Any HAM's @ Field Day this year?

Guest ScottD

Guest ScottD

I just got back from our clubs field day. We logged somewhere in the neighborhood of 1600 contacts running as a 2A. The highlight of the weekend happened earlier today when I contacted VA3CSA aboard the ISS. It took 3 passes for us to finally get him. You could say, I was talking to extra-terrestrials. :rolleyes:

Anyone else participate in field day this year?

For those who have no clue what I am talking about, checkout the ARRL's website: ARRLWeb: Field Day Package

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScottD
I wish I could get into HAM, but I already have enough expensive hobbies.

$10 for the test and ~$100 for a 2 Meter handy-talkie (local comm) and you are on the air. Not too expensive. Just lay off the ammo for a month :rolleyes:

I wish I could get into HAM, but I already have enough expensive hobbies.

I just got my license a couple months ago. It's really as expensive as you want it to be. A couple hundred or 25k. Ham's will help you out too.

Guest c.a.s.

I was thinking about taking the test/course thing, actually, for quite a while now. I just never really get to it. I'll keep some out of my next paycheck for it.

It's quite an empowering feeling to be able to sit in your home and talk to someone in Europe or South America without any outside assistance, don't even need public electricity, just a car battery.

Of course this last sun spot cycle has been the pits. Can't hardly talk across the street.

That's part of the reason why I've recently decided to get out it. If any of you guys want to get started in HF I can set you up with the whole rig, antenna and everything for low $$ or a rifle or something.

K1ERD

Guest ScottD
It's quite an empowering feeling to be able to sit in your home and talk to someone in Europe or South America without any outside assistance, don't even need public electricity, just a car battery.

Of course this last sun spot cycle has been the pits. Can't hardly talk across the street.

That's part of the reason why I've recently decided to get out it. If any of you guys want to get started in HF I can set you up with the whole rig, antenna and everything for low $$ or a rifle or something.

K1ERD

The cycle is starting back up! I talked to Australia the other night, and have done 6 or 7 EU countries in the last week.

Guest ScottD

K1ERD

Also, if you are set on getting out of it, let me know what you have and what you want for it. I might be interested.

Guest SUNTZU

I've been wanting to do this for awhile. I am going after my license soon. What 2m do you recommend, spdowling? I can't afford the bigger, better gear. I just want to have comms.

Guest ScottD
I've been wanting to do this for awhile. I am going after my license soon. What 2m do you recommend, spdowling? I can't afford the bigger, better gear. I just want to have comms.

Take a look @ the Yaesu VX-170. It's been discontinued but you can find them used on QRZ.com and QTH.com for $100 all day long (sometimes less!).

I have the VX-170, along with 2 others. The VX-170 is a mono-band, meaning it will only work on 2m. A good 2m/70cm radio will usually run around $150 or so used. The neat thing about the 170 is it is waterproof up to 3 feet.

And if you notice me quoting used prices, it is because I buy all my stuff used. I have never bought a new radio. You will find that HAMs for the most part are anal about taking care of their equipment, so you usually don't have to worry about getting junk.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me via PM. I've been a general for about a year or so, and have had a ton of radios.

EDIT:

FYI You do not have to be a amateur op to own a radio. In fact, if you are wanting to get into it, I recommend you buy before you take the test. One reason is you can learn the SOP of repeaters by listening. The second reason is it forces you to take the test! Why own the equipment just to listen ;).

EDIT 2:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=206113&highlight=vx-170

The ad is about a month old, but he hasn't updated to say it has been sold. $110 Shipped.

KJ4CTS

Edited by ScottD
  • 3 months later...
Sure, what kind of questions do you have?

I'm not sure, I know from my little time doing search and rescue that it's something I want to get into. I guess I'm just curious to hear from someone that does it as hobby, what you enjoy about it.

Guest ScottD
I'm not sure, I know from my little time doing search and rescue that it's something I want to get into. I guess I'm just curious to hear from someone that does it as hobby, what you enjoy about it.

I'm a software developer by trade, and anything science related tends to suck me in.

I enjoy the experimentation side of HAM radio. I play with APRS (running a IGATE at the house right now). I like building antennas, and other small projects.

I enjoy working the world on a wire I have strung up in the back yard. I've talked to Australia and Russia, Canada and Mexico, quite a bit of EU, and all but 8 of the US States (have the hard ones, AK and HI).

I also enjoy challenging myself in the contests. I do it for fun, but it's nice to see where you stand in your section in the larger contests.

I've gotten into VHF weak signal work. I've worked up into Wisconsin on 2m (144mhz). It's a freak occurrence, but when it opens up, man its cool!

There is really something in it for everyone. It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. I've got a new (to me) radio which should be showing up tomorrow that sells new for around $1500. I traded for the unit from another HAM so no out of pocket expense.

If you have other questions about it, let me know. I see you are in Nashville and I'd be happy to hook up with you and show you some things and let you get on the air (it's legal for you to operate under my callsign if I am present).

Hope that helps!

73, Scott, KJ4CTS

Guest ScottD
What mode are you working? cw, psk, usb? or just fm and tropo?

Billy KE4PJR

SSB @ 100w. I have an 11 element beam up @ about 35 feet.

Old SSB rig was a Kenwood TS-700a driving a 10w in 90w out amp.

Tomorrow my TS-2000 should be showing up on the door step. 100w out the box.

Are you into 2m SSB?

Scott, KJ4CTS

SSB @ 100w. I have an 11 element beam up @ about 35 feet.

Old SSB rig was a Kenwood TS-700a driving a 10w in 90w out amp.

Tomorrow my TS-2000 should be showing up on the door step. 100w out the box.

Are you into 2m SSB?

Scott, KJ4CTS

I used to be, I have been fairly inactive for a while now, I got started for a few weeks when I upgraded to general but haven't even turned the rig on in probably 6 months. I have an Icom 706 mk IIg with a wire dipole for hf and a 13 element beam for 2 meter, and a 3 element beam for 6 meter.

Guest TackleberryTom

Cool, didn't know there were many local amateur operators in the area on here. I am often on 146.670 in Nashville. There is usually quite a bit of gun associated conversation on there. I know of a few tgo members that are hams. There is even a ham that works at Guns & Leather. Amateur radio will be the only comm left if the SHTF. It is a great tool when all hell breaks loose. Look forward to hearing ya'll sometime. KF4UEZ

Guest ScottD
Cool, didn't know there were many local amateur operators in the area on here. I am often on 146.670 in Nashville. There is usually quite a bit of gun associated conversation on there. I know of a few tgo members that are hams. There is even a ham that works at Guns & Leather. Amateur radio will be the only comm left if the SHTF. It is a great tool when all hell breaks loose. Look forward to hearing ya'll sometime. KF4UEZ

I'm 9 times out of 10 on the 145.230 linked system. Ceraldi on the boards here is also an amateur (the one who got me into it matter-of-fact).