Concealed or Open Carry

Which mode of carry do you prefer?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Which mode of carry do you prefer?

• Concealed Carry
    • Open Carry
    • Both depending on the situation

Guest GlocKingTN
I contend that it's a matter of whether you look like someone who should have a gun. People in suits never get a second look. People just assume you are honest if you are dressed professionally.

Remember that the next time you want to rob someone. :D

I agree... I have never seen a crook in a suit. Or is it, all crooks wear a suit? Its one or the other:D

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN
Stop it, really stop it, my side is hurting I'm laughing so hard!

My dog is looking at me funny, like I farted or something.

Now you got me going as well......:D:down:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jackdog

glockingTN, I believe that it would be the choice #2if you were referring to wash,D.C. or any state legislature buildings.

Jackdog

Guest ProguninTN
I agree... I have never seen a crook in a suit. Or is it, all crooks wear a suit? Its one or the other:D

:rant: That is funny. I do agree that dress may play some role when open carrying. I have open carried while wearing jeans with a tucked-in collared shirt. No one seemed frightened. I guess they figured I did not look like a thug, or they thought I was an LEO.

Loads of 'em in Nashville and Washington...

Only they use a pen to rob you, rather than a gun

Guest db99wj
Loads of 'em in Nashville and Washington...

Only they use a pen to rob you, rather than a gun

I work for a "big" bank! :rant::rant::stare:

Guest db99wj

By the way, since I posted my real answer, it has changed. I wear the CTAC IWB 99% of the time. A may or may not wear my Serpa at the range. The CTAC is just that good. Getting warmer, I need to start experimenting with wearing shorts and carrying.

Getting warmer, I need to start experimenting with wearing shorts and carrying.

I know it sounds funky, but Thunderwear actually works pretty well for some situations. If you need to be some place without a shirt or something, it does work. I only would use it for a small pistol that you KNOW isn't going to go off inadvertently, but I know people who pack some larger handguns there.

I hear it can impress the girls at the Burger King drive through! :D

Guest Phantom6

Thunderwear? OH Heck no! Don't want to take a chance on blasting something I might want to use later.:D That would certainly be an Oscar Sierra moment

Though the law here presents no requirement to conceal, I'll be damned if I want to be the first casualty in the mini-mart heist. With not much effort you can conceal a service model pistol fairly easily even with shorts and a t-shirt.

• Administrator

Though the law here presents no requirement to conceal, I'll be damned if I want to be the first casualty in the mini-mart heist.

This is a very good point that I don't think I've seen anyone else here make until now. There is no overstating the value of the element of surprise.

Not to say that it couldn't happen... but does anybody know of any instance where a private citizen was targetted first during a robbery, etc because they were openly carrying a firearm? I haven't... but if I missed it, I would like to read what happened.

There are some situations in which it is indeed prudent for your weapon to not be visible... Simple common-sense. But, then again, not every technique works the way one would assume, in every situation.

Just like preferences in caliber, ammo, and firearm... overkill to one person, is the best solution to the problem at-hand, for another.

Guest Phantom6

molonlabetn wrote:

"... targetted first during a robbery, etc because they were openly carrying a firearm? I haven't..."

I haven't seen or heard any statistics on this either. Perhaps it is because most folks do carry concealed. Either that or most bad guys are just too stupid to look. In the case they are too stupid to notice and even if "my slip is showing" they'll never know I have a firearm until they hear the round go off.

I learned (the hard way back when I was young and unwise) a long time ago that wise individuals constantly are situationally aware. When I go to a market I tend to look in as I pass the front windows for turds that may be floating around the shop. I'd say that it's probably the fact that bad guys have a hard enough time focusing on the hold-up itself that they don't inspect their AO as well as they should. Bad for them- GOOD FOR ME!

Besides, considering "Murphy" rides on my six, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I voted as "concealed." I carry concealed the vast majority of the time for several reasons. Since it's illegal to carry in an establishment that sells alcohol, I have to be concealed when if I was going to carry somewhere like that. Not, saying I do, mind you. Just saying "IF."

I have a bad habit of going out late at night to get gas, and I don't bother to put on a concealment garment. From time to time, I have stopped in a local donut shop or convenience store while I was out, and never had a problem. The other night, I went into an all night Autozone with no problem. No one even looked twice. BUT, it's very rare that I would do that.

Guest LegalRaptor

I prefer concealed except at the range or in my home. I see no need to make my neighbors concerned for their kids, or create potential rift in the neighborhood, and I like to keep the BGs guessing, too. As long as we carry concealed, every person a BG sees is potentially a risk. Might give him pause.

I prefer concealed except at the range or in my home. I see no need to make my neighbors concerned for their kids, or create potential rift in the neighborhood, and I like to keep the BGs guessing, too. As long as we carry concealed, every person a BG sees is potentially a risk. Might give him pause.

It would probably give them more pause if they saw a bunch of people running around with a gun on their hip.

There are some good reasons to carry concealed, and I generally do so in most public situations, but the reason is not because I give a sh*t what the neighbors might think. It would probably do the neighbor's kids some good to see decent people packing a gun to protect themselves from thugs.

...As long as we carry concealed, every person a BG sees is potentially a risk. Might give him pause.

Sadly, most BGs don't think this way... As unlikely they are, even in this state, to come across an armed victim; overwhelmingly most would-be assailants likely assume that if their prey is not visibly armed, then they probably aren't. Most likely, few even consider lethal resistance a remote possibility.

Alternatly, if everyone of mature age and non-criminal background carried a weapon, visibly, the deterrence factor would be astronomical!

I generally carry concealed but I also don't make any special effort to make sure my gun doesn't show unless the situation call forkeeping a low profile

Ditto. It's good that the law isn't specific, I conceal my handgun but don't have to worry about the bottom of the holster showing if I reach for something at the store, or it is printed somewhat by the shirt I wear.

Guest Phantom6

Marswolf wrote:

It would probably do the neighbor's kids some good to see decent people packing a gun to protect themselves from thugs.

True, True. Plus, if they have a proclivity towards juvenile delinquency it might make them think twice about making bad decisions.

At the very least it may make 'em think twice about TP-ing your yard when they get a wild hair. That stuff is a "Bitch" to get out of trees. :up:

I'm in a semi-rural setting. I have about a 500 foot drive off of the county road to get into my place. Other houses are along the road. It didn't take the neighborhood kids long to spot my USP 40 on my side when I checked the mailbox. They asked if I was a cop.

They were cool with having a neighbor that carries a gun. Good kids, I think. But it never hurts to remind kids that some people can take care of themselves.

Guest DEIMOS

I have started carrying everyday, a big risk in my current situation. I, by necessity, always conceal. I was very paraniod at first, but something that I have noticed has caused me to relax. Most people do not expect you to be carrying, therefore they do not look for weapons. Even LEOs I have casually come into contact with have not noticed, talk about sweating bullets.

Right now I have an uncle mikes OWB, waiting to get a CTAC IWB, that should make things more low key.