How do you get an M1A at a decent price???

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rem_700

I ordered my Standard springfiled M1A at the begining of last summer.For a brand new one in the box I paid $1400 and that was my local gun shop ordering it.Only took it 4 days to get here.If you want their phone number I can get it for you,but I assume that it may take longer now.

Guest mustangdave

What would you consider a FAIR price? I know that Springfield Armory M1A's are going for anywhere between $1700-2100 depending on the model...and these are NEW not USED...Now if you're looking for an M1 Carbine...you can get those for around $700 retail locally

Edited by mustangdave
What would you consider a FAIR price? I know that Springfield Armory M1A's are going for anywhere between $1700-2100 depending on the model...and these are NEW not USED...Now if you're looking for an M1 Carbine...you can get those for around $700 retail locally

That sounds about right. I was wondering if I could find a used one in good condition somewhere. I may be better off ordering a new one from Springfield. thanks!

Guest mustangdave
Paid 1500 for a SOCOM16, 2 weeks ago. I have also seen SOCOM 16's going for 1900 and 2200 here in GA.

Ain't that SOCOM 16 purdy? First time i saw one at the gunshop I was like:cool:...niiiiiicccce.

Guest Linoge

At a decent price?

Find a magazine with an M1A advertisement in it, and cut it out.

My SOCOM II set me back $1800 when I snagged it in the People's Republic of Kalifornistan, but those were absurdly expensive at the time, and they still are now. A basic, wood-stocked, no special frills one should not be too bad.

I paid $475 for mine, plus another $100 for the National Match upgrade. Of course, this was in 1977. It has had one or two barrel replacements, a new, "heavy" walnut stock, a bolt replacement and been rebedded a couple of times over the years. It still shoots M.O.A. or better with match grade hand loads and took me to the master class in highpower.

So, my advice is buy one now and consider it a long term investment. If you shoot, either plinking or competition, there is nothing more satisfying than having a piece of equipment that works and works very well. If you do buy one, try to find one with G.I. parts, with the exception of the barrel. If you have a choice, opt for the heavy match barrel and national match sights, they are worth the extra money.

If you plan to shoot beyond 300 yards, I would suggest that you acquire the standard length barrel. Does barrel length and glass bedding make a difference? Absolutely! You can always purchase a standard model and have a service rifle gunsmith provide the upgrades as you deem them necessary. We are fortunate to have a couple of top notch service rifle gunsmiths in the middle TN area who know how to maximize the performance of an M1A.

Now, if you want a .308/7.62x51 battle rifle that does not require the maintainence of an M1A, I would suggest an FN FAL. A decent kit built on an Imbel receiver is a great choice. Plus, parts and magazines are more reasonable for a metric FAL than an M1A. Accuracy with an FAL ranges from 3 inch groups at 100 yards with ball ammo to 1 inch when using match grade hand loads.

Another option is to purchase a CMP M1 Garand and rebarrel it to .308. This is an excellent choice to avoid the high price of replacement M1A/M14 parts. I rebarreled my dad's M1 to .308, had it bedded and added national match sights. The groups its shoots are virtually identical to those shot with my M1A.

Good luck!

Guest gcrookston

I paid $700.00 for my NM used in 1999, but I didn't know anything about them and made a huge mistake buying a former competition NM which was very, very tired. Luckily my 88k ser# range Springfield receiver was true. I had the entire rifle rebuilt to resemble one I'd seen at Little Creek by a former armorer that had built competition and sniper rifles for the Marines and Navy for over 20 years. Finally in 2009 the prices are nearing what it originally cost me and if I ignore the time-value of money, I may break-even sometime in the next five years.

I still have a few contacts in the competition world... Current price for a match grade build is in the neighborhood of 4K, last I heard. This is from the guy that builds the rifles for the VA state rifle team, and a whole bunch of east coast military match shooters.

Guest gcrookston
I still have a few contacts in the competition world... Current price for a match grade build is in the neighborhood of 4K, last I heard. This is from the guy that builds the rifles for the VA state rifle team, and a whole bunch of east coast military match shooters.

Mine was a little over $3,200 before I added optics...

rings.jpg

The total money pit. I thought I would get it done for about $1,200 or the cost of a new NM back during that time... But I was scrounging NOS parts for my builder and he was rejecting them, and the Douglas blank had issues turning, and then there was that frigging stock. This is the 4th one I provided that was finally accepted by the Gunny for the project (a Springfield UltraMatch). I'm not even going to start on the half dozen new op-rods and three new complete bolt assemblies I have in a bag in the garage that were unacceptable...

Edited by gcrookston
Guest mustangdave

you said a magic word...Little Creek...LOL how long ago were you there? I goback for visits every couple of years. Mark, I picked up a Mini 14 yesterday...nice tactical model...wife not to thrilled, but she'll get over it with her birthday present next week.

Guest gcrookston

mustangdave, my brother was stationed there from 1989-1998 in Teams 2 and 4. I lived in Greensboro from 1994-96 and used to get up there when he was in country for visits and to play with toys without adult supervision (he was Annapolis 1988, BUDS that winter --15?).

I remember the first time we approached the gate in my car, he said "have all your id and registration ready", Must have been the Mustang Cobra, they just waived us on. Marcinko's Mercedes was still tucked out back of the motor pool the first time I visited. In the armory I saw some great guns, but what really struck me was the M14 / M21 rifle. I built mine upon the one I saw there, right down to the ARMS mounts and Mk4 scope. The Gunny that built my rifle had been stationed there off and on from 1968 to 1988 and I met him at the reunion in 1995. It was a real biotch putting together that rifle. I'd send him a trigger pack or bolt new in the cosmo and he'd send it back tell me to find one 1/ 32nds of such and such. Damn I hated that guy, but he built me a fine rifle.

Edited by gcrookston

Have you checked Sportsman Warehouse in Chatt? They had a few last yr. around $1500. and also had both a Socom 1 as well as a Socom 11, which was last Oct. and the Socom 11 was about $1550.

They charge 10% above cost and if you find one, ask at the main counter when there is a sale or Credi Card rive going on and you save 5%.

I have found their prices exc. on the 2 guns i got there!:P

Have you checked Sportsman Warehouse in Chatt? They had a few last yr. around $1500. and also had both a Socom 1 as well as a Socom 11, which was last Oct. and the Socom 11 was about $1550.

They charge 10% above cost and if you find one, ask at the main counter when there is a sale or Credi Card rive going on and you save 5%.

I have found their prices exc. on the 2 guns i got there!:P

They can't get anything right now and don't have anything with their buyout/store closing mess I bet it will be awhile before they are rolling new stuff in.

Guest abailey362

I didn't see one yesterday but also didn't get to spend as much looking time as I had wanted since it was packed and it was hard to get up to the counter....sounds like a decent price though if it's in good shape