I'm a new shooter... Can I participate?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Dickson or Gallatin Gun Club. Gallatin is having a Glock match next month. IDPA matches start back in April. You do not have to shoot a Glock to participate. Glock matches are simple and straight forward. There is not too much to them. Come out, give it a try, and meet some of the other shooters.

all clubs welcome new shooters. try several (each has it own flavor). just based on what we have seen. the IDPA clubs seems to be more laid back if you will. with small stages. Gallatin and Music city are ran by pretty much the same people and I am sure you will enjoy. just do not be late at Gallatin, you will be locked out.

NTPS does put on some great matches also. we recommend, try them all.

IDPA is always a good way to start. Volunteer Gun Club out in Brush creek holds IDPA matches the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month. If I wasn't trying to kick a nasty case of bronchitis I'd be getting ready to go out today.

Guest abailey362

I am still newer to competitive shooting, but still always try and help out ay newbies as much as I can. Most clubs should be open to new people, but if you find one that's not then move on. The point of the game is to hone skills and have fun, and I wouldnt want to go out shooting as often if both didn't hold true

Guest macmonkey

IDPA is very newbie friendly and is really like a golf game with 20-30 other guys. A lot of joking, swearing and trash talking (friendly trash talking). You will get hooked right away if you are anything like me.

There's no other way to "get into it" without just going - ready to shoot. Show up on time ( or early if you want to help setup - which I would highly recommend ). Safety should be your only concern. Everything else can be picked up as you go.

Good luck!