reloading with federal primers

Guest mudduck

Guest mudduck

why does everything i read say not to use federal primers in my lee pro1000 and my lee auto primer,any help will be great,i have the primers and am ready to load i just want to make sure whats up with them.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That warning is listed because Federal primers usually have the softest cups of any make, and the Lee designs don't have any mechanism to keep primers seperate from each other when priming.

They say that in some situations primers may get in there at a weird angle, thereby leading to improper seating and possible detonation, leading to a chain reaction because the primers are so close.

Honestly, I use Federal primers with my handheld Lee primer tool all the time. I go slowly and don't use much force. Every now and then I do get one that goes in sideways, and the only way to get it out is to either try to stick something down the case and push it out, or just continue seating the primer until you can pull the shell from the case holder. I do the latter, but when I know I have a hangup, I empty the rest of the primers from the tool before fixing the situation. I also make sure to point it in a safe direction. I have never had one detonate so far. :dirty:

This problem occurs every now and then in the Lee tool regardless of brand and primer size. It's probably happened to me 15 times in 4 years.

Sorry if this is unclear. I'm typing this up on my blackberry in the middle of my sis-in-law's HS graduation. Happy loading!

Guest Mugster

Like the other guys said, they are supposedly pretty soft. I've never used them and don't have any so I don't know how soft they really are. I have enough shelf stock to pull me through these lean times. Hopefully.

I've used thousands of Federal Primers in my Lee Auto Primer (handheld tool) with no problems. I much prefer the Auto Prime for any of my single stage press work!

Like musicman said, they are the softest, but I prefer them for my revolver loads.

Good on you for finding some of them! :D

I have always used CCI primers in my Lee Pro1000 but have been forced to use Federal lately. I have slowed down and been more deliberate in seating them. So far no problems through about 900 rounds. I'll be switching back the first chance I get but for now I've got my fingers crossed everything continues to go well.

Guest Crunchman

I've been using Federal primers since I started out with a Lee Anniversary kit, back more years than I care to count. I've never had a problem, except the same as Musicman with the occasional crooked primer and that occurs with any brand. The warning is typical legal CYA because at some time and place, some thing did happen. Just be careful and deliberate and always keep the casing mouth pointed away from you.

Guest mudduck

that sounds good to me,i loaded some last night and everything was fine,i just did as yall said,went slower to make sure everything was fine ,i primed them wit hmy lee auto primer,thanks for the info,its all helpful

i have loaded about 3k rounds using federal primers and had no problems. like others have said, CYA mumbo jumbo. take your time and things should be find.

"the writer of this article in no way assumes responsibility for improper use of federal primers. taking the advise of the writer in no way makes the writer responsible for harm or injury. please note this is just an "opinion" and the writer will not be held liable for damages.":rolleyes:

Guest MERRILL

In my pistol, Federal primers tend to crater worse than others I have used. I use the Lee hand primer and have never had a problem as far as discharge is concerned, but, I clean the primer pockets with a graphite pencil. The graphite helps them go in easier.