comparability of .357sig to .38 super

how does .357sig compare to .38 super?

the reason i ask is that i know that .357sig is a great self defense round but i dont know about .38super. i was looking for a 1911 in .38super and cant find one at all, and even more important no one makes a magazine for it.

i know that .38super was developed primarily as a gaming round but does it have a place as a self defense round

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest OttoMaddox
how does .357sig compare to .38 super?

the reason i ask is that i know that .357sig is a great self defense round but i dont know about .38super. i was looking for a 1911 in .38super and cant find one at all, and even more important no one makes a magazine for it.

i know that .38super was developed primarily as a gaming round but does it have a place as a self defense round

From my understanding of it .38 super is almost exclusively a sport round (IDPA IPSC ETC) and rarely seen in a personal defense role. Whereas .357 sig approaches .357 magnum territory which most would agree has a sterling self defense record.

I've been flirting with the idea of picking up a glock in .40 and buying a .357 sig barrel for it. Anyone out there done this?

Actually, the .38 Super was not develped for competition, but power and penetration. Developed in the late '20's to overcome the shortcomings of the .38 ACP. Until the .357 Magnum came along it had the distinction of being the most powerful handgun cartridge.

Edited by Garufa
Spelling!

As far as 1911 38 Supers go, I believe Joe and Dan at Hero Gear can hook you up on a Colt. Rock Island .38 supers are all over Gunbroker and in stock at Centerfire Systems.

From what I hear 1911 .38 Supers are one of the most in-demand guns south of the border.

A lot are purchased here and find there way there.

Edited by R1100R

the game in chattanooga has gone from shooting the ammunition to finding the ammunition.

found some .40 at a walmart across town and bought up about half of it. i got an evil look from the better half after buying 500 rounds. but hey, you cant find that stuff anywhere. that is the game i have been playing =)

Guest 70below

I'm sure a .38 super would be a perfectly solid defense round, you may have trouble finding good factory defense loadings though. Making some quality reloads would probably be necessary. .38 super is probably so popular in Mexico because .38 is the largest caliber allowed for civilians. Military calibers are also not acceptable. Most shoot .38 Special, .380, or .38 super.

The 357 Sig is one helluva round. My father, my mother and my wife all carry Sig 239's in that caliber. Also my Dad uses a Glock 33 in said round. Additionally, in the winter I carry a glock 31 in 357 Sig. Nuff said as to what I think about that round.

The super was designed in the 20's to defeat the body armor and car bodies available at the time. It worked great then and works great now. However, it doesn't really offer that much over a +P loaded 9mm. What it does offer is panache. It can be a very accurate round, and is just fun. As to defensive rounds, I believe both cor- bon and winchester still offer good defensive loadings for it.