Bredesen hopes for gun laws rollback

Bredesen hopes for gun laws rollback | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Governor says most in Tennessee oppose firearms in bars, parks

By Richard Locker • THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL • July 15, 2009

Gov. Phil Bredesen said Tuesday he hopes the state legislature will roll back some of the gun laws it passed this year at the urging of what he described as a relatively small number of "passionate" people.

He predicted a backlash from a majority of Tennesseans whom he said have become energized over some of the "craziness" in the guns-in-bars and guns-in-parks laws.

Restaurant owners and local governments are exercising their “opt-out” authority to keep their businesses and local parks gun-free zones.

Shelby County and Republican-heavy areas including Brentwood, Germantown and Williamson County on Monday removed all their local parks from the new law allowing handgun-carry permit holders to carry their guns in the parks.

Nashville also is considering opting out of the guns-in-parks law. Metro Council members are set for the second of three required votes on the measure next week.

Edited by threeshot
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess his true colors are showing now that he can't run again.

He is positioning himself for an appointment. He was not liberal enough to satisfy the powers that be for Health Secretary, cut too many dead beats off the TENN CARE rolls, he is trying now to show that he is in line with the Fed. Administration, necessary to get that nod.

I would say a few passionate people actually care either way. The only people who really appear to be strongly against it are a few media loving lawyer whores and some local reps.

I don't buy that "the majority" of people are against it. The majority is either uninformed by the liberal media, don't care, or just to dumb to even understand what's going on in the big scary world past the E! channel.

Guest GT_Rat

I don't buy the majority being against it because of the representatives that the majority put in congress. I think we'll also see a lot of city and county boards/councils having some serious turnover next election as well when the majority votes those that aren't representative of their needs out of office. I also think we'll see a lot of the vociferous restaurant owners that post their establishments having a change of heart when the find they aren't making the profits they used to.

Too many people start thinking they aren't accountable to the people who put them where they are, whether it is a constituency or a customer base, when they achieve a measure of success. I think the idea of the "self made man" is a concession to vanity. None of us really make ourselves. The business man relies on customers wanting or needing his product. The politician relies on voters believing he represents their interests.

Most of the debate is people trying to avoid that accountability.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I think the newspaper is trying to keep the controversy alive. The "respond to this article" are online always has high numbers of responses whenever they have a guns article.

I agree. The media wants to keep it alive because it sells, Governor Bredesen wants to keep it alive because they overrode his veto and that makes him look bad. The Lawyers like Dread want to keep it alive because it keeps them in the public eye. Its not about guns, its about power and money - plain and simple.

If a true majority of people were aggressively against carry in restaurants or parks then we would see more public protests. Instead, what we really have are the majority of people who really don't care one way or another but if asked (depending on the question's phrasing) would say they are against it. What I would love to see is simple yes or no question. Then, if they say they are against it ask them if the fact that 39 other states allow carry in restaurants and there has been almost 0% issues with it, would they change their mind... You'd get a few people who wouldn't change their mind even if the stats show legal carry in restaurants/parks actually make it 50% safer, but I have a feeling that the rest, when educated, would actually change their minds.

Matthew

Guest kdpate

Un-real......:shake::shake:

I said it once in a response on News channel 5's opinion poll. Most people are too damn lazy to educate themselves on the law and expect someone else to feed them the "Cliff Notes" version of it no matter what their point of view is. ;) As far as Bredesen, Dread, Rayburn, and the other screwballs that show ther true colors on this law, they need to take a long walk off of a short pier....:sadwave:

Did anyone watch NewsChannel 5 this morning and the guy they interviewed???? Looked like he lost his last brain cell to Budweiser saying "guns and bars don't mix"....:down:

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Un-real......:shake::shake:

I said it once in a response on News channel 5's opinion poll. Most people are too damn lazy to educate themselves on the law and expect someone else to feed them the "Cliff Notes" version of it no matter what their point of view is. ;) As far as Bredesen, Dread, Rayburn, and the other screwballs that show ther true colors on this law, they need to take a long walk off of a short pier....:sadwave:

Did anyone watch NewsChannel 5 this morning and the guy they interviewed???? Looked like he lost his last brain cell to Budweiser saying "guns and bars don't mix"....:down:

Hey, that guy is RIGHT! Can you imagine what a blood bath it would be if a bunch of dang rednecks were allowed to carry their guns into bars!?! Oh the humanity.. oh the carnage... oh... eh? that started Tuesday? and there haven't been mass drunken killing sprees? Well why does the news keep trying to sell me on how bad its going to be then? Morons, all of 'em

Hey, that guy is RIGHT! Can you imagine what a blood bath it would be if a bunch of dang rednecks were allowed to carry their guns into bars!?! Oh the humanity.. oh the carnage... oh... eh? that started Tuesday? and there haven't been mass drunken killing sprees? Well why does the news keep trying to sell me on how bad its going to be then? Morons, all of 'em

I can just hear Bugs Bunny saying "

"! :devil: Edited by OngoingFreedom
Added youtube link
Isn't it amazing that we the people do not matter at all. I thought the elected officials were elected to represent the people who elected them. Amazing after they get elected how their ideas change.

That needs to be the take away from all this.

If we are to be in any way effective we must get involved.

If 50% of gun owners were to decide to become vocal, dedicated activist, the situation would change dramatically.

ACORN proved that a grass roots effort can have tremendous effects in a political contest, and that is what our struggle to keep and regain our 2nd Amendment rights is, a beauty contest, like cheerleader elections in high school, we need to make signs and noise!

There is no right or wrong, legal or Constitutional issue here, it is simply a popularity contest on the Legislative level, and if gun owners are not involved with their time and money, the right to keep and bear arms will slowly erode as the carpetbaggers take more and more of the Freedoms purchased by our progenitors right out from under our noses, and it will be nobody's fault but our own.

It all starts on the local level, political issues can be swayed at the seed house, the parts store, Church and little league ball games.

Samuel Adams said "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds."

Educate your friends, relatives and co-workers to the truth regarding firearms. Advocate for liberty and freedom, learn the simple truths that our Founders understood when they bet their lives and fortunes to birth this Nation. Study and grasp the facts surrounding the issues that liberalism tries so hard to plow under in today's discussions relative to 2nd Amendment rights.

Adams also said "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Gentlefolk, I believe that time is now.

I get more and more pissed every time I hear someone talking about 'sensible' laws that restrict my civil liberties.

I fell you on this, makes me very angry.

Pretty much have the conclussion to do what my heart tells me is right.

Guest jos2f

It's sad when you know anytime the local newspaper (Tennessean) posts an article about guns, it will be concerning anti-gun measures or opinions. WTB un-biased newspaper

Guest Spuds
Bredesen hopes for gun laws rollback | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Governor says most in Tennessee oppose firearms in bars, parks

By Richard Locker • THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL • July 15, 2009

Gov. Phil Bredesen said Tuesday he hopes the state legislature will roll back some of the gun laws it passed this year at the urging of what he described as a relatively small number of "passionate" people.

He predicted a backlash from a majority of Tennesseans whom he said have become energized over some of the "craziness" in the guns-in-bars and guns-in-parks laws.

or . . . . .

The passionate people (who number more than he cares to admit) might continue right where things left off, defeating the local officials who vote to "opt out" their municipalities' parks when they are up for re-election; not patronizing those business whose owners are so vocal about prohibiting guns in there establishments (and maybe those who aren't so vocal but post nonetheless; ) and otherwise sending the message that law abiding citizens' rights must not be restricted by insane laws which criminals, by their very nature, will pay no heed to.