Iphone 3Gs

I think....I may be wrong.....but I think that is and $18 upgrade fee + the cost of the phone with a new contract, whiche would be:

$18 + $99 for 8gb Iphone 3g

$18 +$199 for 16gb Iphone 3GS (available June 19th)

$18 +$299 for 32gb Iphone 3GS (available June 19th)

That's a pretty ****ty upgrade then. I thought it was $18 and you turn in your phone, which they will resell as a refurbished phone. I'll do some checking.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My age is showing. I can't think of anything I need a cell phone for other than to make a call. And that would be rare. Fat chance of me answering it. Unless it's my wife, I don't need that trouble. I've never sent or received a text. Heck, if I have a phone in my hand I'll just call. I have a digital camera that doesn't make calls. I figure my phone doesn't need to take pictures.

My age is showing. I can't think of anything I need a cell phone for other than to make a call. And that would be rare. Fat chance of me answering it. Unless it's my wife, I don't need that trouble. I've never sent or received a text. Heck, if I have a phone in my hand I'll just call. I have a digital camera that doesn't make calls. I figure my phone doesn't need to take pictures.

As a small business owner, mating an iPhone with IMAP mail, along with syncing to iCal and Address Book makes it an invaluable tool - I can basically run my business from anywhere at any time.

It's really an amazing device.

As a small business owner, mating an iPhone with IMAP mail, along with syncing to iCal and Address Book makes it an invaluable tool - I can basically run my business from anywhere at any time.

It's really an amazing device.

I have no idea what you just said. And I thought businesses that you run from your phone were the illegal kind.

I have no idea what you just said. And I thought businesses that you run from your phone were the illegal kind.

C'mon now..... you are successfully using this inter-web thing, so don't be playing like that. :-x

I got a friend who is in his mid forties who refuses to get on TGO, because hew said, and I quote, "If I want to talk guns, I'll go to a gun shop.".....

It is improving on an already successful item.

Heck my brother in-law has no cell phone, but he still carries a pager. LOL

Edited by memphismason

I'm in a real debate with myself right now. My Sprint contract is due to end in the next couple months, and I'm trying to choose between the iPhone with AT&T and the new Palm Pre from Sprint.

I've been with Sprint/Nextel for years, and I honestly have no issues with their service. I NEVER have problems. I currently have the Simply Everything plan with Sprint. My total bill is $111.XX every month. I have unlimited everything. Minutes, data, text, everything is unlimited.

I recently contacted AT&T about their rates for the iPhone, and they told me that my total bill would closer to $160-$170 for a similar plan. Not sure the iphone is really worth all that.

As of now, after taking some time to compare the iPhone vs the Palm Pre, I like the Pre slightly better. I really like the idea of the Linux-based operating system, "webOS". The QWERTY keyboard is a big plus with me also. Of course, running multiple applications simultaneously is also great. The Pre's webOS is also designed to integrate all your web data from multiple sources into a single interface without being synched.

No ability to record video is a real disappointment.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest db99wj

I was disappointed when the Pre and Palms started moving over to Sprint. After reading up a little on the Pre, I can see why they "moved" to Sprint, I'm sure the conversation went something like this:

Apple: Hey, ATT, dump Palm

ATT: But....

Apple: Shut up, dump palm or we are pulling the Iphone

ATT: Yes sir......Hey, Palm, we need to talk..

Actually, Apple tried to get a bunch of carriers involved in carrying the iPhone but only AT&T was willing to do the infrastructure upgrades necessary for the phone. An insider told me there was a period where the release of the iPhone was in doubt as no carriers were willing to spend the dough.

In Europe, tons of carriers did what was necessary so you have a choice of which carrier to use - when it comes to mobile phones, our carriers here in the States are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy behind the curve compared to most of the rest of the world...

Guest db99wj
Actually, Apple tried to get a bunch of carriers involved in carrying the iPhone but only AT&T was willing to do the infrastructure upgrades necessary for the phone. An insider told me there was a period where the release of the iPhone was in doubt as no carriers were willing to spend the dough.

In Europe, tons of carriers did what was necessary so you have a choice of which carrier to use - when it comes to mobile phones, our carriers here in the States are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy behind the curve compared to most of the rest of the world...

I have heard that, on the US being way behind. Interesting stuff.

I don't know the details, but with working for Dell I know some of how Apple does business, (as well as Dell). I doubt that it was as your posts suggests in that Verizon just didn't want to carry the phone. Verizon probably didn't want to pay Apple what they wanted for the privledge to carry Apple's phone.

Guest illumina

yeah, I'm fairly certain apple had some ridiculous terms for the contract. Such. as revenue on all of the actual cell phone subscriptions instead of just the phone. Verizon is still probably kicking themselves though, and the president of Verizon even recently stated that perhaps with the introduction of 4g, we will see iPhone on verizon

yeah, I'm fairly certain apple had some ridiculous terms for the contract. Such. as revenue on all of the actual cell phone subscriptions instead of just the phone. Verizon is still probably kicking themselves though, and the president of Verizon even recently stated that perhaps with the introduction of 4g, we will see iPhone on verizon

I hope so. I have the Blackberry Storm right now - which I like - but I'd like to have the apps the Iphone has. One is a ballistics table app. That'd be cool.

I don't know the details, but with working for Dell I know some of how Apple does business, (as well as Dell). I doubt that it was as your posts suggests in that Verizon just didn't want to carry the phone. Verizon probably didn't want to pay Apple what they wanted for the privledge to carry Apple's phone.

Steve Jobs was interviewed regarding AT&T's exclusivity and said outright that no other company wanted to do the infrastructure upgrades Apple required (as no other phone required those upgrades).

I guess you can assume what you want, but based on what was required for visual voice mail and such, only AT&T was willing to make it happen - and that after much debate from what I've heard.

I sold cell phones several years ago. The infrastructure is shared by the carriers based off of industry standards. If they each had different protocols, your Verizon phone wouldn't work on the AT&T network, or your Sprint phone wouldn't work on an Alcotel (SP?) network, for example. There is a butt-load of corporate sniping going on out there, and it always seems to come down to money. Verizon wouldn't pay whereas AT&T did. I ask, how many more phones would Apple sell if they'd reached a compromise with the other companies?

*deleted*

No need for me to be a jerk, sorry.

Everything I stated above comes from the companies involved and Lord knows those folks will tell you whatever sounds best...

Cheers,

Edited by crimsonaudio
um. they have two distinct types of cell service nowadays. a few providers use one along with most european/worldwide services. the others use one we have here.

True, CDMA and GSM, (I think that I have my terms right for it has been a few years), are both used - with the former used in the US and the latter used in European networks. Some phone, even back when I sold them, had both so your phone would work in Europe too, but CDMA was what was used in the USA where we are talking about.

But things can and do change. I stand by Apple not being too smart.