Fourth of July Shoot 'em Up

I had a great time! Nice to meet billofrightsguy representin' Middle TN and shootin' with hkusp40cal.

If the grill wasn't heating up I would go back up there right now.

Mighty fine afternoon.

Here's what's left of our 100yd. 1/4" steel plate:

DSCN2127.jpg

The first guy when we got there, said that distance was actually EXACTLY 122 yards. So all that was even better shootin' that y'all thunk.

- OS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first guy when we got there, said that distance was actually EXACTLY 122 yards. So all that was even better shootin' that y'all thunk.

- OS

My ego was already inflated enough from my superb marksmanship, now my head is swelling even greater! :ugh:

You know I hit that plate about 10 times with my trusty old Smif & Western model 10(-13). From a highly steady rested postition. :screwy:

Man we had some good old American Fourth of July fun today.

There were about 6 of us I think. Guns making appearances were Mosin Nagant 91/30's, M44, Garand, M1 Carbine, AR's, and AK, a couple of .22's, a .308 pump gun and way to many handguns to list.

Targets were soda cans, golf balls, soda bottles, spray paint cans, steel plate, spinners, and as always paper. All the targets were totally destroyed. OS's spinner and Suntzu's spinners took an absolute beating. I really do not think there was anything left without holes in it.

Was nice meeting BoRfan and hkusp40cal. I think hkusp40 will become a regular at out get togethers. I turned BoR onto milsurps. He did awesome shooting my Mosin, Garand and M1 carbine. I hope he can make it back sometime and join us again.

I have to admit the Mosin Nagant 91/30 made a fine bottle rocket launcher aside from throwing massive amounts of lead and fire downrange.

you guys who found excuses to miss the shoot, well you missed out. It was a hoot and a half. Totally a great day and a great time had by all of us.

Can't wait to do it again!

Edited by Mike.357
My ego was already inflated enough from my superb marksmanship, now my head is swelling even greater! :ugh:

You know I hit that plate about 10 times with my trusty old Smif & Western model 10(-13). From a highly steady rested postition. :screwy:

I bask in the glow of your awesome awesomeness.

Seriously, though, you really DO seem to be a much better shot than well, ... me.

- OS

Yep, a mile or so along on Norris Freeway (441) from Norris, something runs across the road.

I thought briefly it was the biggest black standard poodle in the world.

It was, of course, a bear. Guessing a year old, pretty big already but skinny and ungainly. But it made quick work of crossing the road!

Really. Seriously. I kid you not.

- OS

I had a great time! Nice to meet billofrightsguy representin' Middle TN and shootin' with hkusp40cal.

If the grill wasn't heating up I would go back up there right now.

Mighty fine afternoon.

Here's what's left of our 100yd. 1/4" steel plate:

DSCN2127.jpg

That would like mighty nice in a frame. :ugh:

I bask in the glow of your awesome awesomeness.

Seriously, though, you really DO seem to be a much better shot than well, ... me.

- OS

Please, no pictures, hold your applause...Well OK, go ahead! :screwy:

I was on my game today. :ugh: Very satisfying.

Now the next umpteen times I go out to shoot will just be wasting ammo.:screwy:

Oh man, totally slipped my mind.

OhShoot and I had a real highlight of the day on our drive home.

We were on 441 about two miles north of the Knox County line and a ......

wait for it.....

Black bear ran across the road right in front of us. we both were like,. WHAT was that???? OS suggested is was the worlds largest poodle. LOL

But nope, it was an honest to goodness black bear. Icing on the cake as far as today went.

( crack me up Mac, we both posted right at the same time about our bear sighting)

Oh man, totally slipped my mind.

OhShoot and I had a real highlight of the day on our drive home.

We were on 441 about two miles north of the Knox County line and a ......

wait for it.....

Black bear ran across the road right in front of us. we both were like,. WHAT was that???? OS suggested is was the worlds largest poodle. LOL

But nope, it was an honest to goodness black bear. Icing on the cake as far as today went.

( crack me up Mac, we both posted right at the same time about our bear sighting)

That's cool. Bears rock.

I had a swell time.

