Storage life of powder

After a long, long absence (20 years) from reloading I am finally getting back into it. This may be a stupid question, but I have 7 or 8 pounds of powder that has been in storage all this time. Some of the cans are still sealed. Is this usable? If not how do I dispose of it?

Thanks

Glenn

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I'll take of it for you...one shot at a time. :tough:

Do a visual inspection I'd say. If it looks good it probably is. Do a good workup with it. You can google around for what ruined powder looks like. There is also a distinctive aroma.

Guest david_g17

The general consensus is that if it has an "acidic" smell, toss it.

Otherwise, use it. From what I've read, the only things that will affect it are moisture (unlikely if it's still sealed) and heat (hopefully it wasn't stored in an attic).

The general consensus is that if it has an "acidic" smell, toss it.

Otherwise, use it. From what I've read, the only things that will affect it are moisture (unlikely if it's still sealed) and heat (hopefully it wasn't stored in an attic).

Yeah..if is smells caustic is may be bad.

It should, however, still have a chemical smell to it...not unlike the one when opening a new roll of 35mm film or sealed computer part.

If kept from moisture it lasts a long time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.