Elk Hunting in KY and TN

Here is a link if anybody wants to apply for a Kentucky Elk lottery permit

https://fw.ky.gov/license/olpsintro.aspx

If you get drawn the non-resident tag is $360. Very reasonable considering it cost $600-$1000 for non residents out west. The application fee is $10.

Tennessee is going to have their first Elk hunt Oct 19-23. There will be a total of 5 permits available. 4 will be drawn through a lottery system and 1 will be raffled off for charity. You can apply for the TN hunt starting April 1st.

So who is going to try to a draw a Tn Elk Tag? (besides me)

Edited by KahrMan
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where my family is from in Arkansas, we hear them bugling all the time. I've even seen herds driving home. This is in NW Arkansas (Harrison) I would love to take an elk one day. I think i'll try!

Guest Mugster

I'll be in the tn draw but not kentucky's. Course the other thing is, it'll be a trip to go hunt one.

This thing is turning into a money deal. If the state can raffle one off, what's to prevent a winner from a similar raffle?

Guest Mugster
Tags are non-transferable...

That assumes you believe that people follow the rules and check in only what they, themselves, actually shoot, in the place that they shoot it. The tag system is broken for whitetail, much less a rare animal like elk. Bonus buck has taken on a whole new meaning. Not that I blame guys for doing it.

I just wish the state wouldn't do it (the raffle). I think it's morally wrong to sell game animals for profit. Even if the profit is for charity. Should have to pay for one big game tag for all the big game. Thats why they call it a "big game tag" in the first place.

Sorry, I'm just at my breaking point with the state hunting rules and fees. I don't think 150 bucks for a sportman's license is doing the people that need to hunt/fish for the meat any favors.

Guest betobeto
That assumes you believe that people follow the rules and check in only what they, themselves, actually shoot, in the place that they shoot it. The tag system is broken for whitetail, much less a rare animal like elk. Bonus buck has taken on a whole new meaning. Not that I blame guys for doing it.

I just wish the state wouldn't do it (the raffle). I think it's morally wrong to sell game animals for profit. Even if the profit is for charity. Should have to pay for one big game tag for all the big game. Thats why they call it a "big game tag" in the first place.

Sorry, I'm just at my breaking point with the state hunting rules and fees. I don't think 150 bucks for a sportman's license is doing the people that need to hunt/fish for the meat any favors.

+100000

Guest jackdog

No thanks I prefer Montana and Wyoming. The whole lottery deal is pretty immoral from where I sit. But I gotta tell ya that is some fantastic eating.

Why do yo think the tag system is broken. You can take up to three bucks and something like over 100 does if you get a Sportsman license. If you hunt for food, you can take just more does than you could eat in a year. I like the limit on bucks. People are more willing to let the young ones walk.

Guest mustangdave
we have elk? never heard this before

oh yeh...the ELKS and the MOOSE brothers usually hang out at a LODGE...drink beer socialize...easy to nail from a tree stand out in the parking lot as they leave to go home. Not to be confused with the VFW Hall...though some may be dual members

Guest Mugster
Why do yo think the tag system is broken. You can take up to three bucks and something like over 100 does if you get a Sportsman license. If you hunt for food, you can take just more does than you could eat in a year. I like the limit on bucks. People are more willing to let the young ones walk.

Yeah, well, I'll let anything under about 6 points walk unless its a real big one. But we aren't everyone and we aren't even in the majority. I just shoot for fun and I like a good venison steak. So if I don't get anything, thats ok too.

And while what you wrote seems like good logic, and I agree with you for people with enough income to do it, I know several that didn't hunt this year because they couldn't come up with the $140 it takes in ammo and licenses. And they could really use the meat too. I've donated either whole does or meat in past years but I didn't do it this year for whatever reason.

What people do on check in, they use draw hunts and get bonus bucks. Then they do some shooting and haul the buck into a WMA station. Or, on regions with 1 or 2 buck limits, they haul into a 3 buck limit region and check it. Or, 2 or 3 guys go in together and check everything on one tag. I know it goes on, but, like watching someone shoot an illegal SBR at the range, I'm not turning anyone in. But the state doesn't care...and we're going to be lucky if the price of license doesn't double next year.

I'm planning on going to one of the twra board meetings and giving them a piece of my mind. I'd like to see a hardship clause for a license or something like that.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I will be in the draw. I lived in CO for a couple of years and never managed to draw a tag there. My understanding on the TN Elk Draw is that it is fairly political and the TWRA is basically being forced to allow an elk hunt this year (by whom exactly, I am not sure). My source is my neighbor who is a TWRA employee. Our elk herd is really not at a point to sustain hunting - from what I understand from my neighbor anyway. Regardless, I will put in for a tag and I will be very happy to just have a chance to go elk hunting without paying the $500 non-res fee for Colorado.

Guest trikerjay
No thanks I prefer Montana and Wyoming. The whole lottery deal is pretty immoral from where I sit. But I gotta tell ya that is some fantastic eating.

lots of elk in northern arizona but we still had a lottery. we had a lottery for any big game hunting. it was so hard to get drawn most just stopped hunting all together. that is exactly what the tree hugging hippies that are running the state wanted. arizona is now just a suburb of california. i havent been hunting since i was 13 because of the lottery and i am 34 now.

later jay

AMEN BROTHER, PREACH ON!;)