critters and crawlspace question

1 hour ago, NoBanStan said:

Ouch. Are we talking Hughes? I know some folks who switched to cellular Internet and got better speeds.

yep, speed isn't bad normally, but i have to use VPN for work and it kills the speed. Have to call them tomorrow. hit my data cap today and I'm running dial up speeds now LOL. 

Good news; fiber will be here shortly
Bad news; I'll still have to pay HughesNet

2 hours ago, papa61 said:

yep, speed isn't bad normally, but i have to use VPN for work and it kills the speed. Have to call them tomorrow. hit my data cap today and I'm running dial up speeds now LOL. 

Good news; fiber will be here shortly
Bad news; I'll still have to pay HughesNet

Ask your work if they use split tunnel DNS. That means that traffic destined for the internet routes through your internet pipe and only the work stuff goes through the VPN. That's how most places do it.

The fiber will make all things better. That upgrade will be the difference between a musket and a M249.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Ask your work if they use split tunnel DNS. That means that traffic destined for the internet routes through your internet pipe and only the work stuff goes through the VPN. That's how most places do it.

The fiber will make all things better. That upgrade will be the difference between a musket and a M249.

I can confidently say everything goes through VPN. I can find the website, log in and get the data on my personal computer while my work computer is still spinning. That's for the outside websites that do not have to run through VPN. 

4 hours ago, papa61 said:

I can confidently say everything goes through VPN. I can find the website, log in and get the data on my personal computer while my work computer is still spinning. That's for the outside websites that do not have to run through VPN. 

it may not even just be the VPN. Corporate systems tend to be loaded up with all kinds of agents and security tooling that may be causing it to bog down. But yea, I would ask about about split tunnel for your VPN client since you have satellite.

Edited by NoBanStan
54 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

it may not even just be the VPN. Corporate systems tend to be loaded up with all kinds of agents and security tooling that may be causing it to bog down. But yea, I would ask about about split tunnel for your VPN client since you have satellite.

I'm hping they have the cable out here in the next two months. We haven't streamed a movie since we've been here LOL. I considered using a cell hot spot, glad I didn't because we have no cell service either. Fiber network will take care of both. It was quite a shock going from AT&T to HughesNet. But we will survive. 

Just now, papa61 said:

I'm hping they have the cable out here in the next two months. We haven't streamed a movie since we've been here LOL. I considered using a cell hot spot, glad I didn't because we have no cell service either. Fiber network will take care of both. It was quite a shock going from AT&T to HughesNet. But we will survive. 

I used to work at a company that had Hughes in all of their locations. Dealing with them was abysmal. I feel for you. Hope you get that fiber quickly.

1 minute ago, NoBanStan said:

I used to work at a company that had Hughes in all of their locations. Dealing with them was abysmal. I feel for you. Hope you get that fiber quickly.

They have emailed me to sign up already. I missed the deadline for lower rates but the markings are on the road across from the house. I looked at all options and they seemed to be they best choice. If they are I feel bad for those who have other sat network. They have the cable buried within a mile or so of my place so it won't be much longer. Oddly, the only build back better program I can say I approve of, akin to the rural electrification act.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, papa61 said:

They have emailed me to sign up already. I missed the deadline for lower rates but the markings are on the road across from the house. I looked at all options and they seemed to be they best choice. If they are I feel bad for those who have other sat network. They have the cable buried within a mile or so of my place so it won't be much longer. Oddly, the only build back better program I can say I approve of, akin to the rural electrification act.

even at higher rates it's still better....

24 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

even at higher rates it's still better....

even at higher rates it's half of Hughes. I'll have to pay out my contract but it'll be worth it.

I do hope you got your repairs made before this cold snap hits. I should have redone the insulation around my back door. Oddly the air return is right across the laundry room from the back door. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 7:33 PM, monkeylizard said:

The duct opening is normal, maybe a bit larger than needed, but all foundation openings are bigger than the trunk lines going through them. You should NOT be seeing daylight through there. It should fit snug against both the wall and the HVAC and should be sealed with silicone. Check that the sides go down into the dirt so there's no way for critters to get in unless they tunnel under the metal shroud. If not, pack some soil up against the bottom and put some gravel over it to help minimize erosion.

For the plumbing holes, take a piece of cardboard down there and cut a template for each side. Then transfer the pattern to a piece of plywood. A couple of screws up into the OSB above and a short 1x1 screwed into the joist to support the "inside" edge will do it. Run a bead of silicone or caulk around the edges and call it a day. Easy to remove if you or a plumber ever need access to those fittings in the future. Put some silicone around those copper pipes going through the OSB too.

Finally got to do this today. Used the expanding foam to seal up the gaps instead which was a mistake. That stuff is messy. Regardless, I very much appreciate the advice. Same goes for everyone else in the thread who pitched in. I greatly appreciate it.

Turns out it was a skunk. I guess it was so concentrated that i couldn't tell. caught his stinky a** on camera though. I noticed some scratch marks in the dirt at the front of the AC and a bunch of excess wire had been pulled out and chewed on. I think the A-hole bit that wire till it bit him back and he sprayed my unit. Then the house of cards pulled it inside for me to enjoy.

• Haha 2