Permit Class overview

Guest jrhbb

Guest jrhbb

Just became a member about two minutes ago so first I would like to say hey to everyone. Glad we have sites like this one. had no idea this site existed. Anyways, just had a few quick questions that I would like to have resolved. My wife and I are going to take our permit class next week. My wife is concerned about the shooting part of the class. Can anyone tell me the requirements to the shooting part of the class. I bought her a Taurus 38 special last weekend and have only been able to go to the range once since she got it and she isn't 100% confortable with it yet. I am going to try to go this weekend again to let her get a little better affiliated with it. Thanks, Jason

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TN requires 12 shots each at 3,7, 10 yards and 12 more at instructor's option, which is usually one of those distances.

Target is human sized torso, 70% hits required.

One who has never even fired a pistol should be able to pass, as long as they aren't afraid of the thing too much to hold it steady.

And by the way, any gun will do, even a .22.

edit: sorry, it's 3, 7, 15 yards + instructor's choice. Total 48 rounds.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest foister82

When i took my class we had 4 ladies who had never fired a weapon prior to that week, and one lady who had JUST bought her gun that morning... she passed with an 80% hit rate. As long as she doesnt worry too much during the live fire sessions she'll be fine

Tell her not to sweat it. If she's breathing and practices basic firearms safety, she'll likely pass with flying colors. It's pretty darn easy. Plus, she doesn't have to score 100%.

Another range trip could never hurt, but there was more than one person in my class who'd never stepped foot on a range, and they passed with ease.

Most of the shots will be fired from within 21 feet or so. Many of which will be far closer. Tell her to take her time and concentrate on her shooting, not how others are doing. She doesn't have to rush through it.

Everything is very basic. There will be no tacticool cartwheel shots, or shooting from behind trash dumpsters. Simply stand still while shooting at a stationary target that's nearly the size of an average person.

When it's over, she'll laugh at herself for stressing over it so much.

Best of luck to both of you. Keep us posted.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest GimpyLeg

My wife and several others qualified with a .22. She now has her .38spl. Being comfortable with the weapon is important whan qualifying IMHO.

Guest 3pugguy

+ a whole bunch and a100% gree with all the other posters - have your wife (and you, too for that matter) qualify with a .22, then carry whatever you want (but DO practice and learn safety, etc, with the carry gun).

.22 is a heck of a lot cheaper for practice, too and fun (we have a Browning Buckmark that is a lot fun to plink with at the range or out in the woods). I like to shoot my 9MM, but always take the Buckmark, too, cause it's a nice shooting gun.

And practice with the same targets the place uses where you'll do your shooting and at the same ranges.

Have fun, be safe and Welcome.

Guest jrhbb

Thanks for the feed back guys. I told her not to worry about it, but she gets nervous when she thinks people are watching. We shot at a silhouette target the other day she could hit center mass for the most part. Craziest thing though. You put a Mtn. Dew can out at 10 yards she can hit it most every time. Put a silhouette out there and her group is everywhere. Told her that if anyone breaks in our house just throw them a drink and have at it. LOL. I think once we get to the range this weekend she will be much more comfortable with it. Plus she has 200 rounds this time rather than the 50 last weekend. Thanks again, Jason

Guest 270win

Do instructors in Tennessee require those students to show that they can safely holster and unholster a handgun? What about those who want to carry a semi auto do they have to qualify with a semi auto? I had to show my instructor in Arkansas that i could safely unholster my handgun as shown in our class, load my semi auto, and after qualifying all shots at 10 yards, safely holster the handgun as shown in class. If you qualify in Arkansas with a semi auto, you can carry a semi auto OR revolver. If you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. My instructor would not qualify a person with a Berretta tip barrel who could not rack a slide as qualifying with a semi auto.

Did you all have to sign medical release forms here b/c we did in Arkansas for the state police? Just curious what the initial process was like in Tennessee. I got a handgun carry permit through reciprocity without taking a TN class or getting fingerprinted.....just paid fifty bucks.

Guest eyebedam

^^^ Here it doesn't matter what you qualify with you can carry anything here. Also being able to holster & unholster your weapon doesn't have anything to do with the class here either although if you can't holster your weapon you probably shouldn't be carrying anyway. Enjoy the class the best you can it is somewhat boring ESP the video part but I'm sure you will learn something new.

+ a whole bunch and a100% gree with all the other posters - have your wife (and you, too for that matter) qualify with a .22, then carry whatever you want (but DO practice and learn safety, etc, with the carry gun).

+1

My wife and I both qualified with a 22. But...as has been stated...practice often with what you are planning to carry.

