parks carry bill....here is a suggestion.

Guest justme

Guest justme

Here is a suggestion--why not everyone be nice enough to write a well written letter to the state senator who included with the Senate parks carry bill the provision to allow cities and municipalities to "opt out" of park carry--the only thing this bill did was "legitimize" park carry in name only--the bans are still going to be in place--but the senator can say "well we gave you the ability to carry, it is the cities" who are prohibiting it now....

opt out was a major mistake--if they did not want to give the legitimate ability to carry in parks to permit holders in this state as well as to those who visit here from states with a permit recognized by Tn--then why bring the bill up at all...why not just let it remain illegal, instead of making it legal in name only...

so maybe a nice, well written thank you from everyone to the senator involved would show appreciation for the hypocrisy of it all.

just a suggestion.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the opt out not been in there for local parks, ALL local parks would still be off-limits, even if the local goverment wanted to allow carry.

Jackson, TN will allow carry in their parks, so far the city council where I live has not mentioned bringing it up.

So maybe not the blanket statewide local park carry that I admit would have been nice....come Sept 1 there will several more local parks that carry is legal in than there are today.

Also since cities and counties already have the ability to post other goverment owned property...city hall, courthouse and so on, you could say the ability to post their own parks is not much different.

I agree (as a frustrated Murfreesboroan), the bill as written was the best we could get this year. It now falls to us to organize and "dis-elect" those who deny us our rights at the local level. They should rue their votes but once, and that continually (with apologies to J.E.B. Stuart).

I was ready to scream last night when I attended the Hendersonville Safety council meeting. They were discussing whether or not to recommend opting out. One member on the board stated he was a baseball or football (dont recall the sport) coach. Then he said , "I support the 2A, but I see how mad these parents get at games. I would hate to have them packing heat."

I wanted to ask why he only partially supports the 2A. I also wanted to ask him what part of "Shall not be infringed" does he not understand? This was not the forum for open conversation and questions. This time will come later when the city council will vote to opt out of carry in parks.

One thing that was brought up had me wondering. Some lawyer mentioned that we can drive through parks with our firearms if we (permit holders) are picking up/dropping off our kids for an event, similar to school zones. He then stated we can leave our firearms in our vehicles while within the park. Is the "leave in the car" portion of his statement correct?

In any event, it was obvious they had made up their minds prior to the meeting. :D

One thing that was brought up had me wondering. Some lawyer mentioned that we can drive through parks with our firearms if we (permit holders) are picking up/dropping off our kids for an event, similar to school zones. He then stated we can leave our firearms in our vehicles while within the park. Is the "leave in the car" portion of his statement correct?

You can remain armed if you are just dropping off or picking up passengers in park, just like a school. But there is nothing in 39-17-1311 that says you can leave a handgun in a locked vehicle.

But at the same time I've not seen a lot of vehicle searches at the park either.

You can remain armed if you are just dropping off or picking up passengers in park, just like a school. But there is nothing in 39-17-1311 that says you can leave a handgun in a locked vehicle.

But at the same time I've not seen a lot of vehicle searches at the park either.

This precise issue arose during the Bristol Council discussion. Mr. Staton directed this question to the Bristol city attorney, who stated that the presence of a firearm in a locked vehicle in the parking lot of a local park would be considered to be in violation of the resolution Council was considering (if passed, which it did :P ). It was at that point that Mr. Staton shook his head and muttered "That's just wrong".

Interesting. That was the interpretation of a Hendersonville lawyer. I wish I had got his name.

Interesting. That was the interpretation of a Hendersonville lawyer. I wish I had got his name.

39-17-1311(:P(1) has a list of exemptions to the prohibition of firearms in parks. The new law added ...(I) and (J) to the list, but (G) is the one we are discussing here. It says...

