1911 people, what do you think of these?

Guest (BH)

Guest (BH)

i have never owned a 1911, and i dont know much about them. i really like them and at some point i plan to buy one to customize. maybe like a "fixer up" kinda thing.

so anyhow, i found this while messing around today and i was interested to see what the 1911 lovers thought of these. im particularly interested in the ones that are actually unfinished colt's.

here's the link:

Military Surplus from JLD Enterprises

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I agree w/ John, if you're wanting to get into a 1911, Rock Island Armory apparently makes a great 1911 for the money.

Or I'd save up and get a Para, Taurus, Kimber, etc.

I recently handled a Taurus PT1911 with a trigger replacement, and it felt awesome. I don't know anything about the 1911's you found, so I can't say they're bad or what not, but generally I always use caution if it's something I've never heard of. Someone may jump on here and say otherwise who's familiar with them. But wait before you make a move. Good luck with whatever you do though.

Guest JavaGuy

I won't claim to be knowledgeable.. but I do have a RIA .45 and like it.

The Sistemas look like the best bet to me... lower cost AND built to have complete parts interchangeability with the standard 1911A1. Grin.. I might have to look into this myself. My RIA might need an older brother..

Have a look at the Box of Truth to see what can be done to fix up an old Sistema.

Educational Zone #38 - Refinishing a Sistema .45 ACP - Part 1 - Page 1

Educational Zone #39 - Refinishing a Sistema .45 ACP - Part 2 - Page 1

Educational Zone #40 - Refinishing a Sistema .45 ACP - Range Report

Educational Zone #41 - Tiger Striping a Firearm - Page 1

Guest (BH)

yeah i have had my eye on RIA for a while. they make some pretty guns that are all about $500 from what iv seen. im glad to hear them recommended.

i was sorta thinking that those wouldnt be a good purchase. my only experience with surplus handguns has been with european handguns (cz's, tok's, etc.) and i havent seen any bad buys out of those so i wasnt sure if these had potential or not.

Guest JavaGuy

Why don't you check with a gunsmith re those surplus pistols? I can't see that it would hurt to have an opinion from someone who works with guns for a living.

Guest Crunchman

I have several fellow C&R collector buddies that have Stars, BMs, and Sistemas. They all like them and shoot/carry them frequently. In some of our C&R shoots, their guns have done just as well as the Colts in bowling pin matches. Of course, being collectors, they think that any alteration to such a gun is sacrilege.

Guest BigShot

if you are looking at doing some custom work yourself later on and want to end up with a great shooter, you gotta start with a tight slide/receiver fit to begin with. I've always been told the old war horse 45s were loose so they would fire under any condition with 100 repeatability BUT they were no target pistol.

Put out a WTB-"want to buy" ad with your best offer and see what comes. The RIA or SA are great starters for what you are talking about doing. :tinfoil:

The Ballester is a good sturdy pistol. You may have to have the feed ramp polished to insure that it will feed properly.

The Sistema Colt is a very nice pice and part will interchange with quality after market parts. If your on a budget and want a 1911 to shoot and carry, the Sistema would get my vote. It could also provide a core for a custome build.

Guest Rando

My Dad and I both have the Taurus PT1911 and like them very well. I had never owned a 45 but finally broke down and got this one (and at a great price) and do not regret it a bit. There is just something about having a quality handgun in your hand, and I have to admit with the 1911 they did it right the first time. I won't convert completley from my .40's but maybe a few .45's will not hurt.

Good luck

Guest kringle02

I bought a ria 45 about 2 months ago i changed a few things on it ,like a wide combat grip safety i paid 416.00 plus taxes it shoots really good 25 yards dead on ,i was fooling around just to see if i could do it and shoot a air conditioner at a 100 yards took all the front sight to do it . but i hit it

I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is, the Sistema is an excellent choice. In many ways, superior to a lot of current manufacture offerings. Excellent metallurgy, made on Colt machinery by Colt trained technicians to very high standards.

The bad news is that web page is very very old. Sistemas were last imported in the mid '90's, and unless you find a very dumb seller or a very trashed example, will run at least twice the price listed and probably more.

The BM is okay. It isn't (quite) a 1911, although some parts will swap.

Guest FiddleDog
I agree w/ John, if you're wanting to get into a 1911, Rock Island Armory apparently makes a great 1911 for the money.

Or I'd save up and get a Para, Taurus, Kimber, etc.

I recently handled a Taurus PT1911 with a trigger replacement, and it felt awesome. I don't know anything about the 1911's you found, so I can't say they're bad or what not, but generally I always use caution if it's something I've never heard of. Someone may jump on here and say otherwise who's familiar with them. But wait before you make a move. Good luck with whatever you do though.

My wife got me a PT1911 as a wedding present, and I think it's an exceptional firearm. Solid and the slide rides the rail like it was on ball bearings. No wiggle. The only complaints that I have are that the ambi-safety likes to walk themselves out (I was going to replace it anyways, because the Crimson Trace grips don't play well with ambi's with a tang) and the ammunition is cost prohibitive for paper punching. It's a great gun for the price. I understand that Springfield and Para both have (or will) be releasing a sub $600 Government also, so they might be something worthwhile to look at. I doubt that the PT1911 will keep much of a trade value if that's important to you because there's still a lot of hate on the brand. I love mine and there's a rabid following for them.

I understand that Springfield and Para both have (or will) be releasing a sub $600 Government also, so they might be something worthwhile to look at.

I REALLY want to get my hands on that Para... I have yet to read a bad word about it. My only complaint is it doesn't come in stainless.