Dream Gun! Steyr AUG M3 A1

Smith

This has been one of my dream guns for the longest time. Closest I ever got were the series of MSAR STG E4's I had over the years. The MSAR's were great, but I had always wanted a Steyr. Since Steyr started importing them again a while back and prices have dropped some, I was able to pick one up. Who needs an SBR or braces when you can have a bullpup!

I did get a little sacrilegious and went with the NATO stock, but that is because I had an abundance of AR mags. Since I was already familiar with the platform I knew what I wanted to add so ... it got the 20/20 Sear, Corvus QD takedown pin, Ratworx TR-1A fore rail, Ratworx Hybrid bolt, and a Corvus brass deflector. I added a Magpul/ADM QD bipod, foregrip, and Strike Cloak FH with a Strike Oppressor (for indoor ranges).

Haven't been able to make it to the range yet and I am still experimenting with optics. I'll either use a Holosun 510C with a flip to the side 5x magnifier or a PA SLx 1-6x24 ACSS. The pics below have a Burris AR223, that I was using as a placeholder. The Bi-pod is for the range. I also have a Wilderness Tactical Giles sling that works great with this gun.

Now all I need is that full size Uzi B and my  80's movie dream gun collection will be made!  

With the SI Oppressor:

1236477071_AUGA3M131USA168(3).thumb.jpg.b6b57882be6ac8eefd9be1842ac24979.jpg

without the SI Oppressor:

724346992_AUGA3M131USA168(2).thumb.jpg.4856a1ee6c70dddba85baf27c9ff75ef.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2023 at 9:29 PM, hipower said:

Envious!! I had one of the Dreaded MSAR versions for a while. Not bad, at least to me; but I really didn't know much about them. Finally sold it for more than I paid, and bought a couple pistols with the cash.

Why dreaded? I haven’t done a whole lot of research on them but was thinking about looking for one.  

39 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Why dreaded? I haven’t done a whole lot of research on them but was thinking about looking for one.  

Customer service. I had several and all were great guns. In some ways they were better than the Steyr, but due to the lack of interchangeability of a few parts and the horrible customer service, they tended to get a bad rep. 

Now that Steyr is importing them again, there's no reason to not get the better Steyr.

About a year before moving out here, a darn customer came in to our little gun counter at the hardware shop where I worked and received a darn Steyr AUG. That bum planted a seed that resulted in me snagging one, also a NATO variant, for the same reasons as you, Smith, mags, lots and lots of mags already!

I sprung for the sear and a brass deflector, but I went with the traditional Steyr optic in 3X. Like it, but definately need to haul it out to the range and make SURE I like it...

On 2/4/2023 at 7:50 PM, Smith said:

This has been one of my dream guns for the longest time. Closest I ever got were the series of MSAR STG E4's I had over the years. The MSAR's were great, but I had always wanted a Steyr. Since Steyr started importing them again a while back and prices have dropped some, I was able to pick one up. Who needs an SBR or braces when you can have a bullpup!

I did get a little sacrilegious and went with the NATO stock, but that is because I had an abundance of AR mags. Since I was already familiar with the platform I knew what I wanted to add so ... it got the 20/20 Sear, Corvus QD takedown pin, Ratworx TR-1A fore rail, Ratworx Hybrid bolt, and a Corvus brass deflector. I added a Magpul/ADM QD bipod, foregrip, and Strike Cloak FH with a Strike Oppressor (for indoor ranges).

Haven't been able to make it to the range yet and I am still experimenting with optics. I'll either use a Holosun 510C with a flip to the side 5x magnifier or a PA SLx 1-6x24 ACSS. The pics below have a Burris AR223, that I was using as a placeholder. The Bi-pod is for the range. I also have a Wilderness Tactical Giles sling that works great with this gun.

Now all I need is that full size Uzi B and my  80's movie dream gun collection will be made!  

With the SI Oppressor:

I picked up one for a great deal awhile back and liked it so much I got a second. The first one already had the 20/20 installed so Ive bought one for the second and havent gotten around to installing yet. How difficult was it?

8 hours ago, Gurn said:

Partially comedic comment there. When I found mine, I was reading online reports comparing the US MSAR to the original Steyr. At that time many comments were not favorable. But I went ahead anyway and bought a cool rifle. But this was about 12 years ago. I enjoyed it for a while and then thought I wanted something else. So I moved it on. That sound familiar? lol.  

Edited by hipower

As an update, I went with the Burris RT-6 1-6x24. It was far superior to the PA 1-6x24 ACSS. 

The PA was great till I compared it head to head with the Burris. The Burris I can truly use as a 1x. The PA had a lot fish eye distortion and the 1x was noticably off.

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 5:50 PM, Smith said:

With the SI Oppressor:

I happen to like it with the  SI Oppressor.