Advice to a novice on home-building an AR lower

leroy

Dear fellow TGO'ers:

Have been thinking for the last few months about home building a multicaliber AR lower. I've got plenty of time on my hands and I figure that it could come in handly sometime. In all my years of shooting; I just never fooled with an AR -- we always fooled with shotguns, bolt and single shot rifles, and my real love; big caliber revolvers and 1911's.

I've tinkered and took things apart all my life; so i.m not too worried about breaking things or putting them back together (sometimes wrong!!). I guess that boils down to a pretty basic understanding of mechanical stuff.

My goal for this lower is to shoot everything from a good precision 223 up to adding a 50 Beowulf (been thinking about loading some hard cast lead plated bullets like the guys use in the X frame smith 50's). The precision 223 would be something on the order of a heavy barrel a4 type set up with an 18 inch barrel and a free float handguard. The beowulf would be whatever it is from Alexander arms.

Basic specs follow:

1. Would like a good, reliable multicaliber lower that wont break or fail to feed or give trouble with magazines-- any ideas about brands; or does it make any difference?

2. Would like a good, clean 3 pound trigger -- what kind is best? Where to find it?

3. Would like either a good, serviceable six position stock; or a short stock --- what kinds are best buy and most rugged considering the Beowulf recoil? Or should I do two lowers; one for the little calibers and one for the big?

4. Where is the best place to buy the pins, springs, hammer, buffer, etc to build out the lower? Names, locations, websites, and contacts would be great.

5. Recommendations on assembly literature and diagrams -- ain't got a clue outside of the exploded views i've seen where these parts go to gether.

6. Recommended tools for assembly.

7. Things to look out for in fitting all this together; including observations and recommendations on what is important and what is not.

Please think about this stuff and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

LEROY

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Would like a good, reliable multicaliber lower that wont break or fail to feed or give trouble with magazines-- any ideas about brands; or does it make any difference?

Most lowers are created equal. Look for any familiar names Spike's Tactical, LMT, DPMS, Sabre, S&W, Tactical Innovations, etc. Splurge on the upper to maximize reliability.

3. Would like either a good, serviceable six position stock; or a short stock --- what kinds are best buy and most rugged considering the Beowulf recoil? Or should I do two lowers; one for the little calibers and one for the big?

Magpul's UBR is supposed to be pretty solid, although I haven't handled one myself. I've been very happy w/ my CTR (also a Magpul product). I think an ACE stock would be a great option for what you're looking for.

4. Where is the best place to buy the pins, springs, hammer, buffer, etc to build out the lower? Names, locations, websites, and contacts would be great.

Brownells would be a good place to look. Lower Parts Kits are in short supply right now, so hunt around.

5. Recommendations on assembly literature and diagrams -- ain't got a clue outside of the exploded views i've seen where these parts go to gether.

6. Recommended tools for assembly.

Brownells website has a very extensive set of videos. These videos also go over what tools you'll need.

Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

Good luck on your build :meh:

Hit the dreaded AR15.com.

Lots of information plus step by step tutorials on putting them together.

Agree on spending more money on the uppers, especially the barrel selection.

Rock River Arms is my choice for AR parts. They use Yankee Hill manufacturing for their standard rails if you go that way.

Agree on the Magpul systems for stock. If your going precision shooting, go with the PRS adjustable though.

Only thing I would go thumbs down on is the 50 Beo. Get a 458 Socom from RRA. More bullet and speed selection. Better shooting specs. The 50 Beo is a pistol round and can't push the variety of projectiles. You can go from subsonic to lightning fast with the Socom. 86 grain aluminum HPs all the way up to 600 grain solids.

Several vendors on here have or are advertising quality lowers in the 150 to 200 range. Jump on in.

Only thing I would go thumbs down on is the 50 Beo. Get a 458 Socom from RRA. More bullet and speed selection. Better shooting specs. The 50 Beo is a pistol round and can't push the variety of projectiles. You can go from subsonic to lightning fast with the Socom. 86 grain aluminum HPs all the way up to 600 grain solids.

Good call, I didn't even think about that. Doesn't .458 SOCOM fit into standard 30round AR mags as well? Universal mags would be a huge selling point for me.

Good call, I didn't even think about that. Doesn't .458 SOCOM fit into standard 30round AR mags as well? Universal mags would be a huge selling point for me.

Yes sir! Just pin the upper to your standard AR lower and load up your standard magazines with the single stack .458 cartridges. You don't get the same capacity of course. I could get 7 in a 20 round mag and I think 11 or 12 in a 30. I have even seen them loaded in a beta mag!

Nothing like sending 400 grain bullets down range as fast as you can reacquire and pull the trigger!:hat:

Mine is currently residing with Kahrman but the deal to return it has been set.

This is what she looked like with some "boolits" in the foreground.

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Most lowers are created equal. Look for any familiar names Spike's Tactical, LMT, DPMS, Sabre, S&W, Tactical Innovations, etc. Splurge on the upper to maximize reliability.

Magpul's UBR is supposed to be pretty solid, although I haven't handled one myself. I've been very happy w/ my CTR (also a Magpul product). I think an ACE stock would be a great option for what you're looking for.

Brownells would be a good place to look. Lower Parts Kits are in short supply right now, so hunt around.

Brownells website has a very extensive set of videos. These videos also go over what tools you'll need.

Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

Good luck on your build :D

Thanks to all of you who have taken time to point me in the right direction and give your advice and council. I've spent a good while watching the Brownell's how-to videos as well as looking on the AR15.com site this evening. You all have inspired me, and I think i am ready to round up a lower, scrounge parts, and start to work.

In regards to the 458 SOCOM; do any of you know of anyone who has tried to use the flash copper plated lead bullets for it? My original thought with the 50 Beowulf was to use them -- several of the plated bullet guys (berry, etc) make copper plated bullets for the 500 s and w; that's why i was thinking of the beowulf. I haven't taken the time to check to see if anyone makes a plated .458 bullet. Think about this and please give me your thoughts. The downsides of this idea may be availability of plated bullets and potential problems with fouling the gas port and tube on the AR.

Again, thanks for all the recommendations and help.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Been discussed heavily on 458socomforums.com.

Check here

I have not loaded any gas checked lead bullets. I have used the 300 grain JHPs and 405 grain spire points as well as a few 86 grain aluminum ones for show and some 450 grain solids! They all shoot very well!

The conclusion is yes, over time, leading could foul the gas system but it would be over a long period of time and when you get down to it, the quickest way to work around it is to buy a new gas tube and start all over again. Several of the fellows over there are already loading cast bullets like Berry's and Hawk.

The .458 rifle rounds for the 45-70 are not that expensive for standard jacketed bullets. If your talking Barnes TSX they do get pricey pretty quick. They just did a group buy on those over there and are waiting for them to arrive.

If you're looking for big bore alternatives to pin on a standard AR you get a huge selection with the Socom vs the Beo.