Carry Suggestions - Not the gun, but where to put it...

I am looking for any and all suggestions for how to carry a subcompact, with the following details being important. I understand that it may not be practical or doable...so go to town, ladies and gents:

1. I'm fairly thin

2. I prefer my shirts to be tucked in

3. It is hot here, so jackets and vests are only a seasonal option

4. Pocket carry seems to be a difficult thing to do in jeans

So, what can I do? Is ankle carry really a practical solution?

Thanks, all.

FWIW, the main reason I'm interested in CCW is for the car, but why limit yourself?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for any and all suggestions for how to carry a subcompact, with the following details being important. I understand that it may not be practical or doable...so go to town, ladies and gents:

1. I'm fairly thin

Thanks, all.

FWIW, the main reason I'm interested in CCW is for the car, but why limit yourself?

I found myself in a pretty similar situation. Long story short, I wound up pocket carrying a 642. It's not a perfect solution, but I found it easier to conceal and draw than tucking a shirt over an IWB holster, and far more practical than ankle carry.

Unless you're limited by a work dress code, etc, I'd recommend you try a few different styles of shirts that you might be able to wear untucked. It really does make IWB carry easier.

Guest HexHead

How sub a sub-compact? Judging by your avatar I'm going to guess a Springfield EMP? Smart Carry could be an option, but a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II with the optional kydex clips will give you IWB hip carry and is tuckable. You can tuck your shirt in over the holster.

Haven't purchased yet...considering several models. My assumption is that the method of carry will be more an issue than the weapon itself...so far, I like the XD sc in 9, the G26, Beretta PX4, and haven't gotten around to checking out 1911 variants.

Guest grimel
Haven't purchased yet...considering several models. My assumption is that the method of carry will be more an issue than the weapon itself...so far, I like the XD sc in 9, the G26, Beretta PX4, and haven't gotten around to checking out 1911 variants.

The XDsc or G26 IWB tuckable crossdraw at 11ish. Sew your bottom button to the shirt with velcro under it. Hand splits the velcro, grabs blaster and exits.

Or same gun in Kramer undershirt.

Or (my choice) in a belly band (again, cross draw and same guns or a J frame) with a cheap Don Hume IWB sewn into the bellyband at my preferend draw angle. Completely tuckable with zero showing. Learn to rip the shirt out or use the button trick.

One option, if you go a little smaller and are okay with a slower draw, is a rear pocket holster. I carry my Rohrbaugh like that all the time. You can always do that with a Kahr PM9.

I live just north of you and would be glad to show you some options.

Guest 1shot

Have you ever heard the old saying "you can't have your cake and eat it too"? I had to have this same talk with my wife. If you are going to carry a gun concealed for your protection you are going to have to dress properly to do it. You can't wear tight fitting clothing and properly carry your weapon where you can access it in a SD situation. It has to be accessed right now in a SD situation. You don't have time to do the fancy pull your pant leg up while dropping down on your knees stuff or go trying to pull a revolver or compact auto out of a tight jean pocket or for the ladies hunt through your pocket book to find your pistol. Loose clothing is the only way. For hot weather wear a one size larger shirt, golf type or colored T-shirt etc. untucked. Carry IWB or with a good OWB high ride holster. I am 6'2" 205 LB with a 35 1/2" waste. I carry almost every day a full size Glock 17 in a Fobus paddle OWB holser with only a golf type or other shirt untucked with no problem. I have carried everything from a 1911 to a snub nose revolver this way for over 9 years with no problmes.

Edited by 1shot
Guest 3pugguy

1. I'm fairly thin

Thanks, all.

Some really good feedback from others and I agree there are options aplenty, plus you may have to find some middle ground, i.e. compromise somewhat on your dress if carry (concealed) is your goal.

I had always tucked in my shirts, but did not want to carry IWB (am looking at some options, though, for more flexibility) and thus go with a button up, square tail (meant to be worn out) shirt with a G19 in a Blackhawk paddle. Conceals well and very comfortable.

I think a common theme is you will likely try several holsters/methods to find what is just right.

