Took m HCP Class today

Guest momuzyk

Guest momuzyk

I know not a big deal to me but I took my HCP class today at Guns N Leather and passed. Don't know why but the wkend took forever to get here and I was anxious and nervous at the same time. Now I feel like I'm 16 & just got my driver's license...

:screwy::cool::devil:

Got an 87 on written portion and 100 on the range. For it being my 1st time shooting I was very happy! For the experts what do I need to practice or correct in order to improve my skills. I do realize this was the bare minimum to learn and now its up to me to improve my skill set!

100_4056.jpg

100_4055.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the range and shoot. The more you practice the better you will get. In addition, determine what pistol you are going to carry and practice practice practice.

Congrats on the class. Be safe

Guest bkelm18

For your first time, I'd say you did extremely well. Hit the range and hit it often. There is no such thing as too much practice or too much training when it comes to saving your life.

Guest beefcakeb0

awesome...not trying to brag at all because im not even that great of a shot but i put 23 shots in the neck during mine... lol i was showing off when i did it though because i was using a single action .22 revolver...lol

i would recommend finding your most comfy pistol, and holster combo that you can be accurate with.... and like the herd say practice those neckshots!!!

Edited by beefcakeb0
Guest momuzyk
what was the gun used in the test? .22lr?

Yes it was 22lr, thats what they had at the class to shoot with. Thanks for all of the comments and tips. I do have glock 19 which is what I will start practicing on & carry.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

You did really well for a first time shooter. Much better than most. The best advice I can give to continue to improve is Dry Fire practice. Get some snap caps and practice trigger control as much as you can.

Please though, and I speak from painful experience, PUT ALL AMMO IN A DIFFERENT ROOM while dry firing. repairing floors, ceilings, walls and floors because of a stupid oversight is something you don't want to have to live with - trust me on that.

Guest momuzyk
Hey, good job! I think I was in the same class as you :) Looks like both you and my sister are a better shot than me, lol! :P

hcp.th.jpg

Thanks for the comments, looks like you did well yourself. Looks like everyone passed. Has anyone failed & had to retake the test before?

You did really well for a first time shooter. Much better than most. The best advice I can give to continue to improve is Dry Fire practice. Get some snap caps and practice trigger control as much as you can.

Please though, and I speak from painful experience, PUT ALL AMMO IN A DIFFERENT ROOM while dry firing. repairing floors, ceilings, walls and floors because of a stupid oversight is something you don't want to have to live with - trust me on that.

Thanks for the comments as well, I'm very eager to get out on the range and start practicing!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest momuzyk

Ok, finally got around to making it to dmv today. Funny thing is they opened at 7am so I got there at 6:40 to one of 1st in line. Well when I pulled up there were already 6 people in front of me and by time 7am rolled around just before they opened the doors, the line was at 21 people. Well once I got in it was that bad of a wait & to my suprise in the 45 min or so I was waiting, there were 4 other people(2 females/2 males) getting their HCP as well. So I guess they are applying in record numbers.

The thing that got me worried was that the two clerks behind the counter once I was done joked and stated ok with all the apps you should get it in about 4 months. After that had to find a fingerprinting place. I think this is done on purpose for us to jump through another hoop because they could just as easily do fingerprints there as well. Well I go those done today as well so now the real waiting game begins!

:D:popcorn::D

IMHO more important than practice would be training. Contrary to conventional wisdom I would say practice does NOT make perfect...but practice does make permanent. So with no training practice will reinforce bad habits.

I would recommend CIS. Todd and Dustin rock.

If you carry you have to train.

Fam you already know i got you on the practice and training. next time you come to clarksville or the next time im up your way we will go shooting.

IMHO more important than practice would be training. Contrary to conventional wisdom I would say practice does NOT make perfect...but practice does make permanent. So with no training practice will reinforce bad habits.

I would recommend CIS. Todd and Dustin rock.

If you carry you have to train.

This +100

I will in fact say since you are new, do not go practice. Find a good carry holster for the gun you will be carrying and go take an intermediate class. Do not go practice, unless you are good friends with a highly trained individual who can give you personal training. Barring that go take a class. Do Not have to undo bad habits. It is always easier to create good habits from the start. A good class will be invaluable, you don't even know. AS Rumsfeld says, you don't know what you don't know and being new to this you don't know a whole lot. But, only after a class will you start to 'get it'

After the class then practice practice practice. That's my advice..

• 1 month later...
Call and check on it after about 3 weeks. For some reason, that seems to speed the process along.

I havent been on in awhile but I took everyone's advice. Went to dmv on 07/31, called & checked on 08/24. A female answered who was very nice and advised me it had been issued on o the 08/19. It happened to be postmarked the day after I called on 08/25 & I received it Friday 08/28.

:drool::D:)

I also ordered a duplicate as well. I didn't receive it when permit came so I called on it yesterday and was told it was issued seperately on 09/09 so it should be here any day now!

Calling and checking on it has no effect on the process, positive or negative. If it makes you feel better, do it.

Well, whether it works or not...I have it so I'm happy!

Edited by momuzyk