Carry in WMA's bill HB 0961

I think we're mostly in agreement... with one notable exception... If/when HB0961 becomes law, except for some very limited cases (bow hunting for example)...

Handgun carry will be allowed on state owned land that are WMAs... HB0961 removes the provision in the law for the TWRA to regulate the carry of handguns on WMAs (again with some limited exceptions as defined outside 70-5-101 and 70-4-117 - bow hunting as an example)...

These two areas are cited in the published TWRA regulations as the law giving them the authority to restrict handgun carry on WMAs (not the hunters guide but the published regulations Fallguy linked a couple of pages back).

Unless somewhere else in the law gives them authority to regulate firearms or handgun carry then TWRA won't have legal authority to regulate handgun carry.

As Fallguy has noted, we've found one exception so far (bow hunting), there maybe more... And it would be helpful if people come across them to post a link to the law.

Also it appears as written the long gun carry law does not impact WMAs, and we'll have to try and get that addressed next session.

Jayc, I would encourage you to follow the TWRA reactions on this matter, each WMA's have different rules, this can be and is for me quiet a problem. When hunting season that I enjoy open back up, I travel from one to the other to hunt. I use dogs quite often, some allow the use of dogs and others do not, some allow rifles and others do not. With my dogs, its hard to explain that I am not using them, even though that are locked up in the dog box. Some allow handguns and others do not. I don't think that is going to change, even though you have the right to carry one. It may only be allowed in the firing range areas or camp grounds during hunting seasons. I have had TWRA Officers question why I had several rifles in the truck. There are safety zones and no hunting zones inside of many different WMA's, and as a HCP holder, once you enter a WMA you can, not knowingly be in trouble from the get go. So many different Officers with so many different ideas as to what the regs are already, and so, just error on the side of caution.
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patty
No, I am not saying you are making it up. And I did not mean that you looked like a poacher. I just felt that the Felony Stop was a little excessive for a hunting lic check. I was implying that it seemed like overkill unless you are 6'7" 300 lbs.

I understand what you meant, just alittle humor for TWRA folks.

Guest kkennedy1

Hi fellow gun owners, i have follwed this bill on the state website and must admit i get a little lost at times with the procedures and wording, my questions on this bill is, what has to take place for this be law and when would it go into affect, kk

Hi fellow gun owners, i have follwed this bill on the state website and must admit i get a little lost at times with the procedures and wording, my questions on this bill is, what has to take place for this be law and when would it go into affect, kk

Welcome to TGO, KK.

Yeah the laws, regulations, and rules by the various agencies make for a real convoluted mess for us to figure out the who, where, whats of being legal, not to mention the whys. Seems like it is pretty easy to spend more time figuring out what is legal than actually spending time in the great outdoors while legally protecting oneself.

Many thanks to those who have given their opinion. I am sure we'll get it sorted out by the time the governor signs it or it stays on his desk for the time required for all this to become law.

oldogy, who made a note to self to stay on topic.:D

My understanding is that it is waiting on the governors signature.

Edited by oldogy

When the govenor signs this bill or lets it become law has anyone found out yet if you can carry in the Cherokee National Forest/WMA. I have yet to see if anyone knows if the Forest Service has a law that prevents carry. I do know for sure that as of rigght now, they will stop you ,search you and if they find a weapon you will get a trip to jail. As for the reason for the search it is probabal cause. Cause I wanted to stop you and see if you had anything. The Forest Service is 100 times worse than the TWRA officers. Funny how a gun and a badge makes someone a judge of who the guilty are. My rant for the day. And I have good friends who are LEO's and Conservation officers here and in other states. The everybody is a poacher mentality has to go. Believe it or not there are some people who actually try to obey the laws.

Last I knew JayC had contacted them and was waiting for a response.

But AFAIK there is no blanket law/regulation that prevents carry in National Forest. It appears to be a location by location thing.

I made a follow up call today and I'm still waiting a return call, I get the impression they are waiting on in house legal counsel to do some research for them on the subject.

All the talk about carrying in a WMA is fine but will it mean we can FIRE our handgun in the woods. That used to be why we'd go to the woods to begin with. Carrying a handgun makes me feel more secure but I want to shoot it!

