Carters in Chattanooga

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be moving down that way in the not-to-distant future, so I guess I better ask. (putting on Flack Jacket and Steel Pot) Who's Ray Carter, and why is dealing with him a problem?

TK47

I would really, really like to give my business to a local gun dealer...really

The only problem is that my choices are as follows...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hal - Ammo Dump

Ray - Carters

Carl - Sportsman in Hixson

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will not stoop to character sniping as they are rather decent working folk, but these shops are a case-study on how NOT to run a business. They exist simply because of the exclusivity of owning a 01-FFL...that is all they have going for them at 100% markup over the price you can get delivered via MidwayUSA.

It is truly embarrassing how bad gun shops are here in Chattanooga.

The one sole exception is Skip's in Ooletwah...them good people and won't treat you like a stupid, unpatriotic fool for not buying stuff from them.

Guest Spuds

Ammo Dump has a new owner, and I've heard Hal will be gone once the new owner's FFL is approved or a short time thereafter.

Guest joeharris
Ammo Dump has a new owner, and I've heard Hal will be gone once the new owner's FFL is approved or a short time thereafter.

I wonder if anything will change, the few times i went there had problems looking at guns, due to 3-4 Old-Timers sitting around shooting the breeze.

He always has a extr. limited and exp. selection.

But maybe it will be better!

I wish Darr's or Classic Pawn would re-open!

Guest Spuds

I saw Jerry Cook in Marietta and chatted with him for a while. I asked him when his new gun shop would be opening. "Never" was his response. :)

Guest joeharris

So basically, as in the last 2 yrs. the only Store around Chatt. is VOW in Cleveland, but a lot of folks hate Warren, however in general the do have the best or really only selectiom of Milsurps.

I had always gotten very good prices, but did get upset with Warren 2 weeks ago in Knox. my kid Brother was in town and had been wanting a new Sig Classic, Warren had 1 marked at $1899. i introduced my brother to Warren and asked him for his best OTD on the gun, he said $1850. that will save you over $200.

Well a dealer 1 row over sold my brother the same gun for $1700. OTD, the following week saw Warren at the E Ridge show and he was somewhat ashamed and said, i would have also sold it to your Brother for $1700, i said then why in the heck didnt you?

I hope the show in Clev. at the end of June will be good, last 1 there was very nice!

Still looking for a mint CZ-82, exc.+ VZ 52/57 and another mint Yugo M-57 pistol!;)

PS. Spuds, have you been in the Red Bank Army Surplus lately? I havent been there in about 10 yrs. Do they sell any guns there, i just cant remember.

Thanks

GT distributors is not actually in TN but the back of their building touches TN.

They are by far the best to deal with in the Chattanooga area. They are willing to order something if they don't have it in stock. When they do order stuff it comes in really quick too.

The only down side is you cant buy Glock, Springfield, or Sig from them. They are military or LE only on these items. You don't have to be active military to buy just as long as you can prove through ID or paperwork you were in the military.

It also seems like most of the Class 3 dealers in TN as a whole are A$$es as well. I guess when you have the market on something you can treat people like crap?

I would really, really like to give my business to a local gun dealer...really

The only problem is that my choices are as follows...

Hal - Ammo Dump

Ray - Carters

Carl - Sportsman in Hixson

I will not stoop to character sniping as they are rather decent working folk, but these shops are a case-study on how NOT to run a business. They exist simply because of the exclusivity of owning a 01-FFL...that is all they have going for them at 100% markup over the price you can get delivered via MidwayUSA.

It is truly embarrassing how bad gun shops are here in Chattanooga.

The one sole exception is Skip's in Ooletwah...them good people and won't treat you like a stupid, unpatriotic fool for not buying stuff from them.

I agree with Skip's as well. Also, have you tried Steve from Silvers Firearms? He's out a little ways past Cleveland.

I have purchased several guns from Carter, and always been well treated. He has a good selection, and fair prices. I DO miss Darr's though, as it was closer to home, and he had some mil-surps out that I could handle to my heart's content.

