Favorite Radio Talk Show?

Guest cowboy20th

Guest cowboy20th

Anybody have a favorite radio talk show they listen too? I get tired of some of the garbage that passes for music nowadays, and will flip on some good ole talk radio. I live in Nashville, the only one I found so far was Savage Nation, seems alright, haven't listened enough to form an opinion. I mostly listen at night now, but when school starts back up, I will be looking for a good morning show for the drive to the boro. And trying not to get stabbed while getting a parking spot at mtsu.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TackleberryTom

Dave is great!! Phil Valentine in the afternoons is great!! His is the only talk show that I've listened to that you can talk back to and get a response. I email him and sometimes he answers on the radio or w/ a reply email. Great show!!

Guest Bronker
Dave Ramsey!!!!!

Hard to beat Dave. My line-up is SportsZone 104.5 with Kevin Ingram, Mark Howard and Frank Wycheck til 9:00 or so. Then I pick up Dave around 1:00. Phil Valentine at 4:00. Can't hardly take Michael Savage. He's a bit over-the-top. He's accurate, and I mostly agree with him, but he has a vile undertone all of the time. That gets old.

Guest TackleberryTom
I'd have a hard time picking one over the other.

+1

I just get to listen to Phil more often. 99.7 is the awesome

Guest TackleberryTom
No political shows

I used to be the same way... until I started making more money, and started wondering what was happening with all the money that was being taken from me, was being used for. I was shocked, and pissed off. Now, I stay very informed (still po'd)and talk about it regularly with people that I meet. Those issues affect all of our daily and future lives. Having children and caring about their future forces me to be active in securing a future that will allow them to have the same freedoms that I have know to love. Talking and thinking about those issues is a daily affair, just as raising them is. I take those issues seriously and like to listen to those that do as well. I step down.... just my $0.005(after taxes)

when forced to listen to commercial radio in Knoxville I pretty much just keep the channel on 100.3. I like Neal Bortz, he is on 10 am to noon. He calls out whoever is screwing up, does not matter what political party they are from. I like his fair tax ideas a lot as well.

I can tolerate the local morning guy Hallerin Hill before Bortz, sometimes his topics are interesting. Sometimes he is a little too corny for me.

I will listen to Limbaugh after Bortz but usually end up turning the radio off. Limbaugh's ego is too big for me to handle. The guy really is full of himself.

Pretty much a pompous ass in my book. He hates everyone not like him.

All in all commercial radio in Knoxville blows.

Guest smittyb

I guess we have it pretty good over here. WTJS out of Jackson has a killer lineup. Mike Slater in the morning(local TN show), followed by Glenn Beck, then Rush, and then Hannity. We used to even get Oreilly before he quit radio. I really like Mike Slater, as he calls out issues in TN from both sides. He also actually listens to his callers, and sometimes they sway his opinion. Hell of a job for his first show.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

I used to listen to Dave Ramsey. I even followed his ideas and got completely debt free (except for the church/tithing part; I'm not the least bit religious). So props to Dave Ramsey for giving me common sense ideas to take control of my life.

Now I listen to Chris Vernon on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis. It's not "talk" radio, but Verno is hilarious I think.

Guest HexHead
I used to listen to Dave Ramsey. I even followed his ideas and got completely debt free (except for the church/tithing part; I'm not the least bit religious). So props to Dave Ramsey for giving me common sense ideas to take control of my life.

As a guy that was formerly bankrupt to the tune of about a million dollars, Dave's pretty good at giving advice to not do stupid things with money, and especially credit. I'll give him that.

But as someone that's been in the financial industry for the past 16 years, when it comes to insurance and investment advice, he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. First of all he's entirely unlicensed, so he can say anything. Second, he gives the same canned advice to everyone, regardless of their situation, when everyone's situation in real life is different.

What you have to understand about Dave's show, it's basically an informercial to sell books, tapes, videos and seminar attendance. To push his "endorsed" providers, basically sales operations that have paid him for the endorsement. More proof his show is just an informercial? Ever hear anyone actually get on the air with him that disagrees with anything he says? Anyone get on the air that challenges his assertions? Never happens.

Years ago, I actually heard him tell someone on the air that "God wants you to follow my plan." I was stunned.

I wont say he's a complete charlatan, because like I said, he does give good "common sense" advice about debt. I occasionally listen to him for a few minutes for the entertainment value and in the past couple of days, I could tell he still gets some calls from the most complete dumb asses I've ever heard. People can't really be this stupid.

One was this woman that got a letter from Canada saying she's won the lottery (don't you have to enter it first? :D) but needed to pay the taxes on the winnings before they'll send her the check. So she cleans out her checking account and sends $3100 to them and after it clears her bank, they send her a worthless check that she deposits and writes checks against. Then the bank tells her she owes them $5000.

The second was was this guy that got his driver's license suspended for something or another, drives like 45 miles each way to work. He was complaining all the local cops know him and his situation, so what should he do?

At least he didn't tell them to expect 12% return in a growth stock mutual fund. :screwy:

Edited by HexHead
Guest HexHead
I like the principles in the Dave Ramsey show, and follow them (expect the tithing thing), but I don't listen to any talk radio. None of them are balanced, and they promote the further polarization of America, in my opinion.

Two Americas, baby. It's coming. :D:death:

Oh yeah, I like Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity, but my favorite is John Gibson.

There's also a guy on Sirius at 8pm that has a gun show that's pretty good.

I also download Tom Gresham's show "Gun Talk" as podcasts.

Guest MayBoon
I will be looking for a good morning show for the drive to the boro.

5-9 Morning Edition

9-11 On Point

10-12 Diane Rehm (on HD only)

Neil Boortz, an attorney and libertarian, based out of Atlanta in the morning calls things as they are most times. Many stations around the country carry him.

Rush, of course, in the afternoon is pretty much right on more often than not.

Someone has to tell it like it is, not like the network news would have us believe.:D

oldogy

Guest HexHead

I will listen to Limbaugh after Bortz but usually end up turning the radio off. Limbaugh's ego is too big for me to handle. The guy really is full of himself.

Pretty much a pompous ass in my book. He hates everyone not like him.

The thing you have to keep in mind when you listen to Rush. The guy is an entertainer, period. Listen to him purely to be entertained and he's tolerable. :D

Two Americas, baby. It's coming. :D:death:

Let's just go with TN + TX and the other 48 can do their thing. I really hate the idea of including Arkansas, though it might be a convenient land bridge. And we might want to invite HI, since we'll need a place to vacation.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
As a guy that was formerly bankrupt to the tune of about a million dollars, Dave's pretty good at giving advice to not do stupid things with money, and especially credit. I'll give him that.

But as someone that's been in the financial industry for the past 16 years, when it comes to insurance and investment advice, he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. First of all he's entirely unlicensed, so he can say anything. Second, he gives the same canned advice to everyone, regardless of their situation, when everyone's situation in real life is different.

:D

I can't disagree with you at all. He does give everyone the same advice. And that is an issue. I guess I was smart enough to glean what part of his advice was right for me and what part wasn't. But the basic advice was right for me at the time that I was listening to him, which was when I graduated from college and had a lot of new money and debt.