I have an idea….

The state of Illinois does not have a motorcycle helmet law. Now how you feel about wearing a helmet is not the point here, the point is WHY Illinois does not have a helmet law.

One day a year (in May) motorcycles riders gather in groups all across the state. They meet in one place on the outskirts of Springfield Illinois and the ride in an orderly procession into the Capitol. The citizens of Springfield line the route. Officers from Springfield PD, the Sheriff’s Office and Illinois State Police block the intersections so the procession doesn’t have to stop at lights.

They park all around the capitol and hang out on the lawn. When legislators look out their windows they see a sea of votes. Some of them even participate in the ride.

And that is why Illinois does not have a Hemet law. patriot.gif

What if once a year 165,000 carry permit holders and their supporters had a little get together at the capitol here?

leaving.gif

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid
The state of Illinois does not have a motorcycle helmet law. Now how you feel about wearing a helmet is not the point here, the point is WHY Illinois does not have a helmet law.

One day a year (in May) motorcycles riders gather in groups all across the state. They meet in one place on the outskirts of Springfield Illinois and the ride in an orderly procession into the Capitol. The citizens of Springfield line the route. Officers from Springfield PD, the Sheriff’s Office and Illinois State Police block the intersections so the procession doesn’t have to stop at lights.

They park all around the capitol and hang out on the lawn. When legislators look out their windows they see a sea of votes. Some of them even participate in the ride.

What if once a year 165,000 carry permit holders and their supporters had a little get together at the capitol here?

leaving.gif

There was actually a mention of an Open Carry / Carry day a few months back... never really took off, though several professed interest.

Probably if it was "marketed" as a pro 2nd amendment rally or somesuch, we'd have more attendance. Many permit holders want to fly under the radar, and may not attend if EVERY one there was a supposed permit holder, but might if it was merely progun/2A.

Now, if all of those that wanted to carry made it known that they were carrying, with through signage or OCing, just to make a point, that's be cool.

Guest GlocKingTN

I would like to see the reaction to that myself! I figure people will look at the "helmet law" ALOT different than the "gun law"! Some people cant even be around a gun without breaking out in a cold sweat!

leaving.gif

What if 165,000 permit holders open-carried in their own communities all the time, AND take it to the Capitol...?

Guest Hyaloid
What if 165,000 permit holders open-carried in their own communities all the time, AND take it to the Capitol...?

There you go.. poking the hornet's nest again :) :)

They would be on national news and you would lose your carry privileges. That’s just my <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>WAG</st1:stockticker> though.

I would like to see the reaction to that myself! I figure people will look at the "helmet law" ALOT different than the "gun law"! Some people cant even be around a gun without breaking out in a cold sweat!

That's me. :) I break out in a cold sweat every time I go into the local gun store. However I do not feel it is from an adversion to guns, rather I feel it is from my addictive nature that requires me to purchase more and more guns. (put 2 ruger 10/22's (pink/stainless) in layaway for my grand daughters yesterday) I must have it bad, I'm now buying guns for others now.:)

They would be on national news and you would lose your carry privileges. That’s just my <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>WAG</st1:stockticker> though.

:) ......

If the purpose is visibility, how is there any difference?

Where has such an outcry against OC ever occurred, causing the result you speak of?... Virginia is the best example, and the effect has been the opposite.

If the purpose is visibility, how is there any difference?.

The purpose is visibility to the legislators that have given you your privileges and make decisions about pending firearm legislation. It’s not so the public can see you in your BDU, Bloused boots, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City>Miami</st1:City> classic shoulder holster with two S&W 500’s and mirrored sunglasses.

Where has such an outcry against OC ever occurred, causing the result you speak of?... Virginia is the best example, and the effect has been the opposite.

I don’t know that it has ever happened; hence I said <st1:stockticker>WAG</st1:stockticker>.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but wouldn't carrying on the State Capitol premises = jail time?

I don’t know. But I’m absolutely sure it would not equal jail time if 165,000 people showed up. :)

jail1.gif

<O:p</O:p

But if that the case… no it probably wouldn’t help the cause.

Maybe this idea sucks after all. leaving.gif

<O:p</O:p

...It’s not so the public can see you in your BDU, Bloused boots, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City>Miami</st1:City> classic shoulder holster with two S&W 500’s and mirrored sunglasses.

:down: How did you know!?

:D

For the record, it is my impression that there are just as many law-abiding folks in this state who are on the fence, or unaware, that they can take steps to legally carry a firearm, as there are folks who are vehemently against it. One of the more frequent responses I get when I OC (if there is any response at all), is along the lines of: "Is that legal?... yes?... What do I need to do to carry?..."

I was once that inquiring person, having seen a gentleman carrying a Walther P99 openly in a business I worked at when I was home one summer... And look at me now! :)

There are potential negative and positive effects from doing anything controversial... All that I try to be is a visible, positive influence.

It’s not so the public can see you in your BDU, Bloused boots, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City>Miami</st1:City> classic shoulder holster with two S&W 500’s and mirrored sunglasses.

That would make you look like a striking coal miner. :)

Guest Hyaloid
That would make you look like a striking coal miner. :down:

I hope you mean striking, as in not working... as opposed to striking meaning beautiful. :)