Memphis Storm Damage June 12,2009

Pretty bad storm cut through North Memphis today. Here's some of the damage. The pics are blurry because they are from my phone and it was still windy and raining, but the tree limb that I'm standing next to almost landed on me.

It destroyed our security gate while I was trying to reset it to let people through. I got out of the way about 5 seconds before it hit the gate and tore it down. Good times! The first pic is a limb that was driven into the ground about 8 inches down.

unknown-1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

unknown3.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent! One of the biggest things I miss about Memphis is the storms. They are tremendous. :D

I like weather! My dumb-az usually goes outside when that stuff happens. :)

I didn't WANT to be outside, but I didn't have a choice. I'm a weather nut myself, but I know when to say when. The wind was probably 70 miles an hour and the rain was stinging my face and legs.

Guest SUNTZU
but the tree limb that I'm standing next to almost landed on me.

I will bend like a reed in the wind.

Or,

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

I probably would of crapped my pants except that I wouldn't be standing near a tree or outside in a bad thunderstorm. I'm not Garufa.

Or,

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

I will face my fear.

Only I will remain.

I probably would of crapped my pants except that I wouldn't be standing near a tree or outside in a bad thunderstorm. I'm not Garufa.

There wasn't even time to be afraid. I heard a crack, looked up and over, and dove lol

I am sitting here reading tgo on my iphone with the glow of candles and my Dewalt 18v light. After seeing all the power outages around town it looks like it is going to be a long weekend without power.

I'd say come here, but yea...full house lol We were lucky at the house. not so up at work.

Or,

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

I will face my fear.

Only I will remain.

Okay Muad'dib, lay off the spice, you be tripping!

Guest Halfpint

Lost power at the shop right at closing time, it came back on for me to set the alarm though. No power at the house, so I crashed at Tink's--had planned on that anyway, so no biggie. A lot of street lights out, a lot of power out in Bartlett area, but a neighbor called last night about 11:30 to say we got power back on. Biggest thing I really saw was the Hollywood-20 movie theatre sign was blown over.

At least now Tink doesn't ask me why I keep my backpack with me at all times-- Surefire, bottled water, clothes, couple of loaded 1911 mags, IFAK, and other essentials. "Babe, I'm not paranoid or worried something is going to happen, this is my 'oh-sh*t bag,' " is something she understands now. :hat:

Yeah. Was pretty crazy. I was just leaving the cordova walmart when it hit there (ammo shelves pretty bare - no 9mm) :P Saw a few runaway carts on my way out of the parking lot. You would have thought they had sails on em... I don't remember ever seeing it that dark at that time of day. Needed ear plugs with that freaking siren right there across the street... Didn't see any significant damage first-hand, but did see several huge limbs like the one that was aparently targeting Punisher :hat: I could see that my power had been out, but was back up when i got home. Thankful for that :)

Yeah. Was pretty crazy. I was just leaving the cordova walmart when it hit there (ammo shelves pretty bare - no 9mm) :wall: Saw a few runaway carts on my way out of the parking lot. You would have thought they had sails on em... I don't remember ever seeing it that dark at that time of day. Needed ear plugs with that freaking siren right there across the street...

I saw the worst driving home. I was going down Walnut Grove (westbound) between Germantown Parkway and the AgCenter. After that, I was through the worst.

It's amazing how fast those carts will go with wind. :P

I was once sitting in the parking lot at Regions bank near that siren. When it first fired up, it sounded like a loud Harley coming up Germantown Parkway. Then the tone got higher pitched, and louder, and louder. A few seconds later, I realized was practically under it. LOL

Yeah. That thing is crazy loud when you are that close. I'm in the apartments right by it too :wall:

Just went out to Range USA. Been looking forward to "shotgun night" for days :P .....They're closed :cry: Sign on the door said it was due to a power outage.... Swung by the bartlett walmart and scored some 9mm though. They had more wwb than would fit on the shelf, and quite a bit of blazer brass too.

Guest pjblurton

Yep, got us pretty good. Lost power for about 24 hours. Tree fell on the house. I've got two baseball sized holes in the roof. I can't find any structural damage anywhere.

Anyone do any roofing in the Memphis area?

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00917.jpg