All the talk about carrying in a WMA is fine but will it mean we can FIRE our handgun in the woods. That used to be why we'd go to the woods to begin with. Carrying a handgun makes me feel more secure but I want to shoot it!

If you're just wanting to shoot it, then you need to go to some other set of woods besides a WMA

In a lot of the country National Forest land is open to such activities. The fact that it's a WMA probably excludes indiscriminate target practice. However, I do agree with you.

If you're just wanting to shoot it, then you need to go to some other set of woods besides a WMA

Just Googled some TWRA ranges across the state. TWRA ranges are at the bottom of the page.

Tennessee Gun Firing Ranges Archery Range Rifle Pistol Shooting

from the site:

TWRA Ranges

Bartlett

Hunter Education Center

Shelby County at 3200 Brother Blvd.

Bartlett, Tn 38133

Phone: 901-213-3124

Facilities include: 14 lane indoor range and large class room, Hunter education is taught there every month

Cheatham

WMA

Cheatham County South of Cumberland River, near Ashland City

Phone: 615-792-4510

Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol, Rifle, Muzzleloading, Archery-field points only

Catoosa

WMA

Cumberland & Morgan Counties, I-40 exits, Peavine, Genesis & Westel roads.

Phone: 931-456-2479

Facilities include: Peavine Checking Station and Genesis Checking Station. Open Apr. 1-Jan. 31, except during turkey hunts. Contact Jim Lane

Chuck Swan

WMA

Located in Union & Campbell counties, near Maynardville

Phone: 865-278-3248

Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol, Rifle, Muzzleloading (50 & 100 Yard Backstop Only)

Knoxville

John Sevier Hunter Education Center

2327 Rifle Range Road, Knoxville, TN 37918

Phone: 865-594-6279

Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol, Outdoor Rifle, Rifle Silhouette,

Pistol Silhouette, Trap, Skeet, Airgun

Prentice Cooper

WMA

Located in Marion County, on hwy 27, five miles east of Powell's Crossroads

Phone: 423-658-2518

Facilities include: 100, 50 & 25 yards, 4-5 tables at each distance, no restrooms, plenty of parking available. Rifles and handguns only. No shotguns. Open Thursdays through Mondays, daylight hours only. Contact Clint Smith. (423) 658-2518

Natchez Trace

Natchez Trace State Park

Located in Benton, Carroll & Henderson counties, off I-40, exit 116, near Wildersville

Phone: 731-968-5351

Facilities include: Regulation pistol range, archery range

North Cherokee

WMA

Located north of the Great Smokie Mountains National Park

Fee required, daylight hours only

Jacobs Creek: Denton Valley Road, Sullivan Co. 423-735-1500

Pond Mountain: Hwy 321, Carter Co. 423-735-1500

Scioto: Scioto Road, Unicoi Co. 423-735-1500

Bubbling Springs: Hwy 107, Cocke Co. 423-638-4109

Facilities include: Fee required, daylight hours only

Royal Blue

WMA

Located Campbell & Scott counties 35 miles north of Knoxville

Phone: 423-566-8557

Facilities include: Outdoor pistol, rifle, muzzleloader, shotgun, and airgun. Three ranges available; 50, 100, 150 yards. Concrete shooting tables with overhead cover . Free to use, but the ranges must be kept litter free and all posted regulations must be obeyed. Name and address must be written on all targets before hanging them, so bring a writing utensil.

Stones River Hunter Education Center (Hobson Pike Range)

TnOutdoorsmen Website for SRHEC

TWRA Website for SRHEC

Located in Davidson County at Hobson Pike & Percy Priest Lake

2618 Hobson Pike, Antioch, TN 37013

Phone: 615-641-8896

Facilities include: 50-foot range (30 positions), 50-yard range (20 positions), 100-yard range (18 positions including 2 positions wheelchair accessible), 10-50 yard archery sight-in range and a 10-80 yard archery walk-thru range

Jamestown

York Institute High School

Located in Jamestown, School office

Phone: 931-879-8101

Facilities include: Need Info