SBR vs. Bullpup

SBR or Bullpup?!?!  

57 members have voted

1. 1. SBR or Bullpup?!?!

• SBR'd AR
    • Microtech MSAR
    • FN FS2000
    • NEITHER! Real rifles have 20in+ barrels!

Haven't found a bullpup rifle with a halfway decent trigger, compared to an AR... and personally, I wanted to fit an AR with a suppressor without making it ridiculously long, so the choice was simple. Of the three, the cheapest option would be the MSAR... and those are nice rifles.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this thread is back from the dead. I've still purchased neither, but figure I'll go one way or the other in the next 6mo.

So, I hear it's official that Charles Daly will be producing the Tavor for the US market... Anybody know if they've made any new announcements at SHOT?

They're claiming the MSRP will be sub-$1500... but I know another rifle that carried that rumor for several years... Yeah, I'm looking at you ACR.

ETA: Cool pic LA357! That really puts it into perspective!

Haven't found a bullpup rifle with a halfway decent trigger, compared to an AR... and personally, I wanted to fit an AR with a suppressor without making it ridiculously long, so the choice was simple. Of the three, the cheapest option would be the MSAR... and those are nice rifles.

I got mine from Ratworx for $1050. Came with (5) 30 round magazines and side rail ($75..i think). Since I already have AR15's and "the thrill is gone" I figured why not.

Sale ends @ the end of January BTW...

So, I hear it's official that Charles Daly will be producing the Tavor for the US market... Anybody know if they've made any new announcements at SHOT?

They're claiming the MSRP will be sub-$1500... but I know another rifle that carried that rumor for several years... Yeah, I'm looking at you ACR.

From what I have heard, they will debut it at the NRA National Convention in May.

Guest redbarron06

If you are going to be punching paper at th range it really dont matter. SHTF then SBR all the way. More parts availability 10 to 1 or more. Bulpup designs look good on the range and even though they are the standard issue to the regular foot soldiers of countries like austrila the special guys use M4s. The bullpup design all but eliminates that ability ro transition to your support side because the case is being ejected into your face. It would also be very painful to go urban prone with the ejection port so close to your ear.

Try this drill and tell me if you would rather be doing this with a M4 with the ejection port out infront of you or a bullpup with it right next to your ear.

YouTube - Magpul Dynamics: Urban Prone

and if you are reffering to all of the hassle of building a SBR if you already have a AR all you need to do is get the lower engraved and send in the paperwork and the check. The paperwork takes all of 5 minutes to fill out and other than waiting on the ATF the longest wait is from the CLEO. Passport pics take about 15 minutes at any CVS and you can walk into just about any PD or SO and get prints cards done.

Edited by redbarron06
Guest Papabear
The bullpup design all but eliminates that ability ro transition to your support side because the case is being ejected into your face. It would also be very painful to go urban prone with the ejection port so close to your ear.

Try this drill and tell me if you would rather be doing this with a M4 with the ejection port out infront of you or a bullpup with it right next to your ear.

The FS2000 does not have this issue. The spent cartridges eject forward and away from the shooter. So not all bullpups have this issue.

Guest redbarron06
The FS2000 does not have this issue. The spent cartridges eject forward and away from the shooter. So not all bullpups have this issue.

Did not know that. i remimber seeing a rifle on TV that did that but did not know what make/model it was.

There is still the parts issue. How available are spare springs, BCGs, firing pins etc. To add to the versitility of the AR by pulling 2 pins not only can I change the barrel length of my AR but I can also change the caliber. Say from 556 to 762x39 or 458 SOCOM, or 50 Beowulf. Or I guess you could go with a ACR in a SBR setup with a bunch of spare kits for it and actually be able to go from AR mags to AK mags with AK ammo.

For me there is also a familurairty issue. Having shot M16s for more than 20 years now I am very comfy with the system.

There is still the parts issue. How available are spare springs, BCGs, firing pins etc. With the Steyr AUG patent expiring it is just a matter of time until other companies to start producing spare parts. DPMS and Bushmaster didn't start flooding the market with spare parts the day after the AR15 patent expired. To add to the versitility of the AR by pulling 2 pins not only can I change the barrel length of my AR but I can also change the caliber. You do realise that you can change an AUG barrel and bolt with 0 tools? Say from 556 to 762x39 or 458 SOCOM, or 50 Beowulf. Or I guess you could go with a ACR in a SBR setup with a bunch of spare kits for it and actually be able to go from AR mags to AK mags with AK ammo.

For me there is also a familurairty issue. Having shot M16s for more than 20 years now I am very comfy with the system.

AR15 SBR's didn't just happen overnight. The AR15 had about 40 years of evolution and production to get where it is today. Parts have been produced in the billions (existing market). When interest in the AUG platform gains momentum in America spare parts will start showing up. MSAR has spare parts available for its STG 556 right now. Steyr should be coming along with spare parts for its new A3 and for its preban imports.

100_1624.jpg

Give me a call when you join the club. We can be AUG buddies.

Bulpup designs look good on the range and even though they are the standard issue to the regular foot soldiers of countries like austrila the special guys use M4s. Both of AUSTRIA's Special Forces use the Steyr Aug BTW... Yes I realise you stated Australia.

The bullpup design all but eliminates that ability ro transition to your support side because the case is being ejected into your face. So did the pre-deflector AR15's.

It would also be very painful to go urban prone with the ejection port so close to your ear. But in the video "urban prone" is fired from the strong side.

Try this drill and tell me if you would rather be doing this with a M4 with the ejection port out infront of you or a bullpup with it right next to your ear.:screwy:

and if you are reffering to all of the hassle of building a SBR if you already have a AR all you need to do is get the lower engraved and send in the paperwork and the check. The paperwork takes all of 5 minutes to fill out and other than waiting on the ATF the longest wait is from the CLEO. Passport pics take about 15 minutes at any CVS and you can walk into just about any PD or SO and get prints cards done.

They both have advantages and dis advantages over each other. But to say the Bullpup is for range use is very ignorant.