Need some help - rank these budget 9MM options

RinTN

Guest joeharris

Keltec PF-9 is my fav. carry gun, used to be my Glock -27, which is now gathering dust! Get the belt clip & finger extension! The gun is about $300. Best wishes.:cool:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3pugguy

Gotcha. Well, offer stands if you find yourself over this way. Please let us know what you settle on and how it works for you. At some point, I will buy more guns (please don't tell the family budget manager, LOL).

Depending on your budget I would also look at the CZ P07 Duty, it has quickly risen to one of my favorite pistols. ...

Anyone else have an opinion on the CZ P07? Pricing on it looks very attractive and CZ seems to have a very good reputation.

I don't know about the P07 but I recently purchased the CZ 75D PCR and love it. Once you wrap your fingers around the grip, it's over with. It'll be coming home with you! Somewhat limited on holster and parts but extremely accurate and reliable.

I don't know about the P07 but I recently purchased the CZ 75D PCR and love it. Once you wrap your fingers around the grip, it's over with. It'll be coming home with you! Somewhat limited on holster and parts but extremely accurate and reliable.

Do you mind sharing what you paid?

Guest FiddleDog

The Stoeger Cougar is a great gun. Made on the same machinery that the Beretta Cougar was made. Recoil is very manageable and the finish is comparable to the finishes on their shotguns (which is really good).

The Taurus 24/7 is one of the most comfortable pistols that you can get, and the 17 round magazine is a nice touch. It also has a lot of safety features that you wont find until you go up a couple of hundred dollars. Taurus has a great lifetime warrantee, and they've made great strides in Q/A over the last few years. There is an awful stigma attached to Taurus, even though their history and progression over the last 20 years is almost identical to S&W. Randy in customer service is miserable, and he does seem to be the only guy answering the phone, though.

The Ruger looks like a solid pistol, but I've not had any experience with them, nor have I had any experience with them nor the Bersa.

The Sigma is what I consider S&W's Millenium. Rife with q/a problems at the onset. Bad enough the most people will dog them without even knowing what they look, feel, or shoot like. Smith got forgiveness when it's sister company didn't. I'm sure that they've fixed them, being a few generations in. Personally, I don't like how they point or look. I hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest foister82

The p95 is reliable and will eat anything you put through it but it is one of the heavier 9mm i've shot with. i came close to buying one off a guy at church for $300 but ended up saving for an XDM 40cal. Ruger makes great weapons but i urge you to try to shoot one first because you may love it, you may hate it. There's not much fall between there.

My first choice for 9mm is always Glock 19. But that really wasn't the question. :cheers:

I owned a Ruger P89 for a while and liked it very much. Accurate, reliable, rugged. Will probably buy another one of these days. I also owned one of the Bersas. It just didn't feel as good in my hand in some undefinable way. I have no experience with the other guns mentioned. Make sure whatever you get is the best for YOU. Once you get past reliable and accurate, everything else is just opinion. Good luck!

TK47

My first choice for 9mm is always Glock 19. But that really wasn't the question. :cheers:

Actually, at this point, that may well be the answer. I'm planning on going to see the guys at Tri-Cities Gun Depot and likely getting either a Glock 19 or 26. :woohoo:

Guest FiddleDog

If you're willing to consider other calibers, I think I saw a G30 in the classified section for 450. I wish I had 450 right now...I'd snap it up like the Wayan brothers on sunday night (2 snaps and a circle).

rin you gonna bring your new gun saturday? I'll just look for the guy with the nice shiny new glock :)

For the class? We aren't going this Saturday, it's actually the session in July that we'll be at. I wish it were this one, but I've got another commitment.

Guest foister82

aww well im sure it's an important commitment! Im sure you'll love your gun regardless. My shoot my brother's Glock 22 ex-service pistol on occasion and it's fun as can be. I'd get one myself but i really cant peel my eyes away from that XDM

If price is the determining factor I'd go KelTec. If you can add a few bucks, the M&P. Go to a shop and handle them.

I'm still giving some consideration to the M&P 9c. The problem is finding one locally so I can see how it actually feels in my hand.

Actually, at this point, that may well be the answer. I'm planning on going to see the guys at Tri-Cities Gun Depot and likely getting either a Glock 19 or 26. :D

Ah, another one turns to the GLOCK side!

I sure do love mine. If I wait a couple more years before I trade in for a new one, I think it's going to qualify as an antique. :) They are great guns. You won't be disappointed.

TK47

Guest SW9VEman

Could have had a 9ve that is the same as block for 1/2 the price. I have put 3000 rounds through mine and not had a single issue with mine.

Guest foister82

i may just be holding a grudge with the sigma series, but i'd steer clear of them... Sounds like you got yourself a good one which is awesome though.

A friend of mine got one for $99 when he bought one of his AR-15's a while back. We shot a few rounds through it and were not impressed. Given, if someone were to give me one or even offer me one for $99 i'd jump all over it... but if i were paying 300 for a pistol i'd probably look at other options.

Thats just a personal opinion and do not mean to knock the Sigma at all - just didnt much care for it myself

Guest 3pugguy

My vote would be the Ruger; I have a P89 - great gun (little heavy to carry, but rugged, reliable, and accurate). All I have seen/read by actual owners about the P95 is positive. And I am pretty sure you could get a P89 in great shape well within your budget and as noted, a used gun would open your options.

If you find yourself near or coming to Clarksville, you would be welcome to shoot the Ruger (or the Glock, just bring bullets, ha ha).

Carry a Glock 19, though, due weight and conceals easier...

I'll probably get flack for this, but...low-end pricing, Taurus. I've owned, and still have several--Milliniums in 9/40/45. I have no complaints with them. The 24/7 I've shot and like, but don't own. Can't beat the lifetim warranty, but service can honestly be a little slow.

Glocks seem to be just as good as everyone says, but they don't fit my hand.

Saw one recommendation for a Kel-tec P9 and can't say I'd agree with it. Bought one as possible carry and absloutely hated the long, long trigger. ( Love the Keltec 32, it's a great little pocket piece, not a target gun by any stetch, but surprisingly accurate to 10+ yards.)

I can highly reccommend a used XD9, great aim/sight picture, stunningly accurate for a short barreled gun. I've put 1000+ rounds thru mine without a single hitch. BTW, I bought it used and have bought three more used XD pistols since and all have performed wonderfully-- a 40 tactical, a 4 inch in 357 sig, and an Operator in 45

I know unless you look carefully, the XD's are usually more than you suggested limit, but I"m very satisfied with mine.

Having said that, look around, handle and shoot as many as possible, and what fits your hand best usually works best.

Good Luck in your hunt; I think you'll know when you hold the right one for you.

And you know what we say about all these opinions we're sharing with you.....