Ruger SFAR - Yea or Nay?

22lr

I have been wanting a 'battle' rifle recently and the the SFAR caught my attention pretty quickly due to the size / weight / price. However, I am seeing online that a lot of owners have reliablity and accuracy issues. Being a new rifle though, I am thinking (hoping) those may have been resolved by Ruger? Do any of you have some hands on experience? 聽Thanks!聽

Curious on what others say about this one too. I held one recently and it it seemed like the bcg and maybe the charging handle were either proprietary or AR15 sized. I know AR10s aren't as standard as 15s but it felt different in a few ways.聽

I own a 16" and 20". They have replaced my 14.5" LR308 pistol, and my 18" LR308 battle rifle. Much better platform all around. Less customizable due to proprietary upper and bolt but they all work and are set up optimally to begin with. Other than exotic stuff I do like non-reciprocating side charging uppers, they do everything I want them to do.

Accuracy:

.8/.9 MOA with 168gr GMM. (16" unexpectedly more accurate than 20")
1.2-1.4 MOA with generic 147gr FMJ

Edited by DocHawk
  • Like 3

This guy did a very in-depth, unbiased review series of his SFAR and it gives me major pause on this rifle. And comments in the video show that he is far from alone. Some people have no issues at all, but some people get major lemons and waste a lot of time and $ trying to diagnose. And the most concerning thing is that it sounds like Ruger has no idea what is going on. Hopefully a SFAR2 will come out some day, but until then, I am going to sit on the sidelines.聽

Edited by 22lr

I'm a fan of the SFAR.聽 Too old to need one ta shoot, but a fan none the less.聽 I've handled both the original AR 10 and SFAR as well.聽 The AR10 is too heavy; the SFAR is just right.聽 That's why it's so great.

Regarding the "deficient issues and design / manufacturing issues " thing:

All media; albeit YouTube, written "reviews", or other " evaluations " are, for the most part, " biased聽 windbaggery "; either bashing to get attention or cheerleading.聽 Some " reviewers " are trustworthy, some are working to garner attention.聽 Ruger has world class engineering and manufacturing operations.聽 " Reviewers " have " opinions " and a very small sample size to evaluate.

Anyone with a phone or video camera can post on YouTube,聽 just as anyone that can type can post a review.聽

As a matter of course, I throw out the " outliers ".聽 That said, I do understand that there are " lemons " made on Monday n Friday.聽

I've been handling and buying Ruger products for over 50 years.聽 I've yet to find a " lemon".聽 I understand they are out there; but I'm like the great big round crow in the that great Disney Cartoon Classic, " Dumbo "; who famously quipped : "... I never seen, I only heard ...".聽聽

zip I e de doo dah leroy...

Edited by leroy
9 hours ago, leroy said:

I'm a fan of the SFAR.聽 Too old to need one ta shoot, but a fan none the less.聽 I've handled both the original AR 10 and SFAR as well.聽 The AR10 is too heavy; the SFAR is just right.聽 That's why it's so great.

Regarding the "deficient issues and design / manufacturing issues " thing:

All media; albeit YouTube, written "reviews", or other " evaluations " are, for the most part, " biased聽 windbaggery "; either bashing to get attention or cheerleading.聽 Some " reviewers " are trustworthy, some are working to garner attention.聽 Ruger has world class engineering and manufacturing operations.聽 " Reviewers " have " opinions " and a very small sample size to evaluate.

Anyone with a phone or video camera can post on YouTube,聽 just as anyone that can type can post a review.聽

As a matter of course, I throw out the " outliers ".聽 That said, I do understand that there are " lemons " made on Monday n Friday.聽

I've been handling and buying Ruger products for over 50 years.聽 I've yet to find a " lemon".聽 I understand they are out there; but I'm like the great big round crow in the that great Disney Cartoon Classic, " Dumbo "; who famously quipped : "... I never seen, I only heard ...".聽聽

zip I e de doo dah leroy...

Best be cautious quoting those old classic Disney movies that we all grew up with. ..... Some liberal will accuse you of being a racist...............馃槈

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Choatecav said:

Best be cautious quoting those old classic Disney movies that we all grew up with. ..... Some liberal will accuse you of being a racist...............馃槈

HEHEHE... It's great ain't it ..?

leroy... " The Uncle Remus of Copper Ridge "...

• Haha 1

I remember hearing stuff about the early batches (and saw some review videos that at times had some strange issues; don't recall any followups after though). Overall I'm in agreement with leroy. SFAR feels great in the hand and Ruger has a good track record of customer service. The SFAR's on my very short list of "battle rifles" I'm interested in.