Price for used S&W 642

Guest Log

I am looking at a S&W model 642 ultra-lite .38 Special. It is used and is in good condition. It has the original grips (no lasers added) and the owner of the shop is asking $440 for it.

Is $440 a reasonable deal for this particular used gun or should I talk him down. I keep hearing conflicting estimates of the MSRP for a new model. On the S&W website it is $600. If that is the true price today, then I am getting a good deal, but if it can be found cheaper then I am not so sure.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

440.00 + tax/tics? Not exactly a great deal, but these little J frames are very popular and hold their value very well.

For comparison, we sell new 642s for $469.00 plus tax/tics

*I will add that I always recommend that your best deals are had when you find a friendly gunshop and develop a relationship with them.

Dealers get tired of the "I can find it 2 dollars cheaper 600 miles away, so I will come in and pick your brain for ideas and then buy it elsewhere" which we see all too often.

Find a dealer you like, built a relationship.

In the long run, you will get better deals, receive better customer service, and will be the recipient of "good customer" deals when they come around.

Edited by BimmerFreak
I'm buying it from a seemingly well known Nashville Jew. Does anyone know how he responds to haggling?

I dont know anything about his sales tactics, so if you are interested in purchasing that gun, my recommendation is to make an offer and see what he says.

The worst that can happen is that he say no.

GL with your search.

Guest eyebedam
440.00 + tax/tics? Not exactly a great deal, but these little J frames are very popular and hold their value very well.

For comparison, we sell new 642s for $469.00 plus tax/tics

*I will add that I always recommend that your best deals are had when you find a friendly gunshop and develop a relationship with them.

Dealers get tired of the "I can find it 2 dollars cheaper 600 miles away, so I will come in and pick your brain for ideas and then Fmbuy it elsewhere" which we see all too often.

In the long run, you will get better deals, receive better customer service, and will be the recipient of "good customer" deals when they come around.

+100,000,000.00. This is the best advice given in this site all day. I took me awhile to realize that. My spot is with Phil at Goodletsville Gun Shop. He always takes good care of me. I may stop in different gun shops at times to kill some time but when there something I really want I go to Phil. I've heard nothing but great things about Joe & Hero Gear but it's just a bit of a drive for me.

I believe that I am going to go ahead and buy it. The two fellows at Eastside were very helpful and low pressure when I went in to browse the other day. I didn't feel like they were selling me anything. I asked to look at this particular gun; I got my feeler gauges out to check the gap between the cylinder and barrel (which was in specification) and I began to visually check the alignment of the cylinder bores and the barrel at which point the clerk offered to let me use his equipment for checking such items. We checked it out and unless his equipment was rigged and this was some con that Bill uses on all of his customers I have no reason to believe that the gun is in any less than top condition.

I think you are right; it is important to find a shop that you can trust. And it might as well be this one because Winchester is too far away.

I am looking at a S&W model 642 ultra-lite .38 Special. It is used and is in good condition. It has the original grips (no lasers added) and the owner of the shop is asking $440 for it.

Is $440 a reasonable deal for this particular used gun or should I talk him down. I keep hearing conflicting estimates of the MSRP for a new model. On the S&W website it is $600. If that is the true price today, then I am getting a good deal, but if it can be found cheaper then I am not so sure.

I'm buying it from a seemingly well known Nashville Jew. Does anyone know how he responds to haggling?
I believe that I am going to go ahead and buy it. The two fellows at Eastside were very helpful and low pressure when I went in to browse the other day. I didn't feel like they were selling me anything. I asked to look at this particular gun; I got my feeler gauges out to check the gap between the cylinder and barrel (which was in specification) and I began to visually check the alignment of the cylinder bores and the barrel at which point the clerk offered to let me use his equipment for checking such items. We checked it out and unless his equipment was rigged and this was some con that Bill uses on all of his customers I have no reason to believe that the gun is in any less than top condition.

I think you are right; it is important to find a shop that you can trust. And it might as well be this one because Winchester is too far away.

Sounds like your questions were already answered well before you took the time to register here and contribute these 3 posts.

Nice job at the subliminal advertising for Bill. :tough: Im sure he will appreciate it.

Welcome to TGO, and enjoy your new 642. Sounds like you a good used on for close to the price of a brand new one.

(and NO. Winchester Isn't too far....which is proven every single day as people drive past the ghetto and many other shops on their way to Winchester)

I will add; I stand behind my original advice:

Dealers get tired of the "I can find it 2 dollars cheaper 600 miles away, so I will come in and pick your brain for ideas and then buy it elsewhere" which we see all too often.

So, if you have found a home East Nashville, thats great!

Build that relationship, and support your dealer!

• Administrator

Log, The Jew in question also operates a forum that would be a perfect place to go and promote his shop for him. I'll make it easy for you and give you no choice but to go there.

Tell him I said hello.