A Question About Appearances

Guest Loaded247

Guest Loaded247

The thread concerning being approached by strangers in parking lots got me to wondering....

I've heard Clint Smith (and a few others) say, "If you look like food, you will be eaten." I believe that is a true statement (and I've had the priviledge of training at Thunder Ranch). I would think that someone exhibiting the qualities of being confident and alert (as CCW carriers do) would be LESS apt to be approached, not more so, but it seems as if a lot of our forum members get approached regularly....

At the same time, I don't get approached very much at all, and on the few times I do, a polite, joking statement usually sends them on their way....

It could be body odor or breath, but my wife assures me that is not the case (she may be just being polite..:up:), but I DO take care of hygiene, so I really don't think that's it. Maybe it's because I look like a preacher? Seriously, I've had THREE (3) different preachers tell me that! Ok, so I've spoken in church and had folks shouting, and I've spoken in schools and training classes, but I don't think that's it. I can bench press nearly 350 (ok, 335), but that doesn't necessarily show, especially since I'm only 5'3". PERSONALLY? I think folks leave me alone because I look like I don't have any money....:confused:

With that said, why is it that some people regularly get approached for money, or by potential 'strong arm attempts', whereas some people rarely encounter such....even when they frequent the same places (Walmart, for example)?

If you were in Walmart, and you looked around, and by demeanor, dress, etc., you were trying to pick out other people who were legally armed, what characteristics would you look for?

If you were trying to pick out people who might be of the criminal persuasion, what characters would you look for in them?

I just thought I would throw this out there to see what other people thought....

THANKS!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest triggertime

If I were in Walmart and looking for people who might be armed, I'd look for people wearing the typical shoot-me photog vest, oversized fanny packs, a tucked in t-shirt with an unbuttoned overshirt or square hemmed shirts with interesting print designs....etc.... but those people don't concern me.

I won't comment on what a criminal looks like, because then I'd be accused of profiling. And profiling is wrong....

As for personal appearance, I've found that if you look like someone who might

be up to no good...people will leave you alone, usually. I get a kick out of it when I'm walking through a parking lot and women look at me and shove their purse under their arm like its a football, or when they get in their car and they reach up and lock their door in a state of panic. :confused:

personally I actually about always wear 2 tshirts, one tucked the other untucked, and then a button down shirt over the top. Usually the button down shirt is unbuttoned but it is simple enough to just hook the bottom button or two as need be. The outer tshirt conceals the weapon anyway and the button down shirt just adds some cover. The extra shirt also helps prevent printing too.

And FWIW criminals mostly look like the guy next door.

Guest GT_Rat

Personally I think most criminals target people who don't look like they are alert to their surroundings. I think they look for people who are in a glassy eyed shopping daze, or are distracted by the kids. Basically people who look like they are focused on other things than their surroundings. I think criminals mostly just gamble on the majority of people not being armed. Other than that it's just basic target selection.

Guest c.a.s.

I've never been bothered before. Tohugh, it may be due to how I look. I went to the fair and my mom's friend, who was with us, sayrd I looked scary. Bloused boots, BDU pants, walmart "ARMY" t-shirt (it was thicker and had a higher collar than the rest of my shirts, since it was cooling down), mirror sunglasses and a patrol cap.

Guest triggertime
Where did you see me at?

At the ammo counter in sporting goods...looking for clearance ammo! :confused:

dariks: Not really, as long as the gun and mag carrier(s) are worn behind the hip.

Guest Loaded247

Yes, you would THINK that being alert would make you look like less of a 'target', but a LOT of the folks on this forum (who I assume carry) say that they are continuously fending off 'panhandlers' and other folks with devious intentions. I'm expecting that the average armed citizen is more alert and vigilant than those who are unarmed.

Now, I think if you are walking around looking 'scary', like c.a.s. said, then perhaps that will make them keep their distance, but my guess is that the first thought a criminal or panhandler will have is weather or not you actually look like you have something to give. The criminal may be put off by your confident, alert demeanor, but I don't think that would stop the panhandler...

I can't help it if I look like a hard-ass... :confused: (that's a joke, for anyone who's met me...)

As to the perceptions I get from other people who I come in contact with, and the perception which I strive to project... First of all, the most noticeable thing to me about people I meet is their eyes. Whether they are confident, and look me in the eye, or whether they are shifty and watch people for an open avenue to take advantage of them (or avoid being caught)... and of course there are the majority of people who are oblivious to the nature of the folks around them. Outward appearance is a factor, as well... there are so many facets of style and presentation that it would be lengthy to analyze them all, but there are certain stereotypes which are consistent... for the most part. For myself, I try to be a positive influence on my surroundings, just by being friendly, polite and not over-bearing. I'll always look you in the eyes... and I always strive for good hygiene. People who look or smell bad aren't necessarily bad people... it's simply a sign that they do not care, or are trying to put forth a negative perception of themselves.