I don't know about VOW in Cleveland now, but they were great when Dan owned the shop. As a matter of fact, I drove the miles from Signal just to do business with 'em, including 7 firearms, and had 2 parkerized. I would imagine they would want to keep that reputation. Skip's is cool as well. He ffl'd a Blackhawk for my Father-in-law. Don't know that he has his shop open now?

Guest 45AUTO

skips is about the best place to buy around chatt.. he sometimes post on here also. you can find him on the web under skipsfirearms.com

I have purchased several guns from Carter, and always been well treated. He has a good selection, and fair prices. I DO miss Darr's though, as it was closer to home, and he had some mil-surps out that I could handle to my heart's content.

I agree with Mousegunner. I've made 2 pistol purchases from Carters and was well treated both times. He even gave me a free range membership with the first one.

Darrs was always smokey, and didn't want to give much in trade, but did have a lot of good stuff. I have to admit I've started ordering everything from primers to holsters or whatever, from Midway. It just got to where it was cheaper, a better selection, and quick delivery. That's probably one of the reasons Darr & others go out of business.

Cherokee Slim

Guest TurboniumOxide

I bought my Glock and my S&W M&P15 from Carters. They seem to be good guys there, and the price was right on both weapons.

I buy a lot of consumables from VOW, and they always have ammo. They have a nice selection of rail and scope mounts. They have a nice selection of handguns and are the only place I have seen holo sights just in the glass case. I drive by there on my way to/from work everyday. I need to drop in there and see what they would charge to refinish my S&W 10-5

Guest joeharris

I have never bought a gun at Carters, usually some clean. supplies, but they always are very nice and many times Carter himself has been more than helpful on some questions about diff. guns, the prices are not that bad on the guns i have looked at compared to other places.

They have always been super nice to me!

Skip's is the best there is anywhere, but he now has a shop which mainly handles transfers and has done 3 for me recently, i do wish they would open a full size store again!

I agree with Mousegunner. I've made 2 pistol purchases from Carters and was well treated both times. He even gave me a free range membership with the first one.

Darrs was always smokey, and didn't want to give much in trade, but did have a lot of good stuff. I have to admit I've started ordering everything from primers to holsters or whatever, from Midway. It just got to where it was cheaper, a better selection, and quick delivery. That's probably one of the reasons Darr & others go out of business.

Cherokee Slim

On the contrary I found Darrs to be very fair on trades.True you would not get as much as you would from an individual but that is the case in anything,guns,cars,etc.I've known Darr since he and Hal Shaw had a shop together on Dodson Ave and he was ready to retire anyway but I venture he still wishes he had stayed open a while longer what with the hysteria going on.

Edited by et45

I live in Ooltewah about 10 minutes from Carters and will not shop there ever again. That guys attitude is piss poor at best. I went in with the intention of buying 2 glock mags. I guess it was a huge undertaking for him to be bothered getting up off his a$$ for a measly $60 sale. Then his remark "Is that all you want?". As a new resident to the area and potential new customer I was disguested and walked out. For some reason the gun shops around here feel that we as customers owe them something or we're all idiots.

On a brighter note after reading on here about other gun shops (Hero-Gear) I decided to go for a little drive to Winchester (Hero-Gear). I walked in everybody in the store (Hero-Gear) said hello. They were super helpful but not in a pushy way. I walked outta there with my first 1911 a Dan Wesson CBOB and several other goodies. Went back for their pre inventory sale and left with 2 SBR uppers. I will GLADLY drive an hour to spend my money where it is appreciated and where customers are dealt with respect.

Oh, the name of the shop is Hero-Gear. Not a bad drive from Chattanooga.

• 7 months later...

there is a little mom and pop shop in Rhea County called South Rhea Sales, They have a great selection nd will order anything you need. Extremely nice older people. Also Silvers Firearms (silversfirearms.com) in old fort is excellent. He was ordering things for me when all others kept saying, "Tht's hard to get"