If you live in E TN and need an Emergency Room....

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

Don't go to St. Mary's North off of Emory Rd (a little north of Knoxville). They killed a co-worker of mine last night. She was admitted yesterday for being severely ill. She was a small girl and whatever medicine they gave her, they gave her twice the amount her body weight required and she went into cardiac arrest. They whip out the defibrillator and lo and behold... its broken. It wont charge. By the time they got a different defibber there, it had been several minutes since her heart had stopped and they could not resuscitate. I really didn't know her well and had only talked to her a time or two in the course of my job, but she was a sweet girl. It really makes you think. Here today, gone tomorrow. Just a reminder to enjoy life while it lasts.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rando

That is very sad and our thoughts and prayers are with the family. I hate to say it but it happens to often my mother-in-law was in Knox. not sure which hospital a couple of weeks ago and came within inches of getting a shot before the nurse told her what it was and jumped off of the table just in time, she was highly allergic to what they were about to give her and it was in the paper work she had just filled out for them:screwy:

Guest bkelm18
Sounds like her family should be able to sue the pants off the hospital for this one. That certainly doesn't bring her back, but the hospital needs to be held accountable for their negligence.

I hope they do. It's really inexcusable that stuff like that happens this day and age.

This is the kind of thing that needs to be in the news! What a tragedy. I only hope that her family can come to terms with this type of loss.

I've met and known alot of nurses around Knoxville on a social basis. God help you in a crisis. Everyone you ever meet will have a story of how someone went "whoops" and then a life was changed. MANY out there are not the sharpest tack in the box.

I'm not trying to get down on health care "professionals" but they are held to a higher standard and mistakes are unacceptable.

I've met and known alot of nurses around Knoxville on a social basis. God help you in a crisis. Everyone you ever meet will have a story of how someone went "whoops" and then a life was changed. MANY out there are not the sharpest tack in the box.

You may be confusing a nurse and a nurse's assistant.

• Administrator
I hope they do. It's really inexcusable that stuff like that happens this day and age.

My wife, an RN, just told me that it is a Federal law that defibrillators HAVE to be checked each and every day and logged as such. If someone has been forging the signatures on the logs, then there is an even more massive chance for a lawsuit here.

Her family needs to get a good attorney.

Guest bkelm18
My wife, an RN, just told me that it is a Federal law that defibrillators HAVE to be checked each and every day and logged as such. If someone has been forging the signatures on the logs, then there is an even more massive chance for a lawsuit here.

Her family needs to get a good attorney.

Thats interesting to know. I'm sure they will get an attorney. Her brother and his wife also work there and they seem like pretty level headed folks.

Guest Traumaslave
Don't go to St. Mary's North off of Emory Rd (a little north of Knoxville). They killed a co-worker of mine last night. She was admitted yesterday for being severely ill. She was a small girl and whatever medicine they gave her, they gave her twice the amount her body weight required and she went into cardiac arrest. They whip out the defibrillator and lo and behold... its broken. It wont charge. By the time they got a different defibber there, it had been several minutes since her heart had stopped and they could not resuscitate. I really didn't know her well and had only talked to her a time or two in the course of my job, but she was a sweet girl. It really makes you think. Here today, gone tomorrow. Just a reminder to enjoy life while it lasts.

You have far too much information for that sort of an incident to have occured as stated. Not that it wouldn't be divulged but, it's not going to come out this early.

Guest bkelm18
You have far too much information for that sort of an incident to have occured as stated. Not that it wouldn't be divulged but, it's not going to come out this early.

Too much info? I stated two things. An overdose of medicine and a faulty defibrillator. How exactly is that too much? Is there a limit to the information I should know 48 hrs after the event? One of the people in my shop is very good friends with the family. They pretty much were at the hospital the entire time including about 24 hrs after the event. So maybe you can talk to the family and tell them they have too much info. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest Traumaslave
They killed a co-worker of mine last night.

You're statement is very bold for someone who is getting 3rd hand emotional info about a situation you know nothing about.

Guest Hyaloid
You're statement is very bold for someone who is getting 3rd hand emotional info about a situation you know nothing about.

And yours are equally 'bold' and unnecessarily argumentative.

You must work for the hospital in question, eh?

Your last sentence would imply that you know something about the situation that would qualify you to make bold assertions, that you are deriding the original poster for making because he 'knows nothing about' it.

Care to share?

Guest Traumaslave
And yours are equally 'bold' and unnecessarily argumentative.

You must work for the hospital in question, eh?

Your last sentence would imply that you know something about the situation that would qualify you to make bold assertions, that you are deriding the original poster for making because he 'knows nothing about' it.

Care to share?

