HB1796/SB1610 Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act

With all the excitement about the house override it may be easy to overlook the Senate vote today on HB1796/SB1610. It's now listed as enrolled; ready for House Speaker.

Edit:

HB1796 by West - FLOOR VOTE: THIRD CONSIDERATION 6/3/2009

Passed

Ayes...............................................22

Noes................................................7

Present and not voting.......................1

Senators voting aye were: Beavers, Black, Bunch, Burchett, Crowe, Finney L, Gresham, Henry, Herron, Jackson, Johnson, Ketron, McNally, Norris, Overbey, Stanley, Stewart, Tracy, Watson, Woodson, Yager, Mr. Speaker Ramsey -- 22.

Senators voting no were: Berke, Burks, Ford, Harper, Haynes, Kyle, Marrero -- 7.

Senators present and not voting were: Barnes -- 1.

Senate moved to substitute and conform to HB1796

Here's a link to the bill: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/106/Bill/HB1796.pdf

If it's made in Tennessee, federal rules do not apply. Tennessee takes a stand on the 10th Ammendment. Very similar to the Montana and Texas bills.

Edited by Motasyco
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
With all the excitement about the house override it may be easy to overlook the Senate vote today on HB1796/SB1610. It's now listed as enrolled; ready for House Speaker.

What does that mean? It passed the House on 5/28. Is it just waiting on Williams signature now before it's sent to the douchebag's err governor's desk?

I guess it's only important to you if you feel the the federal government has gone too far sticking it's nose in the state's business. The 10th Ammendment says the feds should only be involved in interstate commerce. I think it's an important stand. To me, it's about the people taking back control from the federal government. It opens the door to applying the same concept to anything we do within the state.

Here's a summary of the bill.

Bill Summary

This bill states that federal laws and regulations do not apply to personal firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition that is manufactured in Tennessee and remains in Tennessee. The limitation on federal law and regulation stated in this bill applies to a firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is manufactured using basic materials and that can be manufactured without the inclusion of any significant parts imported into this state. This bill states that firearms accessories imported into Tennessee that are subject to federal regulation do not subject a firearm to federal regulation under interstate commerce simply because they are attached to or used in conjunction with a firearm in Tennessee.

This bill states that it does not apply to:

(1) A firearm that cannot be carried and used by one person;

(2) A firearm with a bore diameter greater than 1 and 1/2 inches that uses smokeless powder;

(3) Ammunition with a projectile that explodes using an explosion of chemical energy after leaving the firearm; or

(4) A firearm that discharges two or more projectiles with one activation of the firing device.

This bill requires a firearm manufactured or sold in Tennessee under this bill to have the words "Made in Tennessee" clearly stamped on a central metallic part.

the problem is Sabre doesnt make their own lowers and there maybe other parts they dont make either. For years Barretts went completly made here in Tn either... I dont think they are now.

So unless they see fit to retool and spend mega money on it I dont see it happening.

Now all that said I hope this gets passed the supreme court and those guys decide to do everything in house.

So if a suppressor is made in Tennessee (and properly labeled as such) after this law takes effect...it would be legal to buy without a stamp needed as long as it stays within the state lines?

Hmmm....

Me thinks Hero gear should get into plumbing.

Guest oldfella

Firearms Freedom Bill Going to the Governor!

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert

8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151

Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408

http://www.gunowners.org

Friday, June 5, 2009

Your activism has reaped tremendous rewards!

Remember the bill we alerted you to recently? It's called the Firearms

Freedom Act, and it begins the process of rolling back federal gun

control in the Volunteer State.

Well, both the House and Senate have overwhelmingly passed this

legislation, so it is now on its way to the Governor.

House Bill 1796 passed by a vote of 87-1 in the House; the Senate passed

it by a vote of 22-7.

This bill would require that guns and ammunition manufactured in the

state be stamped with the words, "Made in Tennessee." Once

stamped with

this phrase, these items are "not subject to federal law or federal

regulation, including registration."

This is extremely important legislation. But you should know that

Governor Phil Bredsen (D) recently showed his antipathy to the Second

Amendment when he vetoed legislation repealing the ban on carrying

firearms in restaurants.

So we need to raise our voices louder than ever and let Gov. Bredesen

know where the people of Tennessee stand on Second Amendment issues!