While not skinny like you, I have a similar issue, I wear tucked in shirts because of the business I'm in and all day long I'm in and out of the car... I've been dressing like this since I was a teenager, I'm not going to change my mode of dress (and can't IMHO because of my business)... but I'm not going to allow myself to go unprotected...

So I tried all the fancy holsters that allow you to carry with your shirt tucked in, all were very uncomfortable sitting down or riding in a car (your mileage may very on this fact)... I'm sure for some people they work as intended but I found myself just not carrying because those holsters were so uncomfortable...

So, I started out with a simple IWB holster and just left my shirt tucked in, and it was reasonably comfortable, and very few people ever noticed I was carrying... but it was a pain to take on and off when I needed to go in somewhere and not be seen carrying (business which is posted, or for a business meeting where people might get the wrong impression)... So I slowly moved over to an OWB Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster with a belt adapter ($30 ish), and just carry open... I've found that people just don't notice me carrying and it's better to OC and have a gun than to CC and not... It's much easier to get on and off, and with the Level II retention I don't have to worry as much about somebody coming up and taking the pistol out of my holster...

But there are still those times I can't carry open, I carry a pocket pistol (Keltec 380 in my case) in my back pocket, with modern 'sticky' wallet style holsters pulling the gun out isn't as hard as many people think, plus again a 380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck when you need it.

My recommendation is don't change the way you dress to carry, because you'll find yourself leaving the gun at the house or in your car way too much... Try IWB carry, if it's comfortable go with that 95% of people out there will never notice you're carrying... If it's not comfortable wear OWB and just OC if need be, again most people won't notice, and while tons of people will make arguments against it, the truth is it's better to OC than leave the gun in the car any day of the week.

For those times you must CC find yourself a small pocket pistol (380 or 32 if you like autos) and wear it in a back pocket as a wallet, again a pocket pistol is better than nothing.

1. I'm fairly thin

Thanks, all.

Guest grimel

Here is a picture of the bellyband rig I described earlier (blatently stolen from the I stole the idea from, hey, if he's good for the idea he's good for the picture). The angle can be made what ever you choose, tucked with zero give aways and even worn under draw string shorts.

His is set up for a S&W 3019, you can put about any compact (single stacks obviously hide better). I find it easier to rip the shirt up and draw the closer to the front I wear the gun, so, I keep it between 10 and 2 (requires either cross draw cant or straight drop).

IWB_bellyband.jpg

Guest redbarron06

THough I am not thin I do like to have a short tucked in. Mostly because of years in the military and you wear your tshirt tucked in under the uniform top. I also dont like the idea of sweat and the gun rubbing up againt bare skin. My solution was a couple of packs of tank tops. I tuck the tank top in and then wear a loose fitting shirt on top of that. Keeps most of the sweat (remimber sweat has salts and that will speed corrosion) off of the gun and still conceal fairly well.

I wear Jeans and pocket carry a S&W 642. Two factors: (1) Forget trying to show off you "buns of iron" or whatever and wear the Relaxed Fit Cut. (Wranglers and Faded Glory both make them.) The legs are a lot more loose and the pockets are deeper. I wear the Carpenter Jeans but there are other styles. (2) Wear a loose light shirt over the top. (polo shirts, T-shirts and square cut cottonshirts do nicely.) I live in rural area (Macon County) and this is the normal style of dress anyways.

Edited by wjh2657

I just ordered a 5.11 Holster Shirt and the Covert Casual Shirt. I heard the holster shirt is sufficient for a smaller gun on the latest Handgun Podcast, Handgun Podcast. I am hoping it is like under armor and won't be too hot for summer. I should get it Wed. I will let you know how it works out if you are interested. I have to caveat this by saying these are not cheap and having one for every day of the week would be pretty expensive.

Holster Shirt | Concealed Carry | 5.11 Tactical

Covert Casual Shirt | Concealed Carry | 5.11 Tactical

1. I'm fairly thin

That sounds pretty much like me. I use a cheap IWB (Uncle Mike's) at 4 o'clock and tuck. With a small handgun, it's pretty much unnoticeable - though it may take a while for you to get past the feeling that everyone can tell.