Home Protection Shotgun

Guest VolMickey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest readyornot

If you want to build it yourself, start with the Mossberg 500 as a base and go from there. They are a quality gun at a very reasonable price. Then add the mods you want (heat shield, adjustable stock, extended mag tube, sling, ghost ring sights, etc)

Guest TurboJeff

VolMickey,

That is a sweet looking shotgun, as well as extremely reliable. You made a good choice.

I have a Mossberg 500 tactical w/18.5" bbl and a 590 with 20" bbl and ghost ring sights. Both have a TLR-1 mounted on left where I can work the switches with my left thumb. Definitely my first choice among my firearms for a HD situation.

Edited by TurboJeff
spelling
Guest Policek9Trainer

Guess I'm a little different. Got a Winchester Speed Pump Tactical 18in barrel 12ga 7 shot, all black, synthetic stock. I load a combination of sabot slugs and OO buck (alternating rounds) :D

Guest Mugster
Guess I'm a little different. Got a Winchester Speed Pump Tactical 18in barrel 12ga 7 shot, all black, synthetic stock. I load a combination of sabot slugs and OO buck (alternating rounds) :D

Your not that different. I like the winchester 1200/1300 series for its slick hull shucking goodness. I put a reddot sight on a 18" barreled defender trade-in I picked up at Hero Gear a year or so ago for pretty cheap and sighted it in at 100 yards. Does pretty good with the slugs. I load 2 slugs and then 4 3" 00 buck rounds on top. Its a beater, but, thats what you need outside of the safe.

Thinking about investing in a home-protection, tactical shotgun rig. If I were to build one out, what would be a good, solid (yet economical) shotgun to use a base? I've heard Mossberg 500s, Remington 870s, etc. Just curious...

Mossberg 500A 18.5" with Pachmayr.

DSCF1324.JPG

Don't know about tactical, but mine are pretty practical. Doesn't matter what you pay for the shotgun, or how it looks - as long as it is reliable and easy to handle. 00 Buck bites just as hard from a $150 beater as it does from a $900 supergun. Bottom: S&W (made by Howa) 870 clone, picked it up for $150. Next the Remington Mdl 11, cut the barrel myself, cost $225 and shipping through gunbroker. W1300 I picked up so long ago I don't have a clue what it cost, and finally, one of several M1 Carbines. Not a shotgun, but a dang fine HD gun.

For cheap and new, hard to beat the IAC/Norinco 982 (another 870 clone, well made, ghost sights.) Got one and replaced the plastic furniture with nice Remmy wood, it fit perfectly. Good machined extractors, metal trigger housing, not bad for about $260. It'd be in the picture if my step son hadn't "inherited" it prematurely.

DSC03600.jpg

Guest Policek9Trainer
W1300 I picked up so long ago I don't have a clue what it cost

My Speed Pump is identical to that.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but I'll share a thought that I had and influenced my buying decision.

I was in the market for a home defense shotgun, and after that I wanted to buy a fun carbine to play with. After pricing both and doing a little more research, I realized that I could skip the shotgun and get an AWESOMELY fun toy that's really great for close-quarters stuff: the FN PS90. The rounds do not over-penetrate, it has a 50-round magazine, and it's a lot easier for my wife to shoot.

Guest Policek9Trainer

Come on now, lets be practical, not everybody has 1500-2000 to be plunking down on toys. I personally still like to see the face and see them tweak their butt cheeks when the bad guy hears the round chambered. But they wouldn't hear that from me, as its already chambered. The topic was a home defense shotgun, not trying to be one up on the joneses :):2cents::up:

Guest Policek9Trainer

And who's being snotty? Because I call a 1500-2000 weapon a toy and speaking my opinion? You can buy 4-5 really good home protection shotguns for that kind of money :doh::up::):2cents::)

I like the mossberg because the safety switch is right there on top. I dont have to think about which way to press a trigger safety button, or wonder if I remembered to do it. That by far was the biggest factor in choosing my brand of HD shotgun.

plus of course get a light on it ...........

Because I call a 1500-2000 weapon a toy and speaking my opinion? You can buy 4-5 really good home protection shotguns for that kind of money.

Go back and read the post again, please.

I didn't say it made sense as a replacement for a shotgun. Obviously it isn't, given how much more it costs.

I said it made sense (for me) as a replacement for a carbine AND a shotgun. Taken together, it was about the same amount of money I was going to spend, and I just threw the idea out in case he was also considering the same thing.

I have 2 more old shotguns I picked up I'm thinking of cutting down for Katy-bar-the-door guns. So far I haven't had the heart to do it, as they are in great shape and are great shooters... an 1897 Winchester (love that exposed hammer) and an old Ithica model 37 in 16 gauge. Talk about smooooooth....

I'm not a bird hunter (and if I were, I have a Twelvette and a light twelve). I need to either shorten 'em or sell 'em... what to do, what to do...

Guest hickok

And a double barrel gun ain't nothing to sneeze at either, but you need to keep a cowboy hat on your bedpost in order to use the gun when something goes bump in the night! :-)

I have a Saiga 12 gauge with quadrail foldable stock and twenty round mags for my HPW. It's a little heavy for the misses so I may sell it, but man I really like it. Been having heart issues so I may have to unload a lot of stuff, but back to the thread I liked Mossys a lot when I was in the Navy.