favorite game marinade?

Guest Mugster

Guest Mugster

Post up your favorite marinade for venison. I've got plenty and grillin season is open.

Anybody used something named wickers marinade on venison before? Found this stuff in krogers and gambled a few bucks on it. I just wanted something other than dale's steak seasoning and/or beer.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorites.

1 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup oil

2 tablespoons parsley

2 tablespoons oregano

1/2 teaspoon onion flakes

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons dried mint flakes

1/3 cup brown sugar

1. Mix above ingredients together.

2. Pour over venison.

3. Marinate overnight.

4. Grill, Broil or Fry

Guest Jcochran88
You are going to laugh and I haven't tried it on venison, but I don't think I have found anything that doesn't taste better when marinaded for a few hours in zesty italian dressing.

Works great! This has quickly become my favorite marinade.

Dale's seasoning sauce. Kinda of like soy and Worcestershire. Works great on those "tougher" sections of venison like roasts.

I have had the zesty Italian as well over at little bro's and its great too.

Guess we have the two favorites right up at the top of the list tonight.

Now I'm hungry and it's freaking 2330.

Guest Mugster

Well, I got some soaking in this wickers stuff for a test. Have to see how it eats tomorrow. I've done the italian dressing thing. Have to try it again.

Hey tripledigit, that looks like a real recipe, but my rule of thumb is no more than 5 things. Like venison, dales, corn, butter, and salt is 5. Thats more individual ingredients than I have in my whole kitchen.

One of my favorites.

1 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup oil

2 tablespoons parsley

2 tablespoons oregano

1/2 teaspoon onion flakes

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons dried mint flakes

1/3 cup brown sugar

1. Mix above ingredients together.

2. Pour over venison.

3. Marinate overnight.

4. Grill, Broil or Fry

That does sound good. I do like dales also.

I've used the Zesty Itallian to marinade before and it's good.

Sometimes I'll soak the tougher areas in buttermilk overnight to tenderize. Rinse off the buttermilk, allow to reach room temp, dip in buttermilk - egg wash, then roll in flower or cornmeal with your choice of seasoning. Let set for a couple minutes to let the batter adhere to the meat and then fry.

My favorite maridnade is Allegro. I get it by the gallon at Sam's or by the bottle at the grocery store. It works good on everything that I've tried it on. I even use it as a jerky marinade.

Guest Mugster

Well, I tried the wickers in a 24 and 48 hour marinade of backstraps. I got to say, it wasn't that great. It didn't sink in nor did it really spice anything up, nor did it remove much of the gamey taste. Bullseye BBQ sauce saved the day.

I got a 50/50 wickers/dales going on a steak, with a shot of rum thrown in for good measure. See how that goes tomorrow.

I'll put allegro on my list.

Guest Mugster

The definitive grilling guide to venison (for cooking idiots like me that like to eat):

Step 1: Get as much game taste out as you want to.

This is a function of blood and fat removal from your meat, and nothing else. I've tried a bunch of BS I've read online and old country tales from old country women....plain water works as good as anything. You soak it submerged in water in the refrigerator in a big bowl and change the water. When the meat looks white in the water (no blood) about 24 hours, there's no game left to it. You got to change the water about 5-6 times to make this happen. Cut all the fat, or tallow the old folks call it, off before or after the soak, makes no difference I can tell.

I personally like a little wild in it. But if you have a finiky eater on your hands, don't hesitate. Turn it white as a ghost and they'll love it. Alot.

Step 2: Flavor it

Venison won't soak up stuff like beef or pork. Best bet here is to hit it about an hour pre-grill with something strong like dales or a vinegar based solution like wickers. Let it warm up in the solution. You don't have to do this step. Plain vs dales soaked in my taste tests...it was a close call. Especially if you add butter and salt in step 3.

Step 3: Grill it

Medium rare is the only way to fly. About 6-7 minutes on a real hot grill for a 1/2" steak. This is where your Italian dressing or butter comes in. You want to coat each side with it early to give it a little fat and help seal in the flavor. Flip often. I hit mine with a melted butter/salt mixture and it really makes it good. Don't skimp out here, get the package that says USDA butter, grade A. The Italian dressing thing does good here too. Anything with some fat content. Gives it a diffferent flavor, but, if your a serious steak eater...go with the butter and salt.

Step 4: Enjoy with a beer.

Here is one that I have been using for a while. It technically is a duck marinade but I use it on venison, specifically venison medallions.

2 cups dry red wine

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 medium onion, diced

6 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon cracked black pepper

Combine all the ingredients and marinade for a couple of hours to overnight.

Yummy!!

Here's a good recipe, it's for turkey but it'll work with any poultry or pork.

I did this for Christmas, and Easter, it is very good. I brined the turkey overnight, I probably wouldn't brine a chicken or a game bird for more than 4 to 6 hours or so. Pork ribs & loins the same. Shoulders or hams overnight.

Pork chops 2 to 3 depending on the cut 1-2"

I don't know how it will do with red meat yet. I'd probably use beef stock instead of vegetable stock.

You can experiment, just keep the basic brine (salt, sugar, stock). add a cup or so of vinegar, wine, beer, or likker. Spice and herbage of choice.

Let me know how it goes if ya try it.

Good Eats Roast Turkey

Prep Time: 15 min Inactive Prep Time: 7 hr 0 min Cook Time: 2 hr 30 min

1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey

For the brine:

1 cup kosher salt

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1 gallon vegetable stock

1 tablespoon black peppercorns

1/2 tablespoon allspice berries

1/2 tablespoon candied ginger

1 gallon iced water

For the aromatics:

1 red apple, sliced

1/2 onion, sliced

1 cinnamon stick

1 cup water

4 sprigs rosemary

6 leaves sage

Canola oil

Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stockpot, and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5-gallon bucket. Place thawed turkey breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement) for 6 hours. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.