Vulnerability to criminals is directly related to one's situational awareness, and what situations one allows themself to be in.

Guest Phantom6

Vulnerability to criminals is directly related to one's situational awareness, and what situations one allows themself to be in.

How true, how true. In most cases you will determine whether or not you will be a victim of crime.

From my personal experience (lessons learned at the college of hard knocks- long neck to the head in one case and a BIG stick to the right arm in another) and reinforced from training that I have undergone, I would submit that the bad guys out there actually go through some specific stages prior to assaulting, robbing, raping or committing whatever brand of poor social behavior they intend to commit. They practice the procedure and are good at it. After all, their freedom and their lives depend on it. Well sure, the stages may differ slightly depending upon the anti-social behavior de jour but they are pretty much recognizable just the same.

The Potential Victim is Cut from the Herd

First you get the look. The BG checks you out to determine a couple of very important things. The first of these is whether or not you have what the BG is wanting. Do you have the cash, car or some other physical or even mental “thing” that he or she desires? Do you fit his profile of a victim? If the answer to his number one question is an affirmative one then he moves on to question number two.

Could you be a threat to him or her? How alert are you to what is going on around you? Are you aware of the BG’s presence? Do you look like you could be armed and injure or kill him while he is attempting to get what you have that he wants?

If the answer to either one of these questions, “Do you have what I want” and is it safe for me to take it from you is “NO” then he or she will leave you alone and look for someone that fits his needs and seems a much safer target for him. As a rule, most BG’s aren’t looking for a fight but rather an “easy mark” that will safely fulfill their needs. They want to get something from the mark and get away unscathed and unrestrained.

I recall reading an article which described an experiment done by some psychology students a while back that I really need to track down so I can provide the source material for my Personal Protection classes. Their experiment and its outcome was really quite fascinating. They took photographs of regular, ordinary folks as they came and went from an urban business area. They then went to a state prison in order to have access to a large number of criminals (who knew?) and showed these photographs to the felons who were brought into a room one at a time and they asked them to not only identify which of the people in the photos they would select as victims, but which people they would bypass and leave alone as well. Prior to the experiment they speculated that they expected to see about a 15% correlation among the “victim” and “non-victim” groups. The BG’s would pick and choose their victims and the ones that they would bypass based solely on the photos they were shown.

At the termination of the experiment they found to their amazement that there was not a 15% correlation between the two groups but rather a 90% correlation. Surprisingly, ninety times out of a hundred, individual felons, with no communication between themselves and the others, picked pretty much the same people to be their victims, and which ones to leave alone. How in the world did this happen? How did these guys pick their victims? Body language. That’s right, body language. The only information available to these felons regarding the folks in these photos was body language. That however was all it took for them to identify their intended victims as well as the people they would not risk confronting.

Surprisingly enough, when questioned about their choices, size, gender or age had really nothing to do with their selections. They victims were folks who appeared to be shuffling along, head down, avoiding eye contact, or otherwise appeared unaware of their surroundings. In contrast, they avoided choosing people, including small females, who appeared alert, confident, walked with their head up, and looked like they knew what was going on around them. Don’t forget, all they want is to get something from their mark and get away unscathed and unrestrained.

Relative Space

Once the BG selects a victim, he must place himself in a position from which an attack on the victim is possible. This is a key piece of information for you: to commit a crime against your person the BG has to be close enough to talk to you. The BG will attempt to maneuver into a striking position either by stealth (they may run ahead of you in order to set up an ambush, or by trickery or subterfuge. The BG may ask you for change, directions, the time or anything which may distract you and hopefully cause you to look away from him or her. Keep your eye on him and simply but firmly say, “No”.

Positioning prior to the assault is vital to him, as he relies almost totally on your surprise for his success. If you avoid attempts that he may make to properly position himself, you shut down or put off the attack.

The Assault

The assault stage can only come after the cutting and the relative space stages are completed. It’s not possible to assault the victim until the first two stages have been completed. The very best defense, therefore, is to circumvent the assault by not allowing the Culling stage and/or the Relative Space or positioning stage(s) to be completed by the BG. Being alert and using your head will generally ensure that you will be safe and less likely to be seen as a victim.

There you have it. The three stages of determining whether or not a BG has a successful day and you have a bad one.

