Reloads for PD?

Ok I know it has been said many times not to use handloads for PD. But with ammo getting scarce and unbelievably expensive, I keep thinking, WHY?

Why does it matter from a legal standpoint. Are there real cases where it has been used against someone, who legally defended themselves with a firearm?

How would someone know if I used a reload? It would be very easy to use factory components to assembly ammunition that looked just like factory.

I don't want an uberkiller round just something that shoots straight, that I can use for both practice and PD.

Thoughts

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Its your choice really. I don't know if there's really much of a legal precedent for using reloads in a SD situation. For me, personally, I don't trust myself enough to bet my life on stuff I loaded. So I stick to factory stuff. Its still in good supply.

• Administrator

I think the potential, perceived, perhaps even imagined risks carry a far greater cost than the price tag of a box of quality factory-loaded ammunition. Save the reloads for shooting practice and reduce the "ammo" that you might inadvertently give some overzealous attorney by using something of your own recipe.

Its your choice really. I don't know if there's really much of a legal precedent for using reloads in a SD situation. For me, personally, I don't trust myself enough to bet my life on stuff I loaded. So I stick to factory stuff. Its still in good supply.

Ditto - I've had enough duds in ammo I've reloaded to make me seriously doubt the quality of some of the reloading components (i.e. primers) available to reloaders. I'll stick with the expensive stuff for carry.

I am not aware of any instances of self-defense where handloads have caused any problems, but I am aware of one case where handloads really screwed over a guy in a court case.

Here is a pretty good write-up on the case by Massad Ayoob. The Daniel Bias case: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_181_30/ai_n26806104

Granted, that case is not a self-defense case, but it does illustrate how a prosecutor can go after someone due to an issue related to handloads. My personal advice: use handloads for practice, target shooting, and hunting; use factory ammo for defense purposes.

Guest krater
Ok I know it has been said many times not to use handloads for PD. But with ammo getting scarce and unbelievably expensive, I keep thinking, WHY?

Why does it matter from a legal standpoint. Are there real cases where it has been used against someone, who legally defended themselves with a firearm?

How would someone know if I used a reload? It would be very easy to use factory components to assembly ammunition that looked just like factory.

I don't want an uberkiller round just something that shoots straight, that I can use for both practice and PD.

Thoughts

Use what your local LE agency is using. Mine uses Goden Sabre.