(G) Also, only to the extent a person strictly conforms the person's behavior to the requirements of one (1) of the following classifications:

(i)
A person hunting during the lawful hunting season on lands owned by any municipality, county, state or instrumentality thereof and designated as open to hunting by law or by the appropriate official;

(ii)
A person possessing unloaded hunting weapons while transversing the grounds of any public recreational building or property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting with the intent to hunt on the public or private lands unless the public recreational building or property is posted prohibiting entry;

(iii)
A person possessing guns or knives when conducting or attending “gun and knife shows†when the program has been approved by the administrator of the recreational building or property;

(iv)
A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove any weapon from the vehicle or utilize it in any manner;

(v)
A person who possesses or carries a firearm for the purpose of sport or target shooting and sport or target shooting is permitted in the park or recreational area;

So 39-17-1311(:tough:(1)(G)(iv) has the entering and leaving part, but not in it or anywhere else does say about leaving it in a locked vehicle.

Guest PapaB

Our Legislators need to be reminded that the Tn Constitution states:

"That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime. "

They should be required to show evidence that any restrictions will prevent crime. This nonsense about turning into the wild west isn't evidence, it's ignorance.

39-17-1311(:P(1) has a list of exemptions to the prohibition of firearms in parks. The new law added ...(I) and (J) to the list, but (G) is the one we are discussing here. It says...

So 39-17-1311(:tough:(1)(G)(iv) has the entering and leaving part, but not in it or anywhere else does say about leaving it in a locked vehicle.

Thanks Fallguy. I wasn't familiar with all the details of this law.

Our Legislators need to be reminded that the Tn Constitution states:

"That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime. "

They should be required to show evidence that any restrictions will prevent crime. This nonsense about turning into the wild west isn't evidence, it's ignorance.

According to the police cheif of Hendersonville, NOTHING has happened in his parks that justifies the need for citizens to carry. So don't worry, Barney Fife and his band of merry men will protect you. [/frustration complete]

According to the police cheif of Hendersonville, NOTHING has happened in his parks that justifies the need for citizens to carry.

That is exactly the mindset, I would wager, of most of the people who have voted to "opt-out." The belief on the part of our politicians that citizens need to justify the exercise of rights is a cancer in this nation, a cancer which will likely eventually kill it. :sadwave:

The truth is that our nations parks are probably the second most dangerous places in America. Second only to the projects (another place where guns are banned).

The problem is that the "local" media has been engaged in a propaganda war during this legislative session. I use the word "local" in quotations because most of our media is owned by out-of-state entities with a firm desire to change our way of life. These carpetbaggers, as my grandparents would have called them, are firm 2nd Amendment haters but they're smart about it. They, like most liberals, gradually peck away at our freedoms. They don't try to take it all at once. They use phrases like "I'm a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment but..." or "We can all agree that..."

Unfortunately,many of our citzens are so uninformed that they buy these statements hook, line and sinker.

Here's where we come in. We have to be just as smart as the liberals. We have to be articulate and not come off as angry even if we feel that way. We have to understand that our coutry has gradually drifted to left over the course of decades and need to be just as patient as the liberals by bringing it back around gradually in baby steps. If we ask for too much, too quickly, we will be rejected and none of our hopes and dreams will be realized.

I agree with all the pro-gun laws that were passed this legislative session, but I'm concerned that maybe it was a little too fast and will ultimately cost me my freedoms. We are dealing with a citizenry that has become so used to being told that firearms are bad, that it sounds absurd to them that we are merely getting back the rights that were taken away by the NFA. Most of our people weren't alive when the NFA was originally passed and know no other way.

I'm rambling now but my point is that we, as firearm owners and conservatives, need to beat back the liberals at there own game. You catch more flies with honey...

The truth is that our nations parks are probably the second most dangerous places in America. Second only to the projects (another place where guns are banned).

Banned?

What "projects"?

What is banned?

Who banned whatever is banned?

- OS

Banned?

What "projects"?

What is banned?

Who banned whatever is banned?

I don't think I understand your post

What's not to understand?

You said guns are banned in projects.

I wanted to know what projects, where, and by whom?

- OS