Shield Arms G-43x Magazines

Recently picked up a new Glock 43X, that has been customized by Shark Coast Tactical. I love the looks of it.  One of the guys at my local Gunshop where I bought it showed me a S-15 magazine he got for his G-43X that is made for the G43x, but has a 15 round capacity. The Shiel arms mags are made of steel which is how they are able to do 15 instead of 10 rounds like the polymer Glock mags,though, you have to replace the stock  mag release with a metal one. They offer a kit or bundle that includes 3 mags and the metal mag release. I’m think hard about ordering it.  Anyone have any experience with this?

You may think about this,buddies with G43X/48    Have ditched them and gone with  PSA Mini Dagger Mags,they are all metal with a poly strip on them so you can use them without replacing mag release. Function test have shown like Shield function test are at a hundred percent.  Last I checked PSA mags were about $10 cheaper.  

• Like 2

Current gen's get good reviews. Their are some that have an extreme bias against Shield for the threatened lawsuit against Palmetto. PSA's mags get the same reviews if you search through both objectively.

That being said, the PSA run a little cheaper and you don't have to change the mag release. I have some Shield mags and no issues. Just a preference thing to me.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

i won a shield arms s15 "combo mag pack" (3 mags and a steel mag catch) in an auction from a local pawn shop for a pretty fair price.  when i went to pick it up they were second gen mags and i was a little deflated.  however after running several hundred rounds through my G43x i've been very happy with them and i am now carrying that instead of my springfield hellcat (which was my carry gun the last couple of years)

Edited by wmailhos
  • Like 2

My shield arms combo kit shipped this morning before I asked for a cancellation.  They said I could return it, so I might do that.    I would just keep it, but the PSA mags don’t require a modification to the gun, and so I could still use the 10 round mags if I needed to.  If I convert the gun, they say the metal mag release will tear up polymer mags so could use the current mags I have.  Like JeffL posted, I also have a 365 macro with a 17nround capacity, but this one would end up being an occasional carry.  I guess I will think on what to do, and decide after the kit gets here, LOL.  That’s what I get for being too eager with no patience.

Glock Rep told me the metal mag release will tear up a Glock mag in very few rounds. Changing out a release takes only seconds and requires a pick,needle nose pliers and safety glasses for the tiny spring.

• Like 1

I’m still looking at reviews of both, but so far my inclination is to send back the Shield arms kit and get the psa.  I should have done more research in the first place, but I had no idea the psa mags even existed.  Live and learn.  Hopefully I’ll only be out the shipping.

11 hours ago, Will said:

Glock Rep told me the metal mag release will tear up a Glock mag in very few rounds. Changing out a release takes only seconds and requires a pick,needle nose pliers and safety glasses for the tiny spring.

Haha, a Glock rep would say that. Glock Perfection! They will wear out but rounds down the pipe won't do it. It's the inserting and releasing of the mag that causes the wear. Metal on plastic.

• Like 1

Yes that is what happens when you use Glock mag with alloy mag release.  If your going to use Glock mags put the Glock plastic release back in the gun and avoid wrecking your Glock mags.

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about the shield/psa mags but I know every time I go to use it the Glock mags will work. I understand the more rounds the better but if there’s a chance of mag failure I’m good with stock mags. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bighead731 said:

I’ve been thinking about the shield/psa mags but I know every time I go to use it the Glock mags will work. I understand the more rounds the better but if there’s a chance of mag failure I’m good with stock mags. 

my 43x sat in my safe for a long time while i carried my hellcat.  i won my shield mags in an auction (nobody else bid) and thought i'd give them a try since i had them.  i have put quite a few rounds through all my gen 2 mags and they have worked almost flawlessly.  i have had one fte but that was it and that was with cheap monarch steel case laquer coated ammo.  they are good enough for me to trust to carry.  i'm a pretty big fan of the shield mags.  so much so that i ordered a few of the z9 mags for my g43...  😉

i am getting more open to aftermarket stuff these days and i used to keep everything stock.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, wmailhos said:

my 43x sat in my safe for a long time while i carried my hellcat.  i won my shield mags in an auction (nobody else bid) and thought i'd give them a try since i had them.  i have put quite a few rounds through all my gen 2 mags and they have worked almost flawlessly.  i have had one fte but that was it and that was with cheap monarch steel case laquer coated ammo.  they are good enough for me to trust to carry.  i'm a pretty big fan of the shield mags.  so much so that i ordered a few of the z9 mags for my g43...  😉

i am getting more open to aftermarket stuff these days and i used to keep everything stock.

Did you change out thermal release on your 43x for the shield mags?

28 minutes ago, Defender said:

Did you change out thermal release on your 43x for the shield mags?

if by "thermal release" you mean mag release then yes i did.  i actually had a little difficulty swapping it out but think i could do it pretty quickly the next time...  the "combo packs" from shield usually come with the metal mag release.  i'm fine with the metal mag release and not being able to use the factory glock mags.  i know that's an issue for some folks.

39 minutes ago, wmailhos said:

if by "thermal release" you mean mag release then yes i did.  i actually had a little difficulty swapping it out but think i could do it pretty quickly the next time...  the "combo packs" from shield usually come with the metal mag release.  i'm fine with the metal mag release and not being able to use the factory glock mags.  i know that's an issue for some folks.

Thermal, LOL, auto-correct gets me every time.  I need to pay attention before I hit send.  Yes, modifying the weapon for these mags instantly takes two Glock  mags out of the equation, so im not sure i want  to do that. I am liking the idea of the psa mags instead, but am still a little concerned about reliability.

40 minutes ago, Defender said:

Thermal, LOL, auto-correct gets me every time.  I need to pay attention before I hit send.  Yes, modifying the weapon for these mags instantly takes two Glock  mags out of the equation, so im not sure i want  to do that. I am liking the idea of the psa mags instead, but am still a little concerned about reliability.

I understand the hesitation but I haven't used the factory magazines since I got the Shield mags 3 years ago.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Well, after a lot of thinking on it after reading y’all’s recommendations and the. Watching a slew of YouTube videos, and speaking with the folks at Shield Arms, I decided to send them back and go with the PSA mags.  From most accounts, they both work, but I’m thinking if I don’t have to modify my gun, I won’t.  Shield arms is going to waive the restocking fee and refund my money, so hopefully I’ll only be out shipping.  By the way, I don’t remember posting a pic of my gun so I’m doing that now.  It’s a 43X customized by Shark Coast Tactical.  It’s a dark green with a dark green battle worn finish on the slide.

IMG_0495.jpeg

Edited by Defender
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

Ran the Shield mags  Gen II when I had a G48   no problems.  GenI had some problems  (orange follower)  GenII  (gray follower.  At time wanted PSA but they sold out and were several months out of stock.  I called Magpul to see if they would be making any and they said no.  

• Like 1