Governor Phil Bredesen Vetoes HB0962 (Restaurant Carry Bill)

Guest ColdEspresso

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SomeGuy

Hex,

I am curious, do you ever stop bleating on with your prattle in support of restrictions, and your utter willingness to give in?

dunn, for that we can thank groups such as the NRA, which rated Bredeson an A, and endorsed him. You'd think they would learn.

As for Naifeh, keep in mind, he spoke against this bill as is, voted against it, and did what he could. His power was in the committees and using intimidation, not on the floor.

Edited by SomeGuy
Guest MediaBuster
Hex,

I am curious, do you ever stop bleating on with your prattle in support of restrictions, and your utter willingness to give in?

I'm kind of curious if you ever cease with your self righteous tirades & trying to impress everyone by using collegiate vocabulary like a trophy that you beat people over the head with? :rolleyes:

I don't question your intelligence, but I do question your people skills..

Guest db99wj

Rep Curry Todd just gave me a call in response to my email I fired off right after the announcement and he said roughly this:

Don't email him, he knows, email your reps and Senators. They have filed it, should be heard and voted on next week, passed, sent to the Senate which he assumes they will do the same thing, it's just a delay, but they are still in session, which is key there is still time to handle the override. (The park bill might be veto'd and they will be out of session which will delay further).

Rep Todd asked me to pass this on. Very nice guy and a man of his word.

I also got a email back from Sen Doug Jackson

There is time for an override vote this session. The house must act first.

So it appears the house is doing what they need to do to get the override done and the Senate will follow once they are done...next week!

Guest MediaBuster
IMO, this is a pretty fair article written on the subject.

Bredesen Vetoes "Guns In Bars" Bill | Humphrey on the Hill | knoxnews.com

Anyone else see the problem with the moonbat Memphis Police Chief's statement?

Memphis Chief Larry Goodwin referred to two recent murders in Memphis where the alleged killers held handgun carry permits.

"In Memphis, we're keeping score. It's handgun permit holders two, unarmed citizens zero," he said.

So they haven't been convicted yet, but he's already convicted them in the media.. Scary guy..:rolleyes:

• Administrator

Thread title changed to reflect today's events.

Moderators: Please close any subsequent threads that just re-hash this issue, and re-direct people to this thread to keep things coherent. Threads bringing new content need not be merged, at the moderator's discretion.

Thanks.

Guest db99wj

Memphis Chief Larry Goodwin referred to two recent murders in Memphis where the alleged killers held handgun carry permits.

"In Memphis, we're keeping score. It's handgun permit holders two, unarmed citizens zero," he said.

So they haven't been convicted yet, but he's already convicted them in the media.. Scary guy..:rolleyes:

No doubt.

I skimmed right over that...kind of crazy!

Guest GlockRule

Ha, I grew up in Memphis and it AMAZES me of ALL CITIES, chief of police in Memphis says these things-with the HUGE thug and gang problem they have there you've got to be f'ing kidding me that anyone thinks citizens carrying guns is a bad idea, what a joke!

Guest HexHead
so are we sure they will vote on the overide next week?

Don't hold your breath. I still wouldn't be surprised if they kick this until next year when they return. Give all the anti's emotions a chance to die out and then vote on it when nobody's really paying attention.

Guest HexHead
Hex,

Go back and find my earlier post where Bredesen was quoted saying that he couldn't support any bill that allowed someone to bring a loaded gun into a bar at 12:00am on a Saturday. He didn't say anything about at 7:30 pm for a dinner reservation.

I've been concerned all along that because of all the objections, without any restrictions this bill had the potential to be "a bill too far", and Bredesen's comments appear to bear that out.

So now we're in a crisis of issues in doubt, in a best case scenario both chambers will put this on their calender ASAP and it's passage breezes through. I'm not so sure either of those things are a given at this point.

Guest db99wj
so are we sure they will vote on the overide next week?

Next week.

Don't hold your breath. I still wouldn't be surprised if they kick this until next year when they return. Give all the anti's emotions a chance to die out and then vote on it when nobody's really paying attention.

See my post above regarding the phone call I received from the bills sponsor Representative Curry Todd and the email from the Senator that is the bills strongest proponent (In the Senate).

I'm sure you can argue that this isn't 100%, but it is better than speculation and worst case scenario's.

Guest HexHead
IMO, this is a pretty fair article written on the subject.

Bredesen Vetoes "Guns In Bars" Bill | Humphrey on the Hill | knoxnews.com

Hmmm. I 'm about ready to retract my apology to Sen Jackson....

