165 grain vs 180 grain for a .40?

S&W ammo for my FNP-40. Which is the best for self defense, or is the difference negligible? The 165 grain has a higher velocity...but does the 180 make a wider or deeper channel? I searched here and googled it but couldn't find much either way so I wondered if there isn't much difference?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The .40S&W is an excellent defensive round in either weight. That’s why so many PD’s have switched to it.

Velocity means nothing until you apply surface area and mass.

In this particular caliber it’s personal preference; whichever you can shoot better.

heavier grains are better utilized in the longer barrels. i would guess that the 180 would be best in a 5" barrel and lower the weight of the bullet for shorter barrels.

for example a .45 is best when used as a 230gr. bullet in a 5" barrel (standard 1911 configuration) and compensate for other configurations, 200gr. for 4" barrel, 185gr. for 3" barrel etc.

i am not familiar with the weights of factory .40 ammo bullets but normally take the heaviest commercially available bullet for the caliber and put it for the 5" barrel and compensate for the shorter barrels

heavier grains are better utilized in the longer barrels. i would guess that the 180 would be best in a 5" barrel and lower the weight of the bullet for shorter barrels.

for example a .45 is best when used as a 230gr. bullet in a 5" barrel (standard 1911 configuration) and compensate for other configurations, 200gr. for 4" barrel, 185gr. for 3" barrel etc.

i am not familiar with the weights of factory .40 ammo bullets but normally take the heaviest commercially available bullet for the caliber and put it for the 5" barrel and compensate for the shorter barrels

Hmmmmmm.......Not necessarily. Some manufactures may use faster powders with their lighter bullets than with their heavier ones and that may have given life to this theory of lighter bullet should = shorter barrel.

However, depending on how fast the powder that the manufacture is using, it can either eliminate or exacerbate any drop in fps within an inch or two of barrel length. Most (not all) over the counter pistol ammo uses pretty fast burning powder and chances are good that any loss of FPS will be well within the standard deviation and probably would have more to do with barrel specs/wear etc. than it does barrel length.

You may be aware that Speer and a couple other ammo companies are offering short barrel ammo. This is just ammo made with faster burning powder to help eliminate powder that is burnt after the bullet has left the barrel that results in wasted energy that would normally push the bullet to faster velocity. So, 230g ammo using very fast powder will loose practically nothing in a shorter barrel. Conversely, 185g ammo when using slower powders can/will.

yes and from what i have noticed, the ones loaded with the faster-burning powders(advertised as such) are almost always either a medium to light weight bullet. in .45 it would be 200gr or 185gr. or possibly even the 165g. but i believe that is usually used in low recoil versions.

but yes with a faster burning powder you can use the heavier bullet without having the excess unburnt powder.

however, my personal opinion is to use the heaviest bullet you can with the exception of a 3" barrel or less, then you should use short-barrel specific ammo with the faster burning powder.

I have always been a fan of the CorBon 135 grain load. It was rated at 1325fps with a a 135 HP. I did chrono that load and it does perform as advertised. As to short barrel loads, most any handgun is going to develop most of it's velocity in the first 2 inches of barrel with a modest increase, depending on pressure and powder burn rate, for every inch beyond that. The big advantage to fast powders in short barrels is lower muzzle flash. Any powder that is proper for the caliber and bullet will usually gain velocity in a short barrel as well as a longer barrel but the flash gets a lot worse as the barrel gets shorter. I used to shoot some of my 2400 loads in a 44 snubbie for kicks. Still gave great velocities but it was a flame thrower. Still accurate though. On the other end, again for kicks, I have loaded large quantities of H110 in a 357 w/110 grain bullets and the velocities were real erratic, from 900fps-1500fps in the same cylinder, but the flash at dusk is fantastic.

I carry the DoubleTap 155gr .40 S&W.

Ballistics : 155gr. @ 1275fps / 560 ft/lbs- Glock 23 (4.0"bbl)

I'd rather have a little larger bullet and only loose 50fps over the 135gr load from CorBon.

Guest Todd@CIS

180 vs. 165

Performance wise, it's pretty much 6 of one / half dozen of the other.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

I would add the 165 Gold Dot to this list. It used to not be a great performer, but it has since been tweaked to offer great terminal ballistics.

http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx

By a box of both...go with the more accurate (groups and point-of-aim) of the two from your gun (assuming both are 100% reliable).

Something else to consider, I have found that 180s recoil less than 165s.

Edited by Todd@CIS

I find the lighter bullets a little more accurate, especially the 135gr, I carry 180 HP and 165 FMJ in a spare mag. Remember if it happens, it will be close.