HCP Eligibility Age Updated

• D3vo changed the title to HCP Eligibility Age Updated

Good post @D3vo:

Eligibility Requirements

Qualifications That Must Be Met Before Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit (Enhanced or Concealed)

Must not have a felony conviction and not currently under indictment for a felony
  • Must not have a charge pending for domestic violence and never been convicted of domestic violence
  • Must not be a fugitive from justice
  • Must not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
  • Must not be an illegal alien or unlawfully in the United States
  • Has not renounced their United States citizenship
  • Does not have an Order of Protection or a restraining order filed against them
  • Not an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance or controlled substance analogue
  • Not a patient in a rehabilitation program and have not been hospitalized for alcohol, controlled substance or controlled substance analogue within ten (10) years (if court ordered) or 3 years (if voluntary)
  • Must not have had two (2) convictions for DUI in ten (10) years, with one of those being within the last five (5) years
  • Not currently under the jurisdiction of the court for a DUI or any other Class A misdemeanor conviction
  • Has not been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to/or hospitalized in a mental institution
  • Has not had a court appoint a conservator for me by reason of mental defect
  • Has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of mental illness, development disability or other mental incapacity
  • Has not been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, because of mental illness within seven (7) years from the date of application
  • Has not been convicted of stalking and have no pending charge(s) for stalking
  • Not receiving social security disability benefits by reason of alcohol dependence, drug dependence, or mental disability
  • Applicants are required to be a resident of the state of Tennessee
  • Be at least eighteen (18) years of age

Acceptable Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency Documents

• Official Birth Certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Swain's Island, Guam)
  • IMPORTANT: Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will not be recognized as proof of Lawful U.S. Citizenship beginning November 1, 2010.
  • The government of Puerto Rico has provided information for citizens to apply for new birth certificates.
  • U.S. Government-issued Certified Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S. (FS-240)
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N560 or N561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N550, N570 or N578)
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197, I-179)
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551), issued for ten (10) years.

Where does Tennessee stand today as to permitless carry and age? A google search doesn’t seem to clear this up for me at least.

Close as I can get to an understanding is that it is still technically illegal for an 18 year old to carry a handgun, but will not be prosecuted for doing so. 

Edited by gregintenn

Due to Supreme Court ruling, it is my understanding that the AG issued an opinion that 18 yo would not be prosecuted for carrying a Handgun.  There are several exceptions such as no DUIs, no treatment for drug/alcohol etc.  There are multiple legal concerns regarding the use of firearms and that is one of the reasons I recommend the ECP course for anyone wanting to carry.

• Like 1