NEW SR9

Farman

Shot the new sr9 yesterday.

Very accurate out of the box, a big +1. Had a few stove pipes and failure to return to battery during the first 100 rds. Towards the 150 rd mark it seemed to be much better. So we're attributing the malfunctions to being new and tight, just like I read about when researching the gun before buying. Going out again Sunday, so we'll see.

I also shot the 6" King Cobra for the first time. Shot 38 spl. It was awesome :). It will go out on Sun. and have some 357 go down the pipe ;).

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a few stove pipes and failure to return to battery during the first 100 rds. Towards the 150 rd mark it seemed to be much better. So we're attributing the malfunctions to being new and tight, just like I read about when researching the gun before buying.

Had the same experience with my SR9. The more I shot it the better it got.

Purchased. Found it on line, through Gunbroker. Ended up being $440 with shipping, transfer and tic. My wife handled one and it fit well in her hand. She really likes it.

As a side note our friend brought his Beretta Storm yesterday and it is a great pistol as well. Great trigger out of the box. The grip was a little big for her, but felt good to me. Just what I needed to do was shoot another great gun:drool:.

We have a Beretta Cheetah and a (Beretta,Browning,FN) .380s and love them. The Cheetah is going to be my new EDC for a while. Then I'll go back to the other one. It's a Browning designed by Pietro, built by FN.

Guest Rugerman
I have the sub-compact version of the Beretta Storm, great little gun, really like carrying it.

Ruger needs to get to it and get the subcompact and compact SR9 out. :)

Guest Rugermike

I love mine. I perfer a pistol with a hammer, but I was suprised on how easy this pistol was to shoot. I have never had a failure of any kind. The only issue is a slightly stiff mag release, but i can deal with that. This pistol is also easy to conceal and carry every day.

The wife put another 100rds through it today. Only a couple of failures to return to battery. She's not real happy with the trigger or mag release but we'll keep shooting it. If it doesn't get better just shooting it we'll have to do some work on it.

PS. She's really happy with the accuracy.

Guest GimpyLeg

I've had my SR9 since March this year. ~1,000 rds down range. I love it. I did remove the mag disconnect, but I couldn't tell a big difference in the trigger. Recently received my Comp-Tac MTAC holster in anticipation of receiving my HCP (printed 6/9). I wore the rig around the house one day and it 'disappeared' after about thirty minutes. Didn't even know I was wearing it.

Guest Rugerman
The wife put another 100rds through it today. Only a couple of failures to return to battery. She's not real happy with the trigger or mag release but we'll keep shooting it. If it doesn't get better just shooting it we'll have to do some work on it.

PS. She's really happy with the accuracy.

Mag release really tight on it? After 200 rounds and still failures to return to battery? How wet or dry are you running it? What is the issue with the trigger? Heavy, gritty, inconsistent, all of the above? Done much dry firing with it?

The mag release is really tight. Not really a big deal right now.

Using a little slide lube on the rails and barrel. A drop of Rem oil on other moving parts. Trying to keep it lubed but not gum it up.

It seems there is a metal "wear pad" at the rear of the frame and the slide catches on it. The edges are really sharp, like they would be right out of the punch press. As are all the edges on the slide and frame.

Really have not dry fired it more than a few times. The trigger does not feel gritty to me. Trigger pull is just harder the some of our other pistols.

Over all she pretty much really likes it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was seriously considering buying an SR9 but ended up buying a Springfield XD(m) 9mm. 80-90% of the reviews of the SR9's thought that they were wonderful. The rest thought they were crap because of FTF and/or FTE. In a self defense gun, reliability is everything. Reviews of the XD and XD(m) were consistently positive re reliability.

• 1 year later...

Since this thread was revived, had a Ghost trigger connector installed. The trigger is smother, shorter and the reset is quicker. Have not had one shooting problem in the last couple of outings. The mag release still sucks big time. Going to pull it out and polish it up. If that doesn't help, I'll send it to Ruger.

Guest The Highlander

I liked the SR9 when I saw them in all black, I really liked them when I handled one, and I really loved them when I bought and shot mine!

Feels like a Commander-size 1911 with the flat mainspring housing in, and mine shoots like a laser. The safety and mag release were stiff out of the box, and loosened up with an evening handling, dry firing, and manupulating all the "buttons" and they are now just fine. We brag on custom pistols that arrive tight and need to loosen up, but then hammer a Ruger that exhibits the same behaviour. I don't get it.

I have around maybe 400-500 rounds through mine, of both ball and self-defense loads. The gun was dead-on with Speer Gold Dots out of the box so I have touched the adjustable sights. I have had exactly "0" problems in that number of rounds.

If I weren't gun poor at this point, I'd pick up a SR9c to go with it. Soon maybe!

The Highlander