I do not nor have I ever worked for the hospital in question. I do work as an ER RN and have done so for 8 yrs in major trauma centers between Cincinnati and eastern Tn.

With that said, there are very few drugs (like less than 5) that would cause someone to go into cardiac arrest by simply giving a double dose and these drugs are mixed by a pharmacist with 3 or more safety checks at the time of prep and 3 more checks at the time of administration, all initiated by a doctor's order. Without knowing exactly what the pt's diagnosis for treatment was, it is difficult to say which drug may have been given but, highly unlikely to have been one that would have caused her unfortunate demise.

As far as the defibulator not functioning, it has already been stated that these are checked at least on a daily basis, if not 2-3 times a day for function. Not to mention that even in outlying poedunk ERs, there are more than 1 in every ER so, in the highly unlikely care of malfunction, another is just steps away, not minutes. During a recesitation CPR is being provided. A defibrillator is only used to shock the heart out of a lethal arrythmia which is not providing the pumping action to provide the body with oxygen. CPR provides this pumping action. A failed defibulator and the short time it would take to replace it would not cause her death.

The information provided by bkelm is vague and again, 3rd hand and emotionally based for such a strong statement as "THEY KILLED HER!" He was not there to have witnessed this. If in fact the situation went down as stated, and again it is highly unlikely, that information would not be given directly to the family due to situations just like this. It would be handled through the legal department.

I am sorry for the family's loss. That may sound very cliche but, anyone who goes before their time is sad and no one should have to burry their children. My intention is not to be argumentative but, to give comfort from experience and knowledge from an outside party.

Guest bkelm18
I do not nor have I ever worked for the hospital in question. I do work as an ER RN and have done so for 8 yrs in major trauma centers between Cincinnati and eastern Tn.

With that said, there are very few drugs (like less than 5) that would cause someone to go into cardiac arrest by simply giving a double dose and these drugs are mixed by a pharmacist with 3 or more safety checks at the time of prep and 3 more checks at the time of administration, all initiated by a doctor's order. Without knowing exactly what the pt's diagnosis for treatment was, it is difficult to say which drug may have been given but, highly unlikely to have been one that would have caused her unfortunate demise.

As far as the defibulator not functioning, it has already been stated that these are checked at least on a daily basis, if not 2-3 times a day for function. Not to mention that even in outlying poedunk ERs, there are more than 1 in every ER so, in the highly unlikely care of malfunction, another is just steps away, not minutes. During a recesitation CPR is being provided. A defibrillator is only used to shock the heart out of a lethal arrythmia which is not providing the pumping action to provide the body with oxygen. CPR provides this pumping action. A failed defibulator and the short time it would take to replace it would not cause her death.

The information provided by bkelm is vague and again, 3rd hand and emotionally based for such a strong statement as "THEY KILLED HER!" He was not there to have witnessed this. If in fact the situation went down as stated, and again it is highly unlikely, that information would not be given directly to the family due to situations just like this. It would be handled through the legal department.

I am sorry for the family's loss. That may sound very cliche but, anyone who goes before their time is sad and no one should have to burry their children. My intention is not to be argumentative but, to give comfort from experience and knowledge from an outside party.

Perhaps you could point out where I said "THEY KILLED HER!". I'd like to see it. And to continue this discussion, several witnesses have confirmed that the defibrillator malfunctioned and had it worked they might have saved her. Secondly, by the doctor's/nurse's own admission which was also confirmed by an autopsy, the excess of medication given to her likely led to her heart problems. Any and all info I have gotten has been through my co-worker that is close with the family. I highly doubt he would fabricate anything. If you care to continue to be an ******* and dispute it, go right ahead, but I'm not going to argue about it. As far as getting emotional, this was someone known to me that was also very well liked around my place of work. If you have problems with anything I have said you can kindly go piss up a rope. Mods feel free to close this thread if you wish. Apparently some people just have to get their daily dose of being a douche in.

Guest 70below

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of a coworker of yours, its always an emotional time when someone you know dies, regardless of how close they are. I'm sure if the hospital was negligent in their actions and duties, there will be serious repercussions to their actions. Time will tell, and its terrible either way that it happened. I know one nurse at St. Mary's, I don't know that she was working that night, or that she works the ER, but she is one of the most highly trained, intelligent people I have ever known. She has over 30year experience and has trained at some of the countries most respected facilities, as well as continuing experience as a senior member in the Air Guard. It is possible that they screwed up and cost someone their life, but it could have been one persons error, and might not be representative of the whole.