I went extremely high end on a new scope for my mighty Plinkster, and fortunately it proved worthy of the $16.95. Eventually. After I had to shoot at something twenty yards away to find that it was only shooting about 2 feet high.

Good to see hkusp40cal again. Seems we must buy/sell something each time we meet now.

And great to meet BillOfRightsFan, all the way from NashVegas! Thanks for letting me shoot your sweet AR. By the way, he took some pix which should appear here after the weekend ... at least one should prove, um, interesting.

- OS

How do we reconcile the fact that several of us where shooting communist guns of oppression? And enjoying them!

I think we all offset that with enough M1, M1 carbine and AR fire. Not to mention Rugers, S&W's, SA pistols, etc.

When I shoot the 91/30 I pretend I am shooting at Nazi's.

When I shoot the Garand I pretend I am shooting at Nazi's

Them dang Nazi's are getting it from both barrels. :lol:

Anyway, rifles are clean and pistols are staring at me.

When I shoot the 91/30 I pretend I am shooting at Nazi's.

When I shoot the Garand I pretend I am shooting at Nazi's

Them dang Nazi's are getting it from both barrels. :lol:

Anyway, rifles are clean and pistols are staring at me.

True dat. Dang Nazi's! Been lookin' over my should for since '67. :lol:

Guest BillOfRightsFan

First off, many thanks to the Town of Norris, the Norris Watershed Association and the Norris PD for making the range open to visitors. While it is a bit of a challenge to find it is a wonderful range and the town of Norris is very pretty. I described it to friends as Mayberry, with an advanced nuclear weapons program. Population is 1200.

DSC02815.JPG

DSC02829.JPG

DSC02818.JPG

When I got to the range (via GPS/Map skills/luck) I said hello in my typical Northern Accent (I grew up in Boston) and I was given the typical Yankee Welcome in Tennessee:

DSC02886.JPG

With the pleasantries out of the way we got to serious work on the range. This included shooting a wide variety of historical and modern long arms as well as a wide variety of pistols and at least one shotgun.

My first order of business was to zero my holographic weapon site, iron site and get my gun ready for the day. I set up a high visibility target at 50 yards and shot three groups and made two adjustments. The second group was actually two groups as my "seat" was uncomfortable for shooting. My seat was in fact a bit of cut up log. It added to the rustic flair.

DSC02865.JPG

The advantages of having a proper rest position and bracing is evident in the the dispersion of the groups. I highly recommend finding proper and comfortable stances when shooting.

With my gun ready for accurate shooting we commenced to shoot a variety of targets out to a reported 125 yards. I think it was a bit further than that but I had no range finder to get a decent measurement.

Here is a group photo we took:

DSC02884.JPG

And here is a historic photo of the first Mosin-Nagant Rocket Propelled Grenade:

MOV02892.jpg

It was a fun time. I was glad to have made the trip and to have met some very interesting and lively people. I shot my Beretta Jaguar for the first time. It shot very nicely, with little recoil and few if any problems.

Here are the initial results of using the Mosin-Nagant Bottle Rockets on 1/4" plate steel:

DSC02872.JPG

The weather remained good - 75% with a lot of humidity. On the way back to Nashville that night I encountered some serious rain (like Day One of the Flood kinda rain). The celestial fireworks were amazing. Just past Cookville the storm was incredible. It added about 20-30 minutes to the trip as speeds had to be kept down for several parts of it.

I have more photos from the day for those who were there. Just contact me via PM, remind me who you are so I can align the screen name with the real name and I'll give you a link!

Thanks

great pics BoRFan! Real nice post too.

It is hard to believe that rocket actually penetrated the steel plate but then it was a great shot. You should post up the video of you shooting the Mosin Nagant.

It was a real pleasure meeting you. I totally enjoyed shooting your rifle, that sight is something else. I hope you can make it back to hang with us again someday.

It was a fun time. I was glad to have made the trip and to have met some very interesting and lively people. ..

That must have been after you left the range. :hat:

Hey, great report, thanks so much for posting!

Gonna PM you, see I can get the group pics in higher rez...

- OS

Guest SUNTZU

Thanks for posting the pictures! Mom made Mike and I wear the same shirt. I don't know why she cares so much about range days.