mud island in memphis

Guest meyerbj81

Guest meyerbj81

Hey guys kinda a spin off of an earlier post here. I'm moving to memphis am currently looking at mud island due to the proximity of work places (hospitals). I was just wanting to hear any of yalls opinions on the area. It looks nice enough but wanter to hear what some locals say about the aream

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harbor town which is the area on Mud Island is very nice. The houses are a little pricy but the proximity to downtown is nice. However, the northern part of downtown, known as the Pinch district is in decline. It's the area around the Pyramid. Downtown Memphis is moving south around the Fed Ex forum, not north. Also, once you get off Mud Island you find yourself in not too great an area. A good friend of mine's girlfriend has a house down there and she likes it, but is moving out to east shelby county, if that tells you anything. If you do decide to move to mud island, I hope you like the round about that is at the end of Auction street on Mud Island...my engineering firm designed it....:rolleyes:

Guest HVAC Worker

It's real simple Mike357,its called a job.If I didnt work in Memphis who would support all of the people that voted for our president.

Edited by HVAC Worker
Racial remarks removed. This isn't the place for that.
Guest bkelm18
I guess I'll be pessimistic and say you're sitting on an island on a fault line...

Yeah because when that baby blows, only the island will be effected... :cool:

there are jobs all over the place, not just in Memphis. I did not mean to offend.

if you all can't do better than stay there by all means stay.

It is just that I always read on here how people who live out that way think it a hell hole ,filled with crime and undesirable neighbors. I just don't get why people stay there.

Is a job the only desirable thing about being there?

For some people it is simply home. There are other areas in West TN where my relatives live. In years past when I was a kid, they would hound my mom to move back to her hometown area or the big town near it. Those same relatives now say we're better off having stayed in Memphis. Those areas have declined considerably over the last 20 years.

Not every area is perfect, but I'll be the first to agree Memphis is THE armpit of the state. :cool: But like I said, it's home.

It's real simple Mike357,its called a job.If I didnt work in Memphis who would support all of the people that voted for our president.

Tell us how you really feel.

Edited by Fallguy
Quoted post was edited by Admin. So quote changed to reflect update

I spent 20 years in Memphis and all I'll say is that there is a reason northern Mississippi is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. Plus if you live anywhere near the city limits you will be paying taxes like you wouldn't believe. Unless you have tax shelters in Zürich, the taxes alone would break you.

Personally, I like the area that I live in, which is in Shelby County a decent bit away from Memphis - nice, quiet town but I have access to the convenience of the city as needed.

For me, the prospect of moving my business and family is daunting, to say the least. I started my business here as I couldn't afford the start-up costs combined with moving. Would I prefer living in central TN? Eh, doubt it.

At the end of the day, Memphis sucks and I'm glad to be out of it, but living near it isn't bad...

Guest canynracer
Hey guys kinda a spin off of an earlier post here. I'm moving to memphis am currently looking at mud island due to the proximity of work places (hospitals). I was just wanting to hear any of yalls opinions on the area. It looks nice enough but wanter to hear what some locals say about the aream

To get back on topic...

Anytime you live close to downtown in a big city, you are going to have your share of crime....

If you are single, its probably the best place, lots of fun places and things to do downtown. You will have to learn the demographics...When I first moved here, I was told "If you see a Church's Chicken, get out FAST!"

If you have family, I would suggest living in Shelby county, and make the commute. Try to avoid living in the "city" limits if you are planning on buying, areas like Lakeland are about 25-30 min from downtown, and you only have county taxes.

Also, if you live in the county, you dont have to sweat the vehicle inspection.

But there is not much for fun things to do in the "burbs".

Wherever you end up, GET YOUR PERMIT and CARRY!!!

What Canyn said. Memphis is home only because right now I can't sell my house and my wifes GM is old and infirmed. Once those two things are taken care of Montana here I come!

As for Mud Island, I think for a single person or just a husband and wife you could pick a lot worse place to live. For a family though it is not the place to be. No real grocery store, there are parks however for play time.

Guest Revelator

The houses on Mud Island are too close together in my opinion. You could just about reach out your kitchen window and touch the next one. And no offense 323 but that roundabout is a traffic nightmare, least it used to be. (I used to go over there a lot but haven't been in a couple years.) I always felt like I was about to get in a wreck as I drove around it. Also, it's not really an island, is it? I think it's more like a peninsula. People sometimes just refer to it as "The Island," like it's in the Bahamas or something, and I think to myself, "You're a tool."

Guest crotalus01

Pretty sure its an island. There was a big to-do many years ago between TN and AR about which state had jurisdiction over it, TN won.

I spent 20 years in Memphis and all I'll say is that there is a reason northern Mississippi is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. Plus if you live anywhere near the city limits you will be paying taxes like you wouldn't believe. Unless you have tax shelters in Zürich, the taxes alone would break you.

Hence the reason that I just bought a house in Marshall County. Close enough to Memphis where my family and my wife's family are, but far enough away that I can relax, plus where else could I buy an acre and half and a 1900+ square foot house for $125,000?:lol:

The houses on Mud Island are too close together in my opinion. You could just about reach out your kitchen window and touch the next one. And no offense 323 but that roundabout is a traffic nightmare, least it used to be. (I used to go over there a lot but haven't been in a couple years.) I always felt like I was about to get in a wreck as I drove around it. Also, it's not really an island, is it? I think it's more like a peninsula. People sometimes just refer to it as "The Island," like it's in the Bahamas or something, and I think to myself, "You're a tool."

No offense at all. It is a weird thing and people have no idea how to navigate it. Also it's hard to go around it when people come off the Auction street bridge at 70 mph. But it does allow traffic to flow better than the previous intersection.

And to all, it is a peninsula, not an island. If you drive to the north end, you hang a sharp right and that will take you to the "mainland". It used to be an island before the Wolf River was rerouted years ago.

Guest meyerbj81

Ha ha funny how someone mentioned churchs chicken. My girlfriend and I were driving trying to find the nearest grocery store. We saw a kroger that looked kinda run down but she said as long as there's not a churchs we should be good....well, what do you know we saw that place right across the street. We were driving out the northwest side of the island and come to find out later we were in a pretty bad neighborhood. but yes I'm a single guy, atleast not married, without children. I know its always a trade off with proximity of downtown and crime but I hate commuting with a passion. All in all I'm hearing that as for places close to where I wanna be its about as good as its gonna get. Thanks again for all the replies

Guest JHatmaker

Man, mud island! I used to go to that museum when I was a kid (lived in Germantown back in 85-86). Loved the civil war section with the cannon and river boat...

Anyway, so have they built houses on all that land just across the river as you head towards Arkansas? Or am I totally off here??? Haven't been to Memphis in years...

Guest JHatmaker

Nevermind, just googled it and saw all the houses they've built, damn. I don't remember that area being that big, but then again I was in 2nd grade.

There is no solid ground around here, not if the Big One hits. Look up Soil Liquefaction.

Soil liquefaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1812 New Madrid earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yea I've read about it. Geology has always fascinated me and since my wife is from New Madrid county,MO we have studied up on the 1812 quake, as well as looked into all the theories about a new quake.

My point is if you're ON the river, or right by it, you're pretty much screwed. I'm not positive on this, but I also believe that it's been said that the primary concern for soil liquefication is from the west side of 240 over. I.E the Clark Tower area to the river.