Atop the slide just in front of the rear sight is the letter "P". There seems to be another mark on the underside of the slide and it appears to be the number "1". On the left side of the dust shroud is stamped the words "UNITED STATES PROPERTY". The surface of the breech face hardly has a mark on it. And the typical 1911 "wear ring" near the end of the barrel is very slight. My friend has an "U.S. ARMY" leather holster with it and on the back is has a date of 1944. Enclosed are some photos. Needless to say I am one jealous S.O.B. right now!! When I was taking these photos, I was handling it like it were a newborn child! Sorry about the greyish look of the photos, I forgot to adjust my camera for incandescent lighting thus causing the grey "hue". But it has the typical brownish look of an antique military firearm.

IMG_0615-1.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Edited by JimmyJoe69

A thing of interest.

I am no expert but that Eagle stamp is a WWI era inspection stamp and the si6 may possibly be S16. Everything seems to point to S and a number.

Edited by Garufa
To not appear an expert based on low-res pics and 5 minutes of Googlin'
Guest gcrookston

Based on the pictures it appears someone put this together. Although the frame is 1918, everything else I can see in the picture is not original to the gun. It doesn't appear to have been arsenal refurbished, otherwise the exterior finishes would match on the slide and frame and there would be an arsenal mark on the right side.

It would price as any used 1911 in similiar over-all condition. It has no collector value beyond the sum of its parts. Sorry.

yea, he came by and we did the appraisal for him. The guns a military parts gun with parts anywhere from 1913-1945... with a commercial barrel. The frames actually a 1913 from what my blue book serial number guide told me. Its a cool parts gun that would make someone a great shooter. The holster was originally brown and someone dyed it, so that killed the value of it as well. Its realistic value is anywhere from $400-$600.

Guest gcrookston
yea, he came by and we did the appraisal for him. The guns a military parts gun with parts anywhere from 1913-1945... with a commercial barrel. The frames actually a 1913 from what my blue book serial number guide told me. Its a cool parts gun that would make someone a great shooter. The holster was originally brown and someone dyed it, so that killed the value of it as well. Its realistic value is anywhere from $400-$600.

You priced it about right with $600 happening on a very lucky day, but it can't be 1913 with an Eagle head inspector's mark. Quite possibly the frame was refinished and scuffed of the 6th number of the ser#? My expertise ends about 1919 on the Military guns and about 1925 on the Civilians, though I remain familiar with the WWI and WW2 issue and prewar NM guns.

I'm not real happy with the holster, either. I've never seen one older than late 1950's that was factory black and that was crisp patent leather. Some in military stores were blackened in the 1960's, but most likely -- given the gun, it was shoe polished and as such adds only $20-30 to the value. Where it in it's original tan state, it would be $60-80 easily.

We have to remember these were available from the DCM for $25.00 in the 1950s and 60s. Many were customized. the 1911 frames were not popular because they lacked the finger cut-outs and often ended up in the parts bin when building a competition gun in favor of an Essex or A1 frame. The rest of the parts could have come from any number of sources. There were millions of them at one time ...

80 years from now they'll all be wondering why we butchered all those $5,000 SKS rifles with Tapco stocks, scopes and hi-cap mags.

Edited by gcrookston