I am a lucky man

Guest 3pugguy

Guest 3pugguy

During these times, I have been blessed/lucky/pick your adjective - to have and keep a job. On Monday, I got a call from my VP, asking about where I planned to be in a few months, couple of years, etc. He was very open and honest and asked me to be the same. So we talked about the company, what I was looking for, and why I came to the company a little over two years ago.

Without boring anyone who reads this any further, the reason he called was to offer me a promotion, that came (really surprisingly, as our company is REALLY tight on money) a generous raise. He said he had to get final approval, so I thought, sure, there is the rub (had to go thru the President and CEO) and if I hear anything by end of week, that will be quick for us.

Surprise of all surprises, by Wednesday mid-morning, he had called back to tell me my new salary, etc, because it was a done deal: already thru the big guys and signed by the VP of HR.

So I cannot find words to express how blessed/lucky I think am (OK, know that I am). And please know, I am not writing this to brag about this, but to make another point: three months ago, I had SERIOUS concerns about even having a job by the end of summer. We had gone thru some layoffs, budget cuts, salary freezes, no travel, etc. But I decided to stay the course with this company and see what happened, keep giving my best, and all the while keeping in mind tomorrow could be the day to get laid off (nice word for getting fired, in my opinion).

Then this happens, out of the blue...so I guess what I am trying to convey, beyond my deepest thanks for my good fortune, is we keep our options open, but always keep plugging along. Someone is watching su and I think someone (maybe God; I am not very religious in the strict sense, but believe in God and believe how I live my life will determine how I fare, now and later) is helping us whether we know it or not.

Sorry for the long, ramble, but as I sit here, I still cannot believe it. So, I am more determined than ever to try and be the guy my dogs think I am and show my company they bet on the right horse in this hard economy. I also want to help others, as best I can; to paraphrase Albert Einstein, if I have seen further, it was because of the big shoulders I stood upon.

Barry

(Still pinching myself to see if I am dreamin')

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Work hard, dedicate yourself to the folks and company that is paying your way in life and you will find yourself blessed.

For the rest that are still wondering why they are being kept down by the man, just because they are late a few times a week, miss work for sniffles, complain about having to work past 5 once in a while, this story is not for you.

Congratulations sir.

The 35 people your supporting with your taxes thank you as well.

Guest 3pugguy

I appreciate all the kind words, folks. And I told my wife if I shoud now get on a gripe session about work, she should give me a Jethro (like the guy on NCIS does to the team when they act like knuckleheads - the rap on the back of the noggin') because I have no reason nor room to gripe.

Enjoy your weekend and to all the Dads out there, Happy Father's Day.B)

Guest tdtennessee

congrats, my luck was just the opposite. i went in last night to work and left 10 minutes later because i was laid off.

• Administrator
Work hard, dedicate yourself to the folks and company that is paying your way in life and you will find yourself blessed.

Sadly that is not always the case. It is encouraging to read accounts such as the OP's where it is, but there have been a lot of really good employees given their pink slips the past few months after having dedicated a ton of time to the company that was paying their way in life.

Not to bring the tone of this thread down, but I think sometimes we tend to callously assume that an employee let go or laid off must have done something to deserve it instead of wondering why the company wasn't loyal to its employee.

Anyway... congrats to the OP. That's a great story. :D

Guest marine77

Congratulations! Things happen to people, sometimes we don't know why, but there is always something on the horizon, be it better or worse. But

the big thing is if it seems to be bad, don't let it get you down. Always

look for an alternative, use your brain, that's why god put it there. THINK!

I see too many younger people where i work whine and complain about

things at work, who have never had a really hard time or just getting out

of high school and getting that "good job".

I had SERIOUS concerns about even having a job by the end of summer. We had gone thru some layoffs, budget cuts, salary freezes, no travel, etc. But I decided to stay the course with this company and see what happened, keep giving my best, and all the while keeping in mind tomorrow could be the day to get laid off (nice word for getting fired, in my opinion).

Congratulations! That is good news and inspires a little hope. :D What you say above is pretty much on the money with what I've been going through since January except we've had paycuts instead of freezes. When two were cut in May, I had already convinced myself I was going to be cut. I had rehearsed in my mind how I would react and what I'd say (all controlled and kind!).

After the ax fell on the other two, I had the slightest feeling of contentment knowing I was chosen to be kept, but we all were so close for so many years, that feeling would almost instantly switch to feeling sick to my stomach. :(

I still try to gauge daily where the company is headed. I hope to hold on and find a reward eventually, but I am open to parting ways, too.

Guest 3pugguy

feel free to PM me. The lay off news if very sad and I felt for a few months I was on the edge - we were cutting pretty deep. I also have a couple of family members who have been out of work since January and numerous past friends have contacted me as their situation changed.

I have a pretty good background since retiring from the Navy in staffing and recruiting and would be more than happy to look over a resume, provide ideas for job searching, networking, etc. Getting work is hard, hard work in itself - when I was leaving the USN, I did not realize how hard it would be to land that first job (back in 2000).

As I originally posted, only God knows (and he ain't telling) why things happen like they do - but many good people are taking it on the chin now and it sucks, to put it bluntly.

I won't promise you I can turn a resume around quickly - might take a couple or three days - but I would look over anything if it would help and I do know agencies that place people - in both temporary, contract, and fulltime. The more people you can get working for you, the better. Also don't give up; sounds corny but it's true.

The offer stands to my fellow TGO members if I can help.

Barry

Guest 3pugguy
Congratulations! That is good news and inspires a little hope. :D What you say above is pretty much on the money with what I've been going through since January except we've had paycuts instead of freezes. When two were cut in May, I had already convinced myself I was going to be cut. I had rehearsed in my mind how I would react and what I'd say (all controlled and kind!).

After the ax fell on the other two, I had the slightest feeling of contentment knowing I was chosen to be kept, but we all were so close for so many years, that feeling would almost instantly switch to feeling sick to my stomach. :(

I still try to gauge daily where the company is headed. I hope to hold on and find a reward eventually, but I am open to parting ways, too.

I would not have turned down a great opportunity, but was not an active candidate. Figured I'd wait it out.

What is so danged hard on us as workers/employees is the not knowing and being in fear for our jobs. Some companies manage that better than others, but most don't seem to "get it" and the workers are stressed.

I sure hope it goes well for you! Hope springs eternal...

Really saddens me though when I see the job numbers. And I also see it from inside the industry, i.e. the number of candidates on the market.

Edited by 3pugguy
add