ACTION: Please urge Gov. Phil Bredesen to sign the Tennessee Firearms

Freedom Act into law. You can use the contact information and

pre-written letter below to help you in addressing the Governor.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Phone: 615-741-2001

Fax: 615-532-9711

Email: Phil.Bredesen@tn.gov

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear Governor Bredesen:

Recently, you showed your antipathy to the Second Amendment when you

vetoed legislation repealing the ban on carrying firearms in

restaurants. Now is your chance to partially redeem yourself.

So I hope that you will sign the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act (HB

1796) into law. This legislation essentially states that if a gun is

manufactured in the state -- and the firearm stays in the state -- it is

exempt from federal gun control laws. This bill is virtually identical

to the law that was recently passed in Montana.

This legislation passed OVERWHELMINGLY in both chambers of the

legislature, and it is one of the most important bills from this year.

Yes, it's true that the Tennessee legislature passed a Tenth Amendment

resolution. But the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act is more than just a

resolution -- it is a bill that has teeth!

It's time that we sent a message to the U.S. Congress and tell them to

start legislating within the authority given it by the Constitution.

Please help continue the movement that began in Montana.

Please stand up for the Second and Tenth Amendments to the U.S.

Constitution, a document that you took an oath to support.

Sincerely,

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon

Strange that they didn't alter the wording of "multiple projectiles in one activation of the trigger" to exempt shotguns. It looks like a straight cut and paste of the Montana law.

I sent my email to the governor.

However, I forsee this getting veto'ed. I feel like Bredesen has plans to continue his political career, and letting a bill like this get by would not sit well with his leftist party. Here's hoping I'm wrong, though.

Guest Liberty Seeker
the problem is Sabre doesnt make their own lowers and there maybe other parts they dont make either. For years Barretts went completly made here in Tn either... I dont think they are now.

So unless they see fit to retool and spend mega money on it I dont see it happening.

Now all that said I hope this gets passed the supreme court and those guys decide to do everything in house.

This is from their web site.

. What makes Sabre AR rifles different from other AR-15 rifles?

Quality. Sabre is one of the few actual manufacturers of the AR-15 rifles. Rather than purchasing parts from various vendors and simply assembling the product, Sabre manufactures most of the major components of their rifle at their 45,000-square-foot factory in Nashville, Tennessee. In-house production allows us to hold tighter tolerance levels. Each rifle is crafted from the highest grade of materials and perfectly matched components. The advantage of this is that the fit, feel, and finish of the rifles are controlled as if each rifle were custom built, but in a production environment—so lead times are shorter than most custom rifle builders.

Additionally, Sabre is proud that every rifle is composed of all U.S.-made parts, whether supplied from our highly regarded mil-spec U.S. suppliers or manufactured in the Sabre factory. Every component of the Sabre rifle passes our stringent quality control as an “Aâ€-class product, or we don’t use it.

Looking at a picture of their lowers it has Nashville stamped on it, but i didn't see MFG. in. So do they make their own lowers or not? Is there a way to find for certain?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Nunan viewpost.gif

Based on the last veto I think Bredesen will veto all pro gun bills as he has nothing to lose.

why, I thought that was part of the backroom deal that he made for use giving up local parks... he wouldnt veto anything else gun wise?

The "backroom deal" is debateable to say nothing as to why we should belive anything Bredesen says.

This is from their web site.

. What makes Sabre AR rifles different from other AR-15 rifles?

Quality. Sabre is one of the few actual manufacturers of the AR-15 rifles. Rather than purchasing parts from various vendors and simply assembling the product, Sabre manufactures most of the major components of their rifle at their 45,000-square-foot factory in Nashville, Tennessee. In-house production allows us to hold tighter tolerance levels. Each rifle is crafted from the highest grade of materials and perfectly matched components. The advantage of this is that the fit, feel, and finish of the rifles are controlled as if each rifle were custom built, but in a production environment—so lead times are shorter than most custom rifle builders.

Additionally, Sabre is proud that every rifle is composed of all U.S.-made parts, whether supplied from our highly regarded mil-spec U.S. suppliers or manufactured in the Sabre factory. Every component of the Sabre rifle passes our stringent quality control as an “Aâ€-class product, or we don’t use it.

Looking at a picture of their lowers it has Nashville stamped on it, but i didn't see MFG. in. So do they make their own lowers or not? Is there a way to find for certain?

the key is they are telling a little white lie... they dont even make their own lower receivers... which is what the ATF considers the firearm. So actually Sabre is just a glorified parts installer.