Any Milsurp Gunsmith's in Middle TN ?

I'm mainly a collector of 20th century battle rifles:   i.e. bolt stuff from Mausers, 03A3, Lee Enfields, Mosins to semi autos,  Garands, M1Carbines, AKMs , ComBloc AKM pattern DMRs, PTR91, FALs, ARs, etc.  Is there anyone in town that is relatively knowledgeable across this segment of firearms?   I have figured out and/or learned quite a bit over the years via YouTube and the forums.  But the typical forums we all frequent seem to be dying off.  They were very a-buzz with chatter and expertise 10+ years ago but I’ve noticed post traffic is way down the last couple/few years.  Good lord the CMP forum is virtually dead and seems broken sicne they just gave it a facelift.   Folds talk about Reddit but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to research, read, and post there in any categories or subforums that make any sense to me.  

Occasionally need a higher level of support/work.  Is there anyone in town that guys work with?  I’ve been to the guy at Guns n Leather, Sam Hoster, the fellow up in Chapmansboro, TN.  No one really seems well versed in all of what I’m into.  And that’s fine if someone’s into some things and not others.  I’m just looking for local, drive-range alternatives to shipping my stuff out across the country to “known” experts and waiting 5-10 months.

Gunsmiths in general are hard to find around here these days, and when you do find them, they're super busy. I'm not sure what all the guys at Echo 3 Armory in Chapel Hill can do, but my uncle has been happy with them, fair warning, like I said when you do find one, they're booked, Echo 1 has been working on a project for one of my cooks for a while now.

Edited by scatman

I use to know a guy (Ronnie Morris) in Madison that was able to do work that I wasn't comforatteble doing myself. I have not been in contact with him in recent years... so I am not sure if he still does work.  I'm mainly into M1 Grands and M1 Carbines so I have not had to seek out a smith for the others in your list. 

What do you need done?  Barrel swaps? Headspace checking? Stock refinishing?

I'm a member of the TN Military Collectors Association.  You may want to attending the 2024 Spring show in Cool Springs, there are people there that may have a connection to reccommend.

No stock refinishing but perhaps barrel swaps, things like investigate why my Enfield won’t extract, figure out why it shoots, 6-8” groups at 100yds, why my 54r Vepr which also shoots horrible groups no matter the ammo, possible trigger clean up improvements on various mag/actions, etc., I’d love ot find someone that could swap the barrel on a spent PU Sniper I re-snipered in error many years ago.

Scatman, You mean  Echo Three Armory in Chapel Hill, TN?  Never heard of em.  Will investigate
https://echo3armoryllc.com/

Mike W,  Yes I searched/found Ronnie Morris via some forums (including this one).  I guess he’s known for hot-shot, tunes of M14/M1As.  Not far from me. I’ll see if he’s still at it.

Match Service Works
Ronnie Morris
422 Maple St.
Madison, TN  37115
(615) 868-4567
ronm@bellsouth.net

Someone thought there was a guy at Royal Range west of town that was pretty good.  They have all kinds of classic milsurps you can rent to shoot as well as old and modern full autos so I gotta imagine they have or would have a line on a guy that’s right up my alley.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Texas said:

I've referred Bret at  https://neverenoughguns.com/ a couple times.  

Depending on where you are in Nashville he could be ~1 hour.

I had him do a couple things and I am really happy.

Interesting.  Looks like my kinda guy.  Where is he located.  Website doesn't say.