New Ruger AR

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Papabear
Thought I'd start a thread here in proper category, now that we know what the new product is.

Jeff Quinn has the first review of it I've seen:

Ruger SR-556 AR-15 Style 5.56mm Semi-Auto Carbine

- OS

I just read that myself. Looks to be a pretty good rifle especially with all the add ons already on it. I am curious as to how well the supply will be or if it's going to be super rare for awhile. I have been looking at the Sig 556 real hard lately but this new Ruger has defenatly caught my eye.

Guest Halfpint

Two grand, though? I can get an LMT piston gun with the monolithic rail for the same MSRP. ;)

I'm reasonably impressed but if I'm spending that much on a rifle, I want a 1:7 twist and would prefer NOT to have the manufacturer's logo on every possible part of the rifle. Just me. :rolleyes:

Guest joeharris
If this same AR would have hit the market about 12 months ago, MSRP would have been about $600 cheaper. Not impressed.

+1000. It is strange that on the top AR's even though the price went up, after the election, they did not come back down, but the cheap ones did!

Guest Mugster
You think the three 30 round Magpul mags that come with it have block sto limit them to 10 rounds each?

Haha. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Or cost $120 per from the factory and only sold to certified law enforcement officers.

I guess I should be happy. Its obvious Ruger was stupid for a long long long time. I guess they finally admitted it with this release.

$2000 for a "new-comer" rifle that has a bunch of CCA and Tapco stuff strapped onto it? :rolleyes:

What do you see from Command Arms or Tapco?

I see Hogue grip, Troy free float rail system, Magpul Pmags, Troy Industries sights, etc.

(I still think Bill Ruger can suck an egg, but that rifle is sporting top shelf kit)

Edited by BimmerFreak
Guest m4coyote

I guess the "modern" Ruger is having a change of heart towards us civilians. Either that or they are just want to increase the bottom line. I do like the idea of a clean running action, but wish that the upper would have housed the action spring, similar to the type of system on the Sig 556 or LMT.

It is probably an improvement over the typical AR direct gas impingement system, but it still does not allow for the installation of a folding stock. The ability to install a folding stock would be the only reason I would purchase another AR, but this does look nice.

I guess the "modern" Ruger is having a change of heart towards us civilians. Either that or they are just want to increase the bottom line.

It's all about the dollars, I guarantee it.

Guest Linoge

For that much money, I cannot admit as though I am impressed... they are coming in very late to the party (even for the piston actuation system), and the whole proclaiming their particular design to be "revolutionary"? Yeah. Ok. Sure. It just happens to provide nothing new to the party, is all...

The CAA comment may have come from the "accessories" link - just about everything mentioned is made by CAA, and I can personally attest to how craptacular their products are.

*shrug* For the same price I can get a POF piston rifle (admittedly without the sights), and I think I would be significantly happier that way.

So, seriousness dispensed with, what is the anchor pool on the recalls?

Edited by Linoge
Guest Todd@CIS
What do you see from Command Arms or Tapco?

I see Hogue grip, Troy free float rail system, Magpul Pmags, Troy Industries sights, etc.

(I still think Bill Ruger can suck an egg, but that rifle is sporting top shelf kit)

Good call.

Linoge is right, I was quickly looking at the "accessories" page, saw all the CCA and Tapco crap, and thought it was included with the rifle.

Still, $2000 on this rifle?

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Dean_JC78

The more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the LWRC. Though it they seem similar, the LWRC comes stock with all the accessories while Ruger appears to charge extra for them.

I don't think Ruger has changed. I just think they are trying to make a buck.

Course I'm probably wrong, but opinions are like armpits and all that jazz. First thing I'd change on the rifle though? The stupid mini-14 birdcage they've put on it to be cute.

Edited by Metalhead
Guest m4coyote

You are probably right about making a buck, as sales on single shots and single actions are probably not netting enough cash.