Issue with JHP in M&P.40

Motasyco

I have a S&W M&P.40. I've put probably three hundred rounds through it. It's comfortable, accurate, and I've been really happy with it. Recently I've had it loaded, by the bedside at night, with Georgia Arms JHP. I'll chamber a round at lights out and eject it in the morning before it goes in the safe for the day. (My regular carry is pocket size) I've had two rounds where the bullet has compressed into casing. I believe this is happening while chambering the round. Should I blame the ammo or do I need to do some polishing on the ramp? Maybe both? I'm looking for suggestions? I have a lot of respect for the knowledge base here and would value any input.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any gun chambered in 40S&W is going to do that. Stop recycling rounds and throw those 2 away, the chamber pressure can destory the gun and your hand.

I'll cycle a round about 10 to 12 times and then I either shoot it or throw it away (unless I see signs of "setback" before then, then I will just pitch it.

Great advice! Do you just through the damaged rounds in the trash? What's the best (safest) way to dispose of them?

I just chuck 'em.

If you want to make them really safe, pull the bullet with pliers and dump the powder.

- OS

Why not just leave it loaded all the time? Dispose of the bullets periodically by pulling the trigger at the range.

That would be my preference. Unfortunately I have to drive over an hour to a range. I see you're in Jeff City. You know anywhere closer than Sevierville to shoot? I was debating going to Tri Cities Gun Depot or Coal Creek Armory today, decided on Coal Creek because of the range, checked their web site for hours (at about 2:30) and found that they close the range at 4 on Saturdays for carry class qualifications. Foiled again. A group of us between Knoxville and Tri Cities need to get together, lease some property, and start a gun club so we have a place nearby to shoot.

That would be my preference. Unfortunately I have to drive over an hour to a range. I see you're in Jeff City. You know anywhere closer than Sevierville to shoot? I was debating going to Tri Cities Gun Depot or Coal Creek Armory today, decided on Coal Creek because of the range, checked their web site for hours (at about 2:30) and found that they close the range at 4 on Saturdays for carry class qualifications. Foiled again. A group of us between Knoxville and Tri Cities need to get together, lease some property, and start a gun club so we have a place nearby to shoot.

There is an outdoor range in Norris and one in Knoxville.

We're also having a shoot next Saturday.....

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/events-gatherings/21534-east-tn-june-shoot.html

Edited by Garufa

I'm hoping to make it to the East TN June Shoot next Saturday. It'll be a bit of a drive from Morristown but sounds like it will be worth it. Hope to be able to fire off some of those rounds the indoor ranges don't allow. Still, it would be great to have a place "right around the corner".