And by the way, any gun will do, even a .22.

Interesting ... Executive Protection in Tullahoma will not allow qualification on any caliber smaller than 9mm or .32 (might even be .38). I questioned them on my .380, as my Browning BDA .380 is the same size as a compact 9mm... and they said ok.

Guest bkelm18

Obviously a school can tack on any extra requirements if they wish, just as long as they at least do the state requirements.

Guest GimpyLeg

Southern Shot & Steel (ie Brian Rutledge) here in Fayetteville will let you qualify with a .22. He told me that if a student brought the ammo for the class, he had a few .22 loaners if they were needed. Don't know if loaning is his general practice or not, though. Excellent instructor!

Guest dizzielizzie

Don't sweat it! Class is to go over state laws (try not to fall asleep during the state video) & safe handling of guns.

They just want to make sure you know what you're doing.

Guest 1shot

All you have to do is put 36 out of 48 rounds on a human size target. If the instructor of the course is worth his salt he will teach you how to shoot properly so you can put those 48 shot on the target. For those just learning to shoot use a 22 like a Ruger MKII or III. That is what we use to qualify everybody that takes our course. We supply the ammo and pistol.

In the class room part take good notes. Endure the video. I know the kids at the local high school could make a better video than this one. Many of the things they tell you in that video are not the law any more. I just love the part where the LEO points out the "Glock 357 magnum" :screwy: Glock does not make a 357 magnum. If you fail the course your instructor did not do his job or you shot somebody during the course.

Guest 270win

That is interesting that instructors are letting people qualify in Tennessee with 22LR pistols...it sounds like to pass people who really do not know how to shoot. I knew how to shoot (and carried a handgun since 18) before I took my concealed handgun license class in Arkansas. It was more of a paperwork formality for me to be legal in other states that I traveled to via license reciprocity. I qualified with a Glock 19 9mm..which is what i carried at the time..the same thing coincidently that my state LEO instructor carried.

My instructor in Arkansas made it clear that if you did not know how to shoot, you needed to learn how to shoot first in a basic handgun course, THEN come back and take his concealed handgun license class. For example, those who liked to rack slides with finger on the trigger or handle the handgun with finger on the trigger did not pass. He did not want someone who was more of a danger to himself and others trying to qualify on a range with loaned centerfire handgun (he usually loaned Glocks to those who forgot a handgun).

There are so many fine points, like trigger finger discipline, holstering, and breathing control, that cannot be taught to someone who has never fired a handgun in a typical licensing class timeframe and then expect them to be competent enough to safely carry a handgun for protection.

I was very pleased with my class in Arkansas and glad that I did not have to take the Tennessee class when getting a handgun carry permit when moving here.

Edited by 270win

My instructor in Arkansas made it clear that if you did not know how to shoot, you needed to learn how to shoot first in a basic handgun course, THEN come back and take his concealed handgun license class.

Your instructor sounds like a tool to me.

Guest bkelm18

If you can hit a target with a .22, then how do you not know how to shoot? The HCP course is not a training session. It teaches you the law and proves that you at least know how to point and shoot a weapon. Would seem kinda silly to deny someone from getting a permit to protect their lives if they don't feel confident yet to shoot anything bigger than a .22.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest 1shot

In our class we not only teach what is required by law but we also teach people how to shoot. We do this with Ruger MKII 22's because it is easier to learn proper trigger control etc with a soft recoiling pistol. The people that have never shot before usually end up shooting the best scores because they learn how to shoot properly. Most of our students will put all 48 rounds inside the 9 ring with most of those inside the 10 and X ring. After they qual if they have a pistol of their own that they want to shoot we work with them as long as they want to shoot. We also offer to come back to the range with them and allow them more instruction and practice any time they want. We teach the class to help people not just to make money like some others.

Interesting ... Executive Protection in Tullahoma will not allow qualification on any caliber smaller than 9mm or .32 (might even be .38). I questioned them on my .380, as my Browning BDA .380 is the same size as a compact 9mm... and they said ok.

you will also pay twice as much as anywhere else.

my wife, who had fired no more than 20 rounds in her life, passed the class with a 9mm. i passed with a .357 mag. you're shooting at a big target from close range, it's hard to fail.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I actually thought it was too easy, but it is practical. Most encounters will occur in the covered ranges. Relax. It is just paper. Hit the X.

Guest jrhbb

Well we got certified. I was amazed at my wife. What ever they taught they got the message across to her. She hit 47 out of 48!!. I am so proud and a little bit relieved. The last time at the range kinda worried me. Now we just got all the red tape and we're there.