Marlin 1895S 45-70 Guide Gun

Good morning! Finally got my sight hood and original front sight block off plate put on and wanted to post some pictures. Manufacture date is year ~2000, the barrel was shortened before I got it. I added the Williams peep sight from a .35 Remington Marlin I had at the time, as well as the Galco bullet holder. Might be my favorite rifle!

This got me into reloading as you can save about as much as dies cost at around 20 rounds if I recall. I've loaded some 500-grain T-Rex killers and it is quite the kick!

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

Edited by williamv
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

So is it now a 16", 18.5" barrel ?

It is a 16" barrel so I assume it was cut down as I don't think Marlin made these in 16" barrels. If you are a Marlin expert, please educate me! I bought it about 15 years ago off a gentleman who was selling a number of lever guns via a newspaper classified ad (I'm 37 but now that sounds kind of old school, right? Sort of miss it though). Stay warm everyone!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, williamv said:

It is a 16" barrel so I assume it was cut down as I don't think Marlin made these in 16" barrels. If you are a Marlin expert, please educate me! I bought it about 15 years ago off a gentleman who was selling a number of lever guns via a newspaper classified ad (I'm 37 but now that sounds kind of old school, right? Sort of miss it though). Stay warm everyone!

I also have a 1895 that has been cut to 16”. It is my favorite lever gun.   Only difference is I have a 2x scout scope mounted on it.  A 16” barrel makes a great size to carry in the woods. 

DSCF0042.jpg

• Like 2
19 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I also have a 1895 that has been cut to 16”. It is my favorite lever gun.   Only difference is I have a 2x scout scope mounted on it.  A 16” barrel makes a great size to carry in the woods. 

DSCF0042.jpg

I saw that when someone else posted it a while back. That is a great looking gun!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, williamv said:

They actually made several factory models but they are rare these days .