Sen. Doug Jackson, D-Dickson, who sponsored the bill in the Senate, said he would review the governor's comments before taking action because "I owe him that much respect." But he strongly defended the measure.

He doesn't owe that POS anything for this veto.

Edited by HexHead
To better clarify my insult to the Governor.
  • Administrator

If you guys are worried that our Reps won't vote in favor of overriding this, CALL THEM, EMAIL THEM, VISIT THEM and tell them that if they DON'T override it, you'll fire their ass at the voting booth next year.

I've already emailed my Rep (Harwell) and Sen (Jackson) asking for their support in overriding the veto. Harwell hasn't voted for the bill yet -- I made it clear that my future support (votes, time, and money) are contingent on her voting to override the veto. Jackson has been a big supporter of ours and I made sure to thank him.

Their phones will be ringing tomorrow also.

I also emailed the Governor and asked for his resignation...

Guest db99wj
Hmmm. I 'm about ready to retract my apology to Sen Jackson....

He doesn't owe that ******* anything for this veto.

It's called respect. I equate what he said to saying "With all due respect for your position as the Governor of this state, and I will listen to your baseless argument and reasons due to your position, but we looked at everything, we looked at it without emotion, and the people that this helps are good people" In any type of negotiations or differences of opinions you are respectful to the other side, no matter how much of a douchbag they may or may not be nor how wrong they may or may not be.

Guest crotalus01

For me, the ironic thing is if Breddison had vetoed the bill because he REALLY was convinced it was a bad bill, or he had a consistant anti-gun stance (no NRA A rating), I would have NO problem with it. You can't fault someone for voting their core beliefs if they are consistant, I am a firm believer in voting your core beliefs whether I agree or not.

In this case, however, Breddison has shown himself to be not just a hypocrite, but a turncoat piece of ****e hypocrite. This was a purely political move. I hope and pray this POS is DONE in politics because of this veto - and I hope it haunts him until his grave. C@#Ksucker...

Guest db99wj
If you guys are worried that our Reps won't vote in favor of overriding this, CALL THEM, EMAIL THEM, VISIT THEM and tell them that if they DON'T override it, you'll fire their ass at the voting booth next year.

QFT and QFI (Importance)

I have sent my emails and mentioned my responses a few responses ago!

Guest HexHead
Next week.

See my post above regarding the phone call I received from the bills sponsor Representative Curry Todd and the email from the Senator that is the bills strongest proponent (In the Senate).

I'm sure you can argue that this isn't 100%, but it is better than speculation and worst case scenario's.

Again, let's just hope the Senate doesn't drag it's feet like they did concurring with their own bill in the conference committee report.

Guest db99wj
Again, let's just hope the Senate doesn't drag it's feet like they did concurring with their own bill in the conference committee report.

Again if you look at the quote I put in my previous post, Sen Jackson, who is the one who brought it up in the appropriate manor last time, will do it again, at the appropriate time, which is after the house finish's their veto vote, which should be next week. The House put that ball in motion today.

Guest HexHead
It's called respect. I equate what he said to saying "With all due respect for your position as the Governor of this state, and I will listen to your baseless argument and reasons due to your position, but we looked at everything, we looked at it without emotion, and the people that this helps are good people" In any type of negotiations or differences of opinions you are respectful to the other side, no matter how much of a douchbag they may or may not be nor how wrong they may or may not be.

R E S P E C T is something that is earned. Bredesen lost all claim to that today, overriding the overwhelming wishes of his constituents. It's not like this bill was a squeaker in the State House. It passed both houses by a 3:1 margin. He even admitted, according to the Twitter report, during his press conference today that the calls and mail to his office were overwhelming in support of this bill, urging him to sign it.

The only thing he deserves now is the lamest of duck status. He obviously threw his constituents under the bus to placate his liberal big money contributors for whatever plans he has next.

Guest tnvolfan

Typical democratic response. People who have gun permits have never been the problem. This is the dumbest thing he's done yet.

• Administrator
For me, the ironic thing is if Breddison had vetoed the bill because he REALLY was convinced it was a bad bill, or he had a consistant anti-gun stance (no NRA A rating), I would have NO problem with it. You can't fault someone for voting their core beliefs if they are consistant, I am a firm believer in voting your core beliefs whether I agree or not.

In this case, however, Breddison has shown himself to be not just a hypocrite, but a turncoat piece of ****e hypocrite. This was a purely political move. I hope and pray this POS is DONE in politics because of this veto - and I hope it haunts him until his grave. C@#Ksucker...

It's spelled Bredesen. Just make sure you spell it right if you send him any nasty emails.