does your carry permit have to be on you at all times

Guest devonjevon

Guest devonjevon

Do you have to carry your carry permit at all times you carry your weapon?

Cant the police just run your number and get it if he dont believe you?

wont they run it anyway?

Now why am I really asking these questions.

Well the phone call worked an i will be issued a permit in 7-10 days.

So if i get pulled over right now will the police know i have a concealled permit if they run my number. And If so why cant i carry right now and tell them i have a permit and run my number if they dont believe me?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

You have to be able to produce it on demand/request of the officer.

If you get caught driving without a license on you..what happens?

Guest nraforlife
Yes, if you are carrying, your HCP must be on your person.

Why I have 4. They are only $5 for a duplicate. One in wallet, one in glove box of my car, one in glove box of wife's car and one that I drop in the pants pocket when I don't carry my wallet.

Guest crotalus01

Well, I have been stopped without my DL, I know the number by heart, gave them the number and it was no problem (cool cop, stolen wallet I hadnt had time to get a replacement license).

I would not carry without my HCP, I think the cops wouldnt just see that as "no big deal" regardless of the circumstances or how cool the cop would be under normal circumstances.

(n) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer.

It is what it is.

Why I have 4. They are only $5 for a duplicate. One in wallet, one in glove box of my car, one in glove box of wife's car and one that I drop in the pants pocket when I don't carry my wallet.

Can you order a duplicate at any time, or must it be ordered when you are getting one issued the first time or during the renewal process?

Really,

Do I have to fill out forms at DMV or how does this work?

I would like one for every vehicle and boat.

I made a photo copy of my DL and HCP and hid it in my truck in case I ever lost my wallet. I'm sure that's not offically legal but maybe a LEO would cut me some slack. Also I know the reciept of a renewal on your HCP can be used while waiting for your card.

Probably better to get a duplicate.

Guest LieutenantDan67

From that page:

To Receive a Duplicate Handgun Carry Permit

• You will need to complete an application. To receive an application by mail call (615) 251-8590.
  • Complete and sign your application. Mail the application, CERTIFIED PROOF of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency (no photocopies; documents will NOT be returned) and the $5.00 fee payable by check or money order to the following address:
  • Tennessee Department of Safety
    Handgun Permit Office
    1150 Foster Ave.
    Nashville, TN 37243-1000

Do you seriously need to mail in a certified copy of your birth certificate, etc just for a duplicate? And you WON'T get it back? :D

Guest bkelm18
Do you seriously need to mail in a certified copy of your birth certificate, etc just for a duplicate? And you WON'T get it back? :D

If its not already on file, then yes. Or you can just go to your local place and they will just scan your birth certificate and hand it back to you.

If its not already on file, then yes. Or you can just go to your local place and they will just scan your birth certificate and hand it back to you.

Correct.

If you have applied for a HCP or renewed since 2005 it should be on file.

I have heard of some sending in their birth certificate and getting it back, but not sure I'd want to bank on that.

Guest bhoneycutt

What everyone else said not to mention 7 -14 days could have been something to just make you happy and get you off their backs. I have read in the past people calling after the 14 days and them tell them another 7 -14 days. Basically I wouldn't trust it being issued until I was holding it in my hand.

Guest TargetShooter84

So I can go to my local DMV and just hand them my birth certificate and they'll scan it and print me up duplicates on the spot after paying the fee, right?

So I can go to my local DMV and just hand them my birth certificate and they'll scan it and print me up duplicates on the spot after paying the fee, right?

Nope.

Wait to be printed and sent from Nashville.

How long?

Who knows.

- OS

Guest TargetShooter84
Nope.

Wait to be printed and sent from Nashville.

How long?

Who knows.

- OS

Thought they wouldn't have a problem with it since I already have an HCP and am on file....

Thought they wouldn't have a problem with it since I already have an HCP and am on file....

No problem at all...I'm sure you'll get duplicate within 90 days.

Or not, if it's as slow as a renewal, which often takes OVER 3 months. :D

(I don't really know how long it will take, but I'd expect the worst).

- OS

I don't think they are able to (computer system won't let them) at the local office, even if they wanted to.

Other than duplicates, which aren't that many I'd guess, they'd not even have a need to print them locally since new and renewal appilcations have to go to the HCP office in Nashville.