Next Build - Which Caliber

Snaveba

I guess I just like building rifles. 

I was doing to make my next build a big-bore, something like 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM (kind of expensive to build correctly) or maybe 350 Legend (not completely big-bore).  But as I delved deeper into hunting rounds, and reaching out to a target at some distance, I started looking at the other possibilities. 

6.5 Grendel

6.8 SPC

6mm ARC

Now I want the collective wisdom of the group.  Not that I am a big hunter, but if I was to have the oppurtunity to hunt medium game (boar, whitetail, ect) what would be the best next build.

I am trying to stay away from the AR10 platform at the moment.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All about what you think you want out of it or might use it for.

Rank this 1 to 4 in order of importance to you. 

Long Range Shooting (Target / PRS Gas Gun / Match Shooting) 
Medium range (300 yards and under) target or fun plinking 
Hunting (game animals of typical North American size) 
Hunting (varmint, predator, small game) 

I put together a 6.5 Grendel using different lower and upper that I put together. On the barrel I went with the Faxon Gunner 16' barrel. It has taken 5 whitetails from 40 yards to 175 yards. It seems to like the 123 SST's the best. I have dies, brass and bullets but waiting till i need them🤫

Depending on your planned use, I would lean toward the Grendel.  Ammo is probably a little more common and if you are hunting or shooting mid-range targets, it will do well.  I personally like the 6 ARC the best of these three, but only Hornady makes ammo for it and it's not real common (not that much is).  I have an ARC built on an Aero upper and lower with a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel, and it's a shooter, but I have lots of brass for it.  The ARC is flatter and stays supersonic longer and is a legit 1000 yard round in a small frame AR, but kicks like a BB gun and will still take a deer.  If I didn't have that, I would buy The Legion's Uintah Precision 6 ARC bolt gun he has for sale in the classifieds.  That's a sweet rig.