How to get started reloading .44 special/mag

So I have an affinity for big bores, but the ammo to do any real amount of target practice is crazy expensive. I really want to be able to roll my own and would like to cast and everything, but Im kinda at a loss where to start. Is the Lee loader hand loader style a viable option for loading approximately 50 rounds a week? What reloading manual should I start with? Any help with a direction to start in would be greatly appreciated

I reload from time to time but it’s not a hobby so I don’t spend a lot of time on it and I’m not what you’d call an expert.

That being said, it’s not hard to do but I would recommend a single stage press and a proper set of carbide dies.  Reloading is tedious enough but those Classic Lee loaders, while absolutely functional I’m sure,  is like doing things 100 years ago or in Afghanistan.

Lee makes good, affordable equipment.

• Like 4

I agree with @Garufa that a single stage press is a good way to start, and it'll serve you well for years to come.

I handload 99% of the ammo I shoot sans RF .22

I started on a Lee single stage back in the mid 1980's and finally wore it out, and replaced it with the same, about 2 years ago.

My Dillon 550 is set up strictly for 9mm (had it since around 1990) and I load all of my .38/.357 and .32 variants (.32 Short, .32 S&W long, and .32 H&R mag) along with occasional .380 acp on the Lee.

I use a Hornady manual primarily, newer addition, but a Hornady manual is what I started with. I have several additional resources available.

I would highly recommend obtaining and reading a quality manual first thing.

Of course you'll need good dies, calipers, powder measure, scales and some method of cleaning your brass.

Components have been the most serious challenge the past few years. They are becoming more readily available, but are expensive at this point and time. Don't really know if they'll come down more. But even at today's cost I can produce quality, accurate ammo for much less than I can purchase it for.

Midsouth Shooter's supply, Powder Valley, Graf's and even Midway USA have been my go-to places for many years.

The component manufacturers are excellent resources as well. I've emailed and received help from Alliant more than once. Good folks there.

I don't currently cast, but have the gear, and plenty of lead. Will get back to it eventually.

These are just some rambling thoughts.

Reloading is an awesome pursuit in and of it's own right imho

There are many folks more knowledgeable than I am on the subject here and hopefully they'll chime in.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013005426

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/handbook

• Like 4

I find myself shooting so I can reload. That’s how much I enjoy the reloading process. As mentioned above, get a good single stage press. Better yet, several manufacturers offer a “kit” with the basic tools you will eventually need.  My recommendation is pursue casting your own projectiles later. After you get the basics of reloading better understood.  I have loaded off and on for 30 years and never cast a bullet on my own. I’d like to try it after I retire. My opinion is it may be a little too much to become proficient with all at once. There are several sources out there for good cast bullets.  

It is good to see someone taking up this fun hobby. Be prepared. It can become an obsession.