Otherwise harmless pan-handlers will approach you no matter what your body language says. They are either too hungry or jonesing from lack of their favorite drug and they see pan-handling as being similar to the field of sales - it’s simply a numbers game. They operate on the SW principle. Some Will, Some Won’t, So What. Careful though. There may be a BG lurking among those relentless pan-handlers. Remember, distance is your friend. Keep a good arms length distance between yourself and those that approach you and as Nancy Reagan said, “Just say NO” firmly and finally. Remember, your mind, eyes and ears protect your "six" whether you’re in the city …or in the sticks.

Guest db99wj

Good read Phantom6, very well written.

With my situation, I work in a heavy panhandler area of Memphis, midtown. I work in the medical center area, Methodist hospital, The Med, the VA, clinics and a few rehab/half way houses are all very close, I get to see helo's land on the top of one hospital, which is still very cool. I'm very well dressed, suit pants, dress shirt and tie. I am very alert in my area, I've always been like that, but especially now. These panhandlers are crack heads, they are meth heads, they are sick (aids) and they are aggressive. I can watch out my window of my office, these guys working people, and they will work anybody. My conclusion is that drug addicts don't care, they will ask, they are aggressive, they will come up to anybody and ask for money, the crack is more important than anything else.

For the most part, I don't get bothered anymore by the "resident" panhandlers, we do get new ones that pass through from time to time that will approach, but they find out quickly to keep moving.

Well, off to work!

Guest Loaded247

Very well said Phantom! I think the reason most people leave me alone is because in initially looking me over to see what I might have that they would want, most come to the conclusion that I don't have anything...:rolleyes:.

Right now, I'm driving an old 93 Aerostar Minivan that I paid cash for several years ago. I usually wear cheap Brahma Brogans (usually dirty), inexpensive jeans, and inexpensive pullover shirts, all from Walmart, but I've also been known to buy shirts from the thrift store. With the exception of my wedding band, I don't wear any jewelry, not even a watch.

I know the area that db99wj is talking about. I work downtown, and go through midtown everyday. Even found myself out in various parts of North Memphis a time or two. I usually don't have a problem, but if someone asks for money and I tell them I'm broke, I think they take a look at me, and believe it...:).

Good post Phantom. You need to not look like a victim.

This applies to non-violent crime too.

Some years ago I was on a tourist trip in Mexico. They always take you to the bull ring in Mexico City and that area lets in locals who are some of the better pickpockets in the world. Before we went in, I warned the sheep...errr...other tourists about the problem. Then I spent the whole time maneuvering between the pickpockets and the tourists. All it took was a knowing look and body language to indicate I could handle the situation to keep them from approaching me. The tourists won that skirmish.

There is another lesson here. Don't go to places where you are likely to become the victim of crime.

Good post Phantom. You need to not look like a victim.

This applies to non-violent crime too.

There is another lesson here. Don't go to places where you are likely to become the victim of crime.

~SNIPPED FOR BREVITY~

Also a good thing to remember!!! Fools go in where angels fear to tread....

BTW.. AWESOME post phantom6!!!

I've cut/pasted and forwarded this to a few friends of mine as well as family members! thanks!

~SNIPPED FOR BREVITY~

Also a good thing to remember!!! Fools go in where angels fear to tread....

BTW.. AWESOME post phantom6!!!

I've cut/pasted and forwarded this to a few friends of mine as well as family members! thanks!

I thought it was Marines go in where Angels fear to tread?

Guest Phantom6
Good well written advice Phantom, I copied it and sent it to my wife, i just hope she commits it to memory and practice

This is a topic that I place a fair amount of weight on in my Personal Protection Outside the Home classes. It goes hand in hand with levels of awareness and the idea of being aware of what is going on around you within a personal security perimeter of 21 feet for 360 degrees around you. Knowing what to look for and how to carry yourself in less than desirable circumstances whether you be in a questionable place or in a desirable place with one or two less than desirable people in it.

All of us (unless you are agoraphobic) are being scrutinized by ne'er-do-wells pretty much were ever we go on a daily basis. Understanding the stages of the possible attack will help deter the attack or at the very least throw the potential attacker out of sync with their usual modus operandi and therefore allow you an advantage over your assailant.

1 in 32 Americans either are or have been incarcerated. It's not a question of IF we will run up on an individual that contemplates taking what we have but WHEN we run into these individuals and how we will handle the encounter.

• 2 months later...

Never been strong-armed(knock on wood),I always make eye contact and say hello. Don't know if this has any affect other than opening the door to panhandlers.Do your own thing,but stay alert.