A few minutes before roasting, heat oven to 500 degrees. Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.

Remove bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard brine.

Place bird on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels. Add steeped aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage. Tuck back wings and coat whole bird liberally with canola (or other neutral) oil.

Roast on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and return to oven, reducing temperature to 350 degrees F. Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let turkey rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving.

Serves: 10 to 12 servings

• 2 weeks later...

Mugster is spot on about the game taste. Leaving blood in your venison will taint the taste. I butcher my own deer and after skinning I place the quarters in a cooler of ice. I keep the meat in the cooler for up to a week. I drain the bloody water off 3 times a day and add ice as required to keep the meat covered. This has always yielded good tasting meat for me. I used this same method in Florida on wild pigs for years and even the old nasty boars came out good.

Here is my favorite venison recipe:

For backstrap on the grill, this is the best venison I have put in my mouth.

Sweet Bacon-Wrapped Venison Tenderloin Recipe : Recipezaar

Ingredients

2 lbs venison tenderloins (a single deer loin or Moose or Elk or Pork or Beef)

1/2 lb bacon

3 cups brown sugar

2 cups soy sauce

1/4 cup white sugar (Optional for added Sweetness)

Directions

Mix brown Sugar and Soy sauce together in a bowl. They should combine nicely into a soupy soy liquid.

Put Deer Loin in a cooking tray and pour Brown Sugar/Soy Sauce mixture over loin. Roll tenderloin over in mixture, completely covering it.

Let meat marinate in mixture at least 3 hours or overnight in fridge. It's best to marinate for 8 hours if you have the time. Also GREAT to use a Food Saver or other Vacuum device to Vacuum pack/seal the meat with Marinade. With this method, you can achieve Overnight-level marinade in just a couple hours!

Remove loin from tray, and place on a slotted bake sheet with a drip pan or aluminum foil below to catch dripping. Don't throw away marinade.

Wrap a piece of bacon around the very end of the tenderloin, securing the bacon strip with a toothpick.

Repeat this process until the entire loin is wrapped in ten or so bacon "loops." The tenderloin should look like an arm with a bunch of wrist watches on it, the watches being the bacon strips.

Drizzle remaining marinade over deer loin. You can continue to baste the loin with the marinade throughout the cooking process with either a brush or a turkey baster.

Place on center rack in oven and bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes. OR GRILL! Just watch the flare ups!

OPTIONAL - with about 10 minutes of cooking time left, you can lightly dust the top of the loin with white sugar. This creates a sweet crust on top of the bacon. Might be too sweet for some. Try doing it on just HALF of the loin to see if you like it!

1Remove from oven and place on cutting board. Using a knife, cut the loin between each strip of bacon so that you have many pieces of meat, each with their own toothpick.

You can eat these pieces directly from the toothpick or remove the toothpick and eat like steak. You can thank me later.

Guest Mugster
Mugster is spot on about the game taste. Leaving blood in your venison will taint the taste. I butcher my own deer and after skinning I place the quarters in a cooler of ice. I keep the meat in the cooler for up to a week. I drain the bloody water off 3 times a day and add ice as required to keep the meat covered. This has always yielded good tasting meat for me. I used this same method in Florida on wild pigs for years and even the old nasty boars came out good.

Here is my favorite venison recipe:

For backstrap on the grill, this is the best venison I have put in my mouth.

Sweet Bacon-Wrapped Venison Tenderloin Recipe : Recipezaar

Ingredients

2 lbs venison tenderloins (a single deer loin or Moose or Elk or Pork or Beef)

1/2 lb bacon

3 cups brown sugar

2 cups soy sauce

1/4 cup white sugar (Optional for added Sweetness)

Directions

Mix brown Sugar and Soy sauce together in a bowl. They should combine nicely into a soupy soy liquid.

Put Deer Loin in a cooking tray and pour Brown Sugar/Soy Sauce mixture over loin. Roll tenderloin over in mixture, completely covering it.

Let meat marinate in mixture at least 3 hours or overnight in fridge. It's best to marinate for 8 hours if you have the time. Also GREAT to use a Food Saver or other Vacuum device to Vacuum pack/seal the meat with Marinade. With this method, you can achieve Overnight-level marinade in just a couple hours!

Remove loin from tray, and place on a slotted bake sheet with a drip pan or aluminum foil below to catch dripping. Don't throw away marinade.

Wrap a piece of bacon around the very end of the tenderloin, securing the bacon strip with a toothpick.

Repeat this process until the entire loin is wrapped in ten or so bacon "loops." The tenderloin should look like an arm with a bunch of wrist watches on it, the watches being the bacon strips.

Drizzle remaining marinade over deer loin. You can continue to baste the loin with the marinade throughout the cooking process with either a brush or a turkey baster.

Place on center rack in oven and bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes. OR GRILL! Just watch the flare ups!

OPTIONAL - with about 10 minutes of cooking time left, you can lightly dust the top of the loin with white sugar. This creates a sweet crust on top of the bacon. Might be too sweet for some. Try doing it on just HALF of the loin to see if you like it!

1Remove from oven and place on cutting board. Using a knife, cut the loin between each strip of bacon so that you have many pieces of meat, each with their own toothpick.

You can eat these pieces directly from the toothpick or remove the toothpick and eat like steak. You can thank me later.

:)

I forgot to add that I do the same above recipe but I do it in bite size chunks. I slice the tenderloin and soak it in the soy and sugar. Then I roll it and put 1/2 a piece of bacon on it and put several of these on a metal skewer. They make great appetizers. Be careful not to over cook.