Guest bkelm18
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of a coworker of yours, its always an emotional time when someone you know dies, regardless of how close they are. I'm sure if the hospital was negligent in their actions and duties, there will be serious repercussions to their actions. Time will tell, and its terrible either way that it happened. I know one nurse at St. Mary's, I don't know that she was working that night, or that she works the ER, but she is one of the most highly trained, intelligent people I have ever known. She has over 30year experience and has trained at some of the countries most respected facilities, as well as continuing experience as a senior member in the Air Guard. It is possible that they screwed up and cost someone their life, but it could have been one persons error, and might not be representative of the whole.

Oh I agree. I wasn't blaming any individual or group. I know mistakes happen but you have to be held accountable for your mistakes. I have the highest respect for many doctors and nurses. My original post wasn't to deride the healthcare system or that particular hospital necessarily. I was just putting info out there so people can make educated decisions if they are looking for info about area hospitals for whatever reason, also to point out the fact that we should all enjoy what life we have left, because you just never know.

Guest Traumaslave
Don't go to St. Mary's North off of Emory Rd (a little north of Knoxville). They killed a co-worker of mine last night.

Your post also states "They killed her" and "last night". How soon we forget when confronted and are without pliable debate. :screwy:

Autopsy results take a couple of days to obtain and would not have been available by the time you posted, nor would the autopsy have been completed by the time of your post, nor would it have been completed at the facility where an incident occured which results in a day or 2 for transfer. Several witnesses would not be able to come forward with any such information as they would have been employees involved in the code not family. Employees are bound by the hospital in a gag order of sort and wouldn't divulge such information. Family are taken away from such stressful situations as they can't handle what is going on nor can they understand it. Your information does not wash. I'm sorry you feel the need to resort to name calling and personal attacks when your "facts" are challenged. I guess other people just feel that makes them better than others and need to get their daily dose in.

Guest Traumaslave
. My original post wasn't to deride the healthcare system or that particular hospital necessarily.

And what is the title of this thread????????:screwy:

A few years back my Uncle went to a Doc in a Box (walk in clinic) for what he thought was a bad case of the flu. They told him to go home and get plenty of sleep, without checking him out. He woke up in respiratory distress and died before the paramedics arrived. It turned out that it was walking pneumonia. That was the man who got me into guns and taught me to shoot. At that point in time I wanted to drill one into that moron who called himself a doctor.

Guest Rando

come on people either way a young lady lost her life and this isnt the way to treat her memory. Yes it does happen to often that something is done wrong but how many go through the day without making mistakes on the job. I know I do but not all jobs have results such as this I would hate to have that kind of pressure on me with everything I did in a days work. Please hold it where you got it and just pray for the family until it all comes out and we get all of the facts.

Rest in Peace little lady:angel:

. Several witnesses would not be able to come forward with any such information as they would have been employees involved in the code not family. Employees are bound by the hospital in a gag order of sort and wouldn't divulge such information. Family are taken away from such stressful situations as they can't handle what is going on nor can they understand it.

Sorry but that is BS. You can quote policy, but I deal with this every day as well and you are not gonna sit here and try to say that is how it goes down everytime are you? There are always extenuating circumstances. I have never been to a code that went exactly the same and there are always employees who will leak info to the family.

I'm not saying all the info BKelm got was correct, but I think you'd have been better served to either offer condolences only or just not comment. You were either looking for an argument by trying to be inflammatory or you have more stake in the issue than you are letting on. Hospitals screw up and kill people every damn day and you know it.

Either way someone lost their life.

Guest mn32768

I had to take my wife to St. Mary's North ER this past Sunday. Waited 2 hrs to be checked in by a nurse. The facility is really posh with hardwood floors, modern decor and flatscreen TVs with cable in waiting rooms -- but the electronic heart / BP / oxygen monitor in the exam room was busted. The nurse had to keep on resetting it by unplugging it from the wall socket. Waited another 3 hrs to be seen by a doctor, then 5 mins to get a prescription. There was a woman puking her guts out and screaming in pain for a good three hours in the waiting room before she was called in. This was only the second time I've been to an ER, so I don't know if St. Mary's North is typical or not, just an observation.

A few years back my Uncle went to a Doc in a Box (walk in clinic) for what he thought was a bad case of the flu. They told him to go home and get plenty of sleep, without checking him out. He woke up in respiratory distress and died before the paramedics arrived. It turned out that it was walking pneumonia. That was the man who got me into guns and taught me to shoot. At that point in time I wanted to drill one into that moron who called himself a doctor.

Similar, friend of mine went to a walk-in clinic. The diagnosis was slight pneumonia, gave her an inhaler and some meds. 2 days later she still wasn't able to breathe well, went to the emergency room at the advice of another friend (Nurse Practitioner) and was admitted with pulmonary embolism, both lungs.

Doctors do screw up and will at least kill one patient in their career.