Red Bank Plans To Ban Guns in Restaurants And Parks

Guest slothful1

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if these people are running for re-election they tout the poles. why then dont they look at the poles that are out there for and against park carry? i have only found one that was against park carry and it was close. the rest have been for and landslides.

6/16/2009 - Red Bank Plans To Ban Guns in Restaurants And Parks - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

Anyway, I live in Red Bank... don't know if anybody has brought the state preemption law to their attention yet.

You might want to take a look at the TN Attorney General's opinion on this. It was posted yesterday (Ithink). It basically said that the local governments couldn't do this kind of stuff.

Hope this helps.

LEROY

Guest Spuds
“There is such a thing as road rage, that does boil over to such a thing as bar rage,†Mayor Glasscock said.

Mayor Glasscock needs to be introduced to voter rage come next election. Express your rage at the ballot box.

Guest slothful1

The commission doesn't meet again until July 7, so I decided to e-mail them. here's what I came up with:

-----------------------------------------------------------

I came across the following article today:

6/16/2009 - Red Bank Plans To Ban Guns in Restaurants And Parks - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

It is poorly written and repeatedly conflates the separate 'restaurant carry' and 'guns in parks' statutes recently passed by the Tennessee legislature, so I acknowledge that it may present an inaccurate view of the city's intentions.

However, if Red Bank really does intend to prohibit Handgun Carry Permit holders from carrying in restaurants, you should be made aware of a state law expressly prohibiting local governments from regulating firearms. It is TCA 39-17-1314,found here:

Michie's Legal Resources

Furthermore, there is a recent opinion from Tennessee Attorney General Robert Cooper that concurs with my own understanding of the state preemption statute:

http://tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2009/OP/OP118.pdf

Incidentally, I do oppose any effort to prohibit firearms at city parks, but at least that prohibition is within the city's purview according to the 'opt-out' provision in the state law. No such opt-out is available for the restaurant carry law. Any municipal ordinance banning permit holders from carrying in restaurants after July 14 will be in violation of state law. This is why other municipalities have abandoned their ill-considered attempts to enact restrictions:

Nashville drops bid to keep guns out of bars - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather, and Sports |

Please pass this along to the city commissioners and/or other interested parties.

Respectfully,

(name / address)

Guest slothful1

Well, that was quick.

--------------------------------

Thank you for your e-mail. This item was not on the agenda for last night but was brought up specifically by the Mayor, so I had not done my homework on this issue nor had the City Attorney. Rest assured that Red Bank will comply with State Law and will look to follow any provisions allowed by the legislature when the items are presented again on our agenda at our July 7th meeting. Thank you for your input.

Chris Dorsey

City Manager

-----------------------------------

Sounds like it was proposed without anyone doing research...

Guest SomeGuy

I too am a Red Bank resident.

Red Bank, TN

Let us get in touch with them and make it very clear we don't support this.

Note: I have NO intention of telling them state law prohibits the regulation of restaurant carry. Let them step in it with both feet.

I have passed emails with Chris Dorsey in the past...despite the hubub going on in Red Bank...He is actually one of the good guys.

The mayor and most of the other ones are typical small town folk who feel entitled from time to time to call the shots themselves in spite of reality. The traffic cameras sending money to the general fund really left a sour taste in my mouth towards Red Bank...now that they seem to have gotten the meth labs and randomly burning apartment buildings taken care of.

Guest goomba

unfortunatly red bank is not the only one. Hamilton county and Chattanooga have passed resolutions to ban firearms in all Chattanooga/Hamilton County parks.

Guest Spuds

I drove through Red Bank Saturday, first time in years I drove down Dayton Blvd. I noticed the red light cameras and the signs saying the speed limit was photo enforced. It occurred to me the same folks that put up all the cameras and ran all the business out of Red Bank are the ones who will prohibit guns in the city parks. So why do they keep getting re-elected?

Guest SomeGuy
I drove through Red Bank Saturday, first time in years I drove down Dayton Blvd. I noticed the red light cameras and the signs saying the speed limit was photo enforced. It occurred to me the same folks that put up all the cameras and ran all the business out of Red Bank are the ones who will prohibit guns in the city parks. So why do they keep getting re-elected?

Old people don't care about those things. I remember in the last election Ruth Jeno went to old folks groups and would say things like "I feel in my heart we don't do enough for the elderly" or something similar to that. It seems all the old geezers in Red Bank care about is a caring government official, willing to do more for them. The cameras? It will keep those dang youngsters from causing problems. Speed limits? Too high for them anyway. Fewer businesses? It will keep the city quieter so they can feed birds in peace. The mentality for Red Bank has quickly became a community of people who like government watching and "helping" them.

Frankly, I would prefer benign neglect, which is why I am out of here soon.

only enter red bank when absolutely necessary.always go around if i can. trying to remember the last time i was there.

Heck...I live like 200 yards on the Chattanooga side of 37415. Still then I drive around that stupid little town if at all possible. Now that Darr's is gone there is no reason to visit there anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest m4coyote

I wish Mill & Mine were still on Signal Mountain Blvd. If it were not for them, I would never travel across the border into Red Bank.

Guest redbarron06
“Having a computer doesn’t make you a hacker,” he said. “Having a lighter doesn’t make you an arsonist. And having a gun doesn’t make you a killer.”

I like that quote.

